KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » The Gamer

The Gamer
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

The Gamer

The Gamer is a manga about a college-age man who all of a sudden wakes up with a special ability: the world around him as turned into an RPG. He can see people's levels, observe traits about objects, and even level up just like a real video game!!!

This manga/manhwa is the funnest manga I have ever read. I may be too excited about it but I honestly believe this is now my favorite manga of all time. ALL TIME. This is due to me fantasizing, as a kid, about the world turning into an RPG. If you ever enjoyed some of the RPG elements of the Elder Scrolls game, you'll enjoy this manga. He trains really hard, he levels up. He uses a skill over and over, that skill levels up.

The manhwa starts out with him being VASTLY weaker than even weak characters. He slowly trains more and more and becomes able to curb stomp "stronger than minor characters." Some people HATE the fact that he is such a broken character. But the main character's best friend breaks the 4th wall and makes mention of the fact of how broken the main character is. What makes the manhwa even more fun is the main character makes some of the decisions that critical thinkers might think of in a world like this: he invests TONS of stat points into "intelligence" so he can...you know...make more intelligent decisions. It's hilarious how broken it is. The main character even breaks the 4th wall by mentioning how hilariously cheaty he is with his ideas.*

Not all characters are these "special abilities." Like most "special abilities", the special characters are born with them. But what sets apart the main character from others is he was a major MMORPG fan that played games obsessively. He is, at least once, referred to as the "God of Grinding" and, really, this is why he gets so strong (relatively...even at this point into the manhwa, even moderate characters would destroy him): he grinds ALL the time to become stronger.

It is hinted at that there are absurdly powerful players in this world. This "world" is called "The Abyss." Characters that are at least 50 levels higher than the main character show just question marks, "??", above their heads when he tries to observe them. His mother is one of them. lol

Anywho, read the shit out of this manhwa. I read all the of the chapters over the course of 3 days. I could not stop reading it.

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/the_gamer/

*A slight spoiler...do NOT read until you get through 30-ish chapters.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: He invests over 130 points into "intelligence." To put into perspective how intelligent that is, very very smart regular humans have an intelligence score of 25-30. He gets so smart that he can read something once and remember it perfectly. He is on par with some of the worlds best savants, at this point. But...it is hinted at that some heavy hitters are much much more powerful than he is which is scary to think other characters are pushing "Superhumanly intelligence", out there. Wisdom is hinted at being super important, too, and he starts to invest in that, as well.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jan 20th, 2015 at 03:14 PM

Old Post Jan 20th, 2015 03:10 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

Glad to see I'm not the only one who reads it.

He sure became much more of a beast in the more recent chapters too.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2015 10:10 PM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

Umm... I just started reading this, and I can tell it's amazing.

Thank you, Dadudemon sempai.

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2015 01:46 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth
Ranger

Yeah, I've been reading this for a couple of months now. I love the concept and can't wait to see how Han Jee Han starts utilizing some of the other skills he picked up a couple of chapters ago. c:

For Fritos.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2015 12:52 AM
Stealth is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by danteiscool
Glad to see I'm not the only one who reads it.

He sure became much more of a beast in the more recent chapters too.

thumb up

Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
Umm... I just started reading this, and I can tell it's amazing.

Thank you, Dadudemon sempai.

laughing

Originally posted by Stealth
Yeah, I've been reading this for a couple of months now. I love the concept and can't wait to see how Han Jee Han starts utilizing some of the other skills he picked up a couple of chapters ago. c:

Yeah, it seems like this manhwa could get unbelievably complicated with too many abilities, very quickly, if the author doesn't make him focus on particular skills.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2015 12:56 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

Yeah, as it is, Jee-han already has a few boatloads of skills, both active and passive, so the author is going to have to make him round himself out in a certain way. Not to say that he isn't already doing just that, but still...

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2015 09:46 PM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote