KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Philosophy: People born good or evil?

People born good or evil?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Good (Lock's idea) 22 37.93%
Evil (Hobbes idea) 16 27.59%
im not sure. 20 34.48%
Total: 58 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Philosophy: People born good or evil?
Started by: hh?

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Philosophy: People born good or evil?

John Locke said people were born good. Thomas Hobbes was against that idea and said that people were born evil. They were not always disagreeing. They both agree on the idea of a Social Contract. ill add more info later...maybe. smile

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 02:58 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

i say evil, because if their was no obedience, people would be wild animals.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 02:59 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightningrod
gay o' time

There is good and evil.

I have to say neither because someone has to have the sense of being evil or good.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 03:04 AM
Lightningrod is currently offline Click here to Send Lightningrod a Private Message Find more posts by Lightningrod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

well people change throughout their lives. im talking about when they are born.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 03:05 AM
GambitsRogue
Gambits sexy girl

some people are just born evil and good thats just how it is

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 03:08 AM
GambitsRogue is currently offline Click here to Send GambitsRogue a Private Message Find more posts by GambitsRogue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eat My Ass

Well first you have to define "good" and "evil"

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17495261

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 03:15 AM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maximus_E.
Insane An' Enjoyin' It

Someone is born pure, the factors around them help to decide if a person can be considered evil or good. Such as environment, family, friends and morals. Then the initial decision is finally made by the individual themselves

That's my theory at least

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 04:51 AM
Maximus_E. is currently offline Click here to Send Maximus_E. a Private Message Find more posts by Maximus_E. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NTonks
Crash's Wife

I agree with Hobbes; people are born evil.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 04:52 AM
NTonks is currently offline Click here to Send NTonks a Private Message Find more posts by NTonks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LindsIsSexyK
ALL GROWN UP NOW =)

quote:
Originally posted by DemonicGambit
Someone is born pure, the factors around them help to decide if a person can be considered evil or good. Such as environment, family, friends and morals. Then the initial decision is finally made by the individual themselves

That's my theory at least

I second the above statement.

I was gonna type out the exact same thing almost word for word but I decided it was easier to just quote someone.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:00 AM
LindsIsSexyK is currently offline Click here to Send LindsIsSexyK a Private Message Find more posts by LindsIsSexyK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

evil as in not doing good.
good as in not doing evil.
lol

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:03 AM
LindsIsSexyK
ALL GROWN UP NOW =)

Ummmm...............yeah, and???? confused

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:07 AM
LindsIsSexyK is currently offline Click here to Send LindsIsSexyK a Private Message Find more posts by LindsIsSexyK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

113 asked "Well first you have to define "good" and "evil"" and i did. lol

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:11 AM
LindsIsSexyK
ALL GROWN UP NOW =)

laughing out loud

I thought you were referring to me and I was like ummmmm I already know that.............

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:21 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

lol that would be strange

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:22 AM
Eat My Ass

quote:
Originally posted by h0ck3yh0rr0r
evil as in not doing good.
good as in not doing evil.
lol

Well what is "good" and what is "evil"?

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17495261

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:35 AM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maximus_E.
Insane An' Enjoyin' It

Good is what is done for the benefit of the whole or another single person. And bad is what is the exact oppposite of that

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:41 AM
Maximus_E. is currently offline Click here to Send Maximus_E. a Private Message Find more posts by Maximus_E. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Kids are born evil...they can be horrible, selfish, jealous etc. Its not their fault, they just don't know any better.

Grown ups can still feel these things, they know its wrong. But alas grown ups lose the innocence that kids have and become cynical and lose faith in mankind.

Man, its a bit early for this kinda thing... wink

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 10:33 AM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nemo
ocean and sea

i don't think we can really say what a person is born with.
babies are born with a whole set of instincts that is designed to get them through the early yrs, like crying for what you want, and being jealous and selfish and spoiled is actually a way for them to get the attention and whatever things that will increase their chance of survival. and being an only child or being born into a crowd of siblings could really influence your bahaviour from childhood onward. i saw a documentary that studies these beahviour.
and now there is studies that might prove that there are genes for violence or anger or criminal behaviour, so it's like we could be evil because we have inherit these genes.
but whatever we are born with, i think nurture plays a more important role in our development. nature could only do so much, but the enviroment that you are born into, and the things that you experienced, will really mold you into who you will become.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 02:34 PM
nemo is currently offline Click here to Send nemo a Private Message Find more posts by nemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
must_kill_Santa
Evil Princess

i think people arent born either good or evil and your life expereances decide how you are

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 02:36 PM
must_kill_Santa is currently offline Click here to Send must_kill_Santa a Private Message Find more posts by must_kill_Santa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

as far as I know, there has never been conclusive evidence that shows ppl are born good or evil, so i say neither

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 03:42 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote