KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Where do you buy your manga?

Where do you buy your manga?
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Where do you buy your manga?

Looking to start collecting Dark Horse Berserk again, and checking out Amazon.

6 dollars is the best you could get for "used"? I guess everyone gouges on Amazon now, but that's ridiculous for a used book, when it costs 10 new..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 12:50 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

I usually go to comic book stores and places like Barnes and Noble, Half Price Books, and Hastings. I sometimes order stuff from Right Stuf when they have their sales. I've had some bad experiences with Amazon so I don't buy manga from them anymore.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 01:27 PM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Local bookstores, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-million. Local comic store.

Online I do B&N.com since if you have a membership (which I do) there's free shipping.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm

6 dollars is the best you could get for "used"? I guess everyone gouges on Amazon now, but that's ridiculous for a used book, when it costs 10 new..

Most Amazon marketplace sellers aren't really looking to do discounted stuff.

Note the shipping as well- $4 is the minimum for market place ones. That's why you'll occasionally see 'one-cent' books, because the profit is entirely in the shipping cost.

Last edited by Q99 on Apr 17th, 2015 at 01:49 PM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 01:47 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Seen a few items that normally list between 10-15 with shipping selling for a buck with 50 dollars shipping. O_O

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 04:29 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by cdtm
Seen a few items that normally list between 10-15 with shipping selling for a buck with 50 dollars shipping. O_O

Oh, that's just scam.

You also see tons of items sold as 'collectable' for 10x more than they should be.

Really, Amazon needs to regulate their marketplace more. It's full of 'prices by algorythm, starting high and sloooowly lowering over months til someone bites, when the item doesn't justify it one bit.'

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 05:24 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlphaVortex

I bought all volumes of Get Backers from a Dojin convention for only $50.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2015 05:39 PM
AlphaVortex is currently offline Click here to Send AlphaVortex a Private Message Find more posts by AlphaVortex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Originally posted by Q99
Oh, that's just scam.

You also see tons of items sold as 'collectable' for 10x more than they should be.

Really, Amazon needs to regulate their marketplace more. It's full of 'prices by algorythm, starting high and sloooowly lowering over months til someone bites, when the item doesn't justify it one bit.'

Exactly. Volume 8 of Eden It's An Endless World! took years to go down from $300+ to $93 but that's still ridiculous. I'm just glad I saw a set of the volumes somewhere without having to cripple my bank account just for one book. I did spend $37 bucks for Volume 7 of Battle Angel Alita Last Order but I wasn't sure another chance like that would ever come again since it was out of print during that time. It can suck being a manga fan when a certain volume of your favorite series is a rarer site than a UFO.

Last edited by Markness on Apr 20th, 2015 at 02:16 AM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2015 02:07 AM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Now that I think about it, it can suck being a manga fan in general. I live in an area that cares more about the latest football game, cars (I know, I have a car myself but I don't see what makes them so great except for getting you to point A to point B), getting drunk to the point you pass out, smoking until your body stinks, judging everything that isn't Christian as being "satanic", and listening to the latest country music hit rather than appreciating art and alternative culture so I have to go out of town constantly for the stuff I want.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2015 02:27 AM
SSJGGogeta

There's this great website/app I buy them on, which allows me to buy them and download them to my phone and computer, and read them whenever I want. It's always very high quality, and there are sales more often then not. I bought the entire crisis on infinite Earth's series not too long ago, for like 6$.

There's also a plethora of manga, illustrated novels, etc.

The app is called "Comixology", and it's free to make an account, and download the app to your smart-phone, and there are even some things on there for free, occasionally. I definitely recommend checking it out. thumb up

I know that some people prefer to have actual copies, but this is the best option in my opinion, since you don't have to worry about them getting damaged, being lost in shipping, being the wrong thing you ordered, and the most common problem I used to face, which is that most comic stores never have the issues I want. This app though has pretty much all of them. It's got damn near any manga you can think of, including Naruto, DBZ, etc, and it's got just as many of Marvel comics, including things like the X-men series, Daredevil, Spiderman, and DC comics, like COIE's, Infinite crisis, Superman, Batman, The Sinestro corps war, and several other major story arcs, including the entirety of ALL issues, including side-stories and extra's, of the Blackest Night.

thumb up

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Last edited by SSJGGogeta on Apr 21st, 2015 at 01:47 AM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 01:42 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote