KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Emo crap

Emo crap
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Emo crap

Every time I try and get into anything Macross, the love triangles and J-pop elements turn me right off.

And it seems like this is a pretty popular trope in anime/manga. I realize they're basically aimed at kids, but even as a kid I was never into drama, triangles, shipping, and all the crap fan fiction writers deviant-art types seem to thrive on.

It's the reason Netflix superhero show's appeal to me, like Daredevil, vs WB show's like Arrow (Which I still enjoy, but not for Felicity/Ollie drama..)

Anyone else feel the same way? Or am I in a minority, and do people actually like the soap writing?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 01:50 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I think people like it because of the soap opera thing. That's mainly the reason why so many people watch Arrow. Even non-comic book fans. The drama.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 03:26 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Emo crap

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Every time I try and get into anything Macross, the love triangles and J-pop elements turn me right off.

And it seems like this is a pretty popular trope in anime/manga. I realize they're basically aimed at kids, but even as a kid I was never into drama, triangles, shipping, and all the crap fan fiction writers deviant-art types seem to thrive on.

It's the reason Netflix superhero show's appeal to me, like Daredevil, vs WB show's like Arrow (Which I still enjoy, but not for Felicity/Ollie drama..)

Anyone else feel the same way? Or am I in a minority, and do people actually like the soap writing?
I agree with you almost on every point, except your title is a little misleading.

Soap Opera doesn't really translate to Emo Crap.

I dunno, in some cases I like it, like if a murder is about to be found out, or there's this big hardcore mystery. But finding out whether or not two people are gonna get together is not the focal point of any show for me.

I watch EastEnders, but only with the hope that someone will get punched at some point.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 12:51 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Macross is no more aimed at kids than, say, Gundam is. It's just Macross is aiming for a *broader* audience, it was picking up viewers of both genders by having both action and relationship stuff in the same package.

And yea, it's soap opera stuff, and yea, I like it ^^

One of my favorite mecha shows is Escaflowne, which is a really badass fantasy-mecha-soap-opera.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 01:24 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

See, I actually like Escaflowne. And I recognize it's very heavily romance oriented..

But I dunno, it doesn't turn me off like Macross romance does. I guess because it seems more... genuine? As in, not obvious pandering to their audience..?

Back to comic show comparisons, Jessica Jone's relationship with Cage is definate romance stuff, but doesn't have the soap opera-ish elements of Smallville/Arrow/most WB shows.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 03:35 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

IMO, drama's fine. As long as it's not over-used/stretched out/stealing the focus. Arrow has more going for it than the Felicity/Oliver crap, although the 3rd season was really annoying because that got way too much focus.

And no, you're not in a minority, but it depends on where you ask.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 03:54 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

See, I actually like Escaflowne. And I recognize it's very heavily romance oriented..

But I dunno, it doesn't turn me off like Macross romance does. I guess because it seems more... genuine? As in, not obvious pandering to their audience..?

Hm, so it's something in the approach that does it for you...

Old Post Dec 13th, 2015 08:30 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote