KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » the new hst

the new hst
Started by: chasedown

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chasedown
Show me the feats!!!

the new hst

once one piece and bleach come to an end this hst era will have come to a close....... who will be the next three manga to take up the mantle of hst?

my guess is Magi will be in there

"One must be willing to give his life for those he wishes to protect."

Old Post Apr 19th, 2015 03:50 PM
chasedown is currently offline Click here to Send chasedown a Private Message Find more posts by chasedown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

As if Bleach mattered to anyone

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 19th, 2015 04:10 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlphaVortex

Toriko for sure. Not sure about the others.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2015 05:27 PM
AlphaVortex is currently offline Click here to Send AlphaVortex a Private Message Find more posts by AlphaVortex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
As if Bleach mattered to anyone

Hey!

I like Bleach...

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2015 06:41 PM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

There won't be one. The age of the internet kinda makes it hard for 3 manga created at roughly the same time to make as big an impact both at home in Japan and abroad. And Shonen Jump itself is facing more competition in the market than in the heyday of the HST.

If I were a betting man I'd say the current generation of manga/anime will belong to Attack on Titan, which takes more from FMA and Death Note than Dragonball like the Big Three.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2015 06:44 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
Hey!

I like Bleach...

Once you read Battle Angel Alita, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanatsu no Taizai, and Toriko, Bleach will look silly compared to those series.

Originally posted by AuraAngel

If I were a betting man I'd say the current generation of manga/anime will belong to Attack on Titan, which takes more from FMA and Death Note than Dragonball like the Big Three.

Nanatsu no Taizai and Toriko draw a lot from Dragon Ball and they've been outselling AoT in Japan last I checked. NnT has actually been outselling One Piece lately but again just in Japan. American manga readers tend to not go for a series unless it has Naruto, Ichigo, Eren Jaeger, and to a lesser extent Luffy in it.
I personally never could get into AoT at all.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2015 01:54 AM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Here is the thing though: drawing from Dragonball is no longer that big a deal. In the early 00's and such DBZ dominated the Western market so when 3 manga come along that are similar to it(Bleach is more like YYH but whatever) they naturally took off. HST is more or less, as far as I know, a term that describes the manga that take off abroad. NnT and Toriko are not as popular, as far as I know.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2015 07:25 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Esomark
Once you read Battle Angel Alita, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanatsu no Taizai, and Toriko, Bleach will look silly compared to those series.

Bleach looks silly compared to Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure and Toriko? I know it's the 20th of April, but you need to cut back on the grass.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2015 07:33 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Originally posted by Astner
Bleach looks silly compared to Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure and Toriko? I know it's the 20th of April, but you need to cut back on the grass.

I don't smoke at all, thank you very much, and cry me a river.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2015 10:49 PM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

I don't smoke at all, thank you very much, and cry me a river.

Well then you're doing it wrong, because three out of the four series you listed are garbage, and I haven't even heard of "Battle angel Alita".

Face it, since Naruto is over, Bleach has inherited the throne of the HST, and will rule for another thousand years...

Or until a third anime comes to team up with SNK, and Parasyte the maxim...

wink

@ Thread: Anyway, my bet on the next HST is SNK, Parasyte, and... Probably OPM, when they finally release the anime.

Just my humble opinion.

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 01:38 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I'm not sure how Naruto passes on a throne it never had. One Piece was kinda always the big one of the big 3 and will remain the best selling manga of all time for quite a bit I'd imagine. Though it did suffer overseas sadly.

Right now the manga I'm most interested in are Ippo and Magi. The former exists in it's only little sub-genre of sports manga but it was so engrossing that I didn't care about reading a thousand chapters. And the latter is just churning out some of the best story telling in a long time. One Piece and Bleach are both dull with some interesting bits here or there but Magi is gripping me by doing things I would never had expected.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 04:02 AM
wakkawakkawakka

As far as sales are concerned AoT is nipping on One Piece's heels but, for the most part, it should still remain king. Meanwhile Bleach is barely in the top 20 as of late. Though both are lagging at the moment.

Now if only UQ Holder had a larger following because I'm not sure if I'm reading 1000 chapters of Ippo anytime soon.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 04:47 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Which is why I'm placing my bets on AoT. That and the stupendous success of a very well crafted anime.

Well Ippo isn't Shonen so never gonna be a HST member. Ippo is a series that is likely meant to be strictly read by volume. The pacing is oh so very slow at the moment but I still love it.

Read more Magi though. thumb up

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 05:14 AM
wakkawakkawakka

Speaking of anime adaptations, Toei Animation isn't doing One Piece any favors.

That seems fair, right now I'm just getting started with NnT(sorry Toriko) but I do plan on picking Ippo back up.

I'm caught up of Magi. Good stuff.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 05:21 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yungz22
In shrouded judgement

Originally posted by AuraAngel
Which is why I'm placing my bets on AoT. That and the stupendous success of a very well crafted anime.

Well Ippo isn't Shonen so never gonna be a HST member. Ippo is a series that is likely meant to be strictly read by volume. The pacing is oh so very slow at the moment but I still love it.

Read more Magi though. thumb up

Magi is the shitttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the main characters are better versions of naruto' 3 main characters

Alibaba-- character destined for greatest who will do whatever he can to save his country and friends. He also is trying to save his friend from darkness

Morgiana-----waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than sakura and every letter of he word. not useless like sakura is

Hakuryuu- better character than sasuke because he doesnt flip flop and is serious in ll of his convictions. He is a true avenger and a way better one than sasuke

We are True Avengers

Last edited by yungz22 on Apr 21st, 2015 at 04:18 PM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 04:13 PM
yungz22 is currently offline Click here to Send yungz22 a Private Message Find more posts by yungz22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XanatosForever
Steward of RP

Gods, yes, I adore Alita. I have to start buying the manga again, I lost track halfway through The Last Order.

...and I haven't even heard of "Battle angel Alita".

That's a shame, you're really missing out. Though...

Face it, since Naruto is over, Bleach has inherited the throne of the HST, and will rule for another thousand years...

What. erm

-"You have the best problems, Scenario. You really do. haermm"

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 05:13 PM
XanatosForever is currently offline Click here to Send XanatosForever a Private Message Find more posts by XanatosForever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Big manga don't necessarily come in threes, it's just that's what happened at the time.

One Piece is probably going to run for another decade pretty easily.

Seven Deadly Sins and Magi are likely to continue to pick up steam. Finger's crossed on UQ. Fairy Tail's going to continue to sell well.

Attack on Titan is huge, but pretty much another genre.

quote:
I'm not sure how Naruto passes on a throne it never had. One Piece was kinda always the big one of the big 3 and will remain the best selling manga of all time for quite a bit I'd imagine. Though it did suffer overseas sadly.

Naruto was still an *extremely* well-selling manga, like, 'third best of all time,' big.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 06:07 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

AoT is more in the Death Note/Devilman subsection of of Shonen.

And yeah Naruto is hugely successful and my personal favorite of the Big 3 but if there is a manga sitting on a hypothetical throne it would be Wan Pissu.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2015 10:59 PM
Q99

Basically it's 2 and 3 being fought over.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 12:47 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Well then you're doing it wrong, because three out of the four series you listed are garbage, and I haven't even heard of "Battle angel Alita".

roll eyes (sarcastic) Wow, your tastes are pretty damn shallow. Those mangas all have a sense of adventure, no emo kids as the main protagonists, plots that are more than just "Ichigo saves his friends", and have art that actually has detail in it instead of just constant contrasts. Bleach is just the fast food variety of manga.

How is Bleach ruling? One Piece is still kicking it and Nanatsu no Taizai has been making record sales while Bleach has been dropping in popularity lately.

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka

That seems fair, right now I'm just getting started with NnT(sorry Toriko) but I do plan on picking Ippo back up.

I'm caught up of Magi. Good stuff.

I like both mangas but I do like NnT more myself. I've been a big fan of Nakaba Suzuki since Kongou Banchou.

Magi is indeed good. I'm also reading Shinobu Ohtaka's previous work, Sumomomo Momomo. It's a good series as well but Ohtaka's really improved as a mangaka since then.

Last edited by Markness on Apr 22nd, 2015 at 03:02 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 02:54 PM