KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If the ignorenece is bliss why do we seek knowledge?

If the ignorenece is bliss why do we seek knowledge?
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Warning If the ignorenece is bliss why do we seek knowledge?

If ignorenece makes us happier, why do we insist on seeking more knowledge....

ok, so any thoughts... confused

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:25 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

I don't understand

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:34 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

well...........it is...........a............movie............and..............a lot of...........movies...........say things...........that arnt...........true. Its like saying if Neo can fly, y cant we?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:36 PM
GangusGrievous is currently offline Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eat My Ass

That's a simple question to answer: Because humans are naturally curious. As are many animals. And the phrase "ignorance is bliss" is a matter of opinion.

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17495261

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:36 PM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

ok..matter of oppinion....

but not knowing many things would make you happier...like, learning something new, that you cannot necesseraly change, will make you miserable, because you cannot change it, and you know its happening

thats just an example....

p.s. its a well known rethorical question, it doesnt have a simple answer to it....

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Nov 2nd, 2003 at 03:42 PM

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:40 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I will put it even more simply.

Because humans aren't exclusively concerned with happiness.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:46 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I am...i want to be happy..blink that would be my goal in life...to be happy....blink

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:48 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And that is all you ever do ever? Only ever things for yourself to make you happy? I doubt that.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:49 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eat My Ass

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
ok..matter of oppinion....

but not knowing many things would make you happier...like, learning something new, that you cannot necesseraly change, will make you miserable, because you cannot change it, and you know its happening

thats just an example....

p.s. its a well known rethorical question, it doesnt have a simple answer to it....

not true, some people who can't change things in their life don't become misareable...actually many many people are like this. Learning to accept things you can't change is one of the key elements to reaching "optimal wellness."

And i'd feel very sorry for the person who was too ignorant to know things about the world but was perfectly happy.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:50 PM
113 is currently offline Click here to Send 113 a Private Message Find more posts by 113 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
And that is all you ever do ever? Only ever things for yourself to make you happy? I doubt that.

what?! blink

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:52 PM
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by 113
not true, some people who can't change things in their life don't become misareable...actually many many people are like this. Learning to accept things you can't change is one of the key elements to reaching "optimal wellness."

And i'd feel very sorry for the person who was too ignorant to know things about the world but was perfectly happy.

no, you cant be really ignorant to the world...not today...unless you live in a cave...

Ignorence is the cause of the all suffering in the world just as much as knowledge is, and we are all ignorent, just on different things...

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:55 PM
Naz
Super Senior Member

maybe becausehumans typicaly strive to know everything

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:57 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

yeah...maybe...thats it possibly.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 03:58 PM
Eat My Ass

quote:
no, you cant be really ignorant to the world...not today...unless you live in a cave...

Ignorence is the cause of the all suffering in the world just as much as knowledge is, and we are all ignorent, just on different things...

ok well if general ignorance is not not knowing things about the world than how do you define it?

and if you're talking about being ignorant on certain things than in some cases not knowing certain aspects of life helps people to be happier, and for other people-well they wanna know everything, and that's what makes them happy.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 04:02 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
what?! blink

I was just pointing out. Not EVERYTHING you do is a selfish attempt to keep yourself happy. That is because, as I said, humans are not exclusively concerned with their own happiness!

Humans value knowing stuff, whether it makes them unhappy or not! You may even think that irrational, but that is how it is!

BtVS

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 04:03 PM
Eat My Ass

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I was just pointing out. Not EVERYTHING you do is a selfish attempt to keep yourself happy. That is because, as I said, humans are not exclusively concerned with their own happiness!

Humans value knowing stuff, whether it makes them unhappy or not! You may even think that irrational, but that is how it is!

i agree

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 04:18 PM
cermiestar
kitten

I studied Frankenstein by Mary Shelley in english class at school....and this doesn't answer the question but there was this quote from john Keats that went something like "if we constantly search for answers we will never be truly happy"....basically for anyone who doesn't know) the romantics believed in the beauty of nature and basically just being around it and stuff and they believed that trying to understand nature wouldn't make you happy, if you wanted to be happy you should just "revel in it;s presence"

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2003 09:22 PM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by cermiestar
I studied Frankenstein by Mary Shelley in english class at school....and this doesn't answer the question but there was this quote from john Keats that went something like "if we constantly search for answers we will never be truly happy"....basically for anyone who doesn't know) the romantics believed in the beauty of nature and basically just being around it and stuff and they believed that trying to understand nature wouldn't make you happy, if you wanted to be happy you should just "revel in it;s presence"

WooHoo!! YOu found me out..i studied Frankenstain.....ages ago anyway, and i got back to it few days ago...i loved the book, and yeah, it was from there that we have been asked the question...wow, well spotted, im impressed!! big grinbig grinbig grin It was in fact my teacher who asked that question to us all....it was so interesting!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2003 12:56 PM
lil bitchiness
-

113< I really dont think we understand each other or you are not answering my question...it is a FACT that we are all ignorant on certain things, i was just pointing that out, and if think you are not ignorant on anything, i can promice you that you would be called the most ignorant person in the world! This was beside my point! My 'question' is if ignorenice is bliss why do we seek knowledge...it is true and untrue in many ways, and thats why it is impossible to answer...

I'll give you an example of this...a simple one...

lets say....women in Soudi Arabia! They walk arround with vails over their faces, and are restricted to many stuff women in the west, probably aren't. They DO NOT know any better than that and they are perfectly happy believe it or not! They are ignorant to many things women in the west arent but they are happy!! That was just an example..
People that are living in tribes (and there are still tribes like that, near rainforests as well as Africa) do not know electricity, do not know TV, do not know anything apart from their own tribe and their own rules and they are happy...they know nothing of the corruption of the world...they are primitive and possibly happiest.....

Ush> I wasnt talking about doing everyhting to make myself happy....i wasnt even mentionig making myself happy as an idividual, i just wanted to kow what were your ideas about why do you think peole seek knowledge, when ignorance can make them happy...and i made refrences to that in 113's answer....

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2003 01:10 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Ush> I wasnt talking about doing everyhting to make myself happy....i wasnt even mentionig making myself happy as an idividual, i just wanted to kow what were your ideas about why do you think peole seek knowledge, when ignorance can make them happy...and i made refrences to that in 113's answer....

Yes you were

"I am...i want to be happy.. that would be my goal in life...to be happy"

Yes?

I was just pointing out that is NOT a human's only goal. So please read what I said. My answer was that humans value things OTHER than being happy- like knowledge. I answered you.

You are simply assuming that all humans want to do is be happy. If you drop that point of view, you will see that a search for knowledge makes sense.

Now... gimme a hug... (smiles)

BtVS

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2003 03:17 PM