KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What Is The Meaning Of Life?

What Is The Meaning Of Life?
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (52): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

What Is The Meaning Of Life?

This, in a sense, summarizes all other questions asked. It is usually understood as: "What are the highest values, the Supreme Goals which I should try to achieve?". We stress that every human being must freely set those goals for himself or herself. The Supreme Goal which we choose derives logically from our cybernetic world view: to make a constructive contribution to the evolution of humanity, in order to maximize our long-term chances of survival (immortality). In essence, the 'meaning of life' is to increase evolutionary fitness. Do you agree?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 01:07 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

We live to die, so that others may live and die and others after them do the same.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:07 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

The Circle Of Life Lils?

Yeah, I agree with that. It fits in with evolution. But surely it's a little morbid to say the only reason we are here is to die? What about Procreation? Reproduction? And do you believe in reincarnation?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:09 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

no.
if you simply the matter to the extremes, just look at what DNA is. it is a progra meant only to preserve itself. perhaps that is the true, however simple, meaning of life. evolution is only due to it's adaptive capability.

Maybe when i'm older and more experience...this big lightbulb will turn on in my head, lightening the meaning of life for me. But until then..perhaps..there is not meaning of life.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:11 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I believe in reincarnation indeed. But not everyone does, and i cant prove if its true or not, so im looking at the meaning of life from a rational point of view.

We live and we die so that others may live. Its just the way it is. Evolution hasnt got a goal or a purpose, it just happens and we are a product of it. (simplisticly speaking)

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:15 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

The meaning of life is to have a good time.

Because what's the point of living....if it isn't fun?

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:15 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Dexx
no.
if you simply the matter to the extremes, just look at what DNA is. it is a progra meant only to preserve itself.

OK, first of all I didn't ask for a simplification of anything, I just wanted to know your theory on the meaning of life. If you don't have one, that's perfectly acceptable, many people prefer not to dwell on such topics. I, on the other hand, enjoy thinking about this sort of thing. Would you mind explaining in more detail about the DNA idea? I'm not quite following......

quote:
perhaps that is the true, however simple, meaning of life. evolution is only due to it's adaptive capability.

Evolution is not due to it's adaptive capability, how can that be correct? The adaptive capabilities are a part of evolution, the ever changing world. The reason we adapt to our surroundings is because we are continually evolving with the world around us, with our habitat, and the way we live. Not the other way around.

quote:
Maybe when i'm older and more experience...this big lightbulb will turn on in my head, lightening the meaning of life for me. But until then..perhaps..there is not meaning of life.

So you are saying that just because you cannot comprehend a meaning of life, maybe because you are too young, then there cannot be one?? Or have I read your last comment wrong? Please correct me if I'm out of line big grin

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:19 PM
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
The meaning of life is to have a good time.

Because what's the point of living....if it isn't fun?

Simple yet quite poignant.

I've heard many people say that for them, the meaning of life is to live it. A lot of us spend so much time wondering what will happen when life is over, that we miss the part where we are actually here.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:21 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

I think that each person creates meaning that is specific to their own life. Someone may find meaning in helping to end poverty while another finds their meaning in the development of their mind. Both of these pursuits would be considered very noble but neither answer the underlying desire for ultimate meaning or purpose beyond this life. Whatever meaning a person created would be limited to the few short years of their life.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:23 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

I agree.

Each individual may find meaning, or satisfaction, in helping another.

Each does it in a different way, therefore finding their own specific meaning therein.

But does every person have this underlying desire for ultimate answers? I'm not so sure.....

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:26 PM
lil bitchiness
-

I think Syren ment collectivly, what is the meaning of life as humans what is the meaning of our existance...as far as i understand.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:27 PM
Clovie

life is life.
you live - you die.

nothing to wonder about.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:28 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life?

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
In essence, the 'meaning of life' is to increase evolutionary fitness. Do you agree?

No. If it was, the logical thing to do would be to go around sterilizing unfit people before they can breed. Fun, yes, but I wouldn't expect that to be the purpose of life.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:29 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
OK, first of all I didn't ask for a simplification of anything, I just wanted to know your theory on the meaning of life. If you don't have one, that's perfectly acceptable, many people prefer not to dwell on such topics. I, on the other hand, enjoy thinking about this sort of thing. Would you mind explaining in more detail about the DNA idea? I'm not quite following......

that was my theory on the meaning of life. The basis of it..is..survival. DNA, your code, the way you work, the way you exist..rules that you have to survive. that was the simplified idea.

quote:

Evolution is not due to it's adaptive capability, how can that be correct? The adaptive capabilities are a part of evolution, the ever changing world. The reason we adapt to our surroundings is because we are continually evolving with the world around us, with our habitat, and the way we live. Not the other way around.

well..here..i strongly disagree. It is BECAUSE we can adapt, that we evolve. that's what evolving is..adaptation. in fact...if we look at it, we can look at the two words as synonims and get over the disagreement.

quote:

So you are saying that just because you cannot comprehend a meaning of life, maybe because you are too young, then there cannot be one?? Or have I read your last comment wrong? Please correct me if I'm out of line big grin

there is not a meaning of life for ME. i don't think there's a general meaning of life valid for every single being. everyone percieves it in his own way. When i'll find one...i'll know. maybe i already did...but it's hard to express it in words.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:34 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

I didn't think of it that way, but now you mention it I'm in severe danger of sounding like a certain Mr Hitler! Apologies.......

(In reply to Gregory's)

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:34 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Sometimes it is hard for people to accept the fact that we are dying...we are dying right now. And we were doing so from the moment we were born.

And we are all gonna die at one point, it is inevitable. This life we are leading is not a destination, its a journey, i know thats a cliche but its very true...its what we do in that time to make our existance more comftable.
There is no great meaning,

''you are not a unique and beautiful snowflake, you are the same decaying organic matter just like everything else'' - Chuck Palahnuik

And thats true...we want to believe that there is great and awesome meaning to our life.... there is a meaning just not so great and awsome, we live so that human race will live, we live so that others may life and die and so on. That is our existance.

You personaly, can devote your life to something or another and claim that your purpose in life is helping others for example...that may be inner self meaning of you, but the bottom line is, your life's meaning is just like everyone else's.

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Jun 1st, 2004 at 02:41 PM

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:36 PM
Dexx
wingless

np....no offense taken...we're debating here smile

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:36 PM
Syren
dreaming

Excellent, Lils, that was very detailed.....

I agree with the fact that people worry to much, continually thinking that there must be some higher meaning to life, but I don't think it's as simple as living to die.

I truly believe that we are here for procreation, to carry on the blood line, of course it's inevitable that we're going to die, but it's also inevitable that we will live first. People seem to miss that point....

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:43 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

What do we mean by meaning? Are we talking about purpose or significance, about causes for why we are here, about importance or something else? And what do we mean by life?
Is the question in some way a religious or spiritual question? Do we have to drag God into it? Are we to take the question as a personal or as a cosmic question? That is, is it the meaning of my life, our lives or is it the meaning of human life or the meaning of existence in general?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:44 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by Storm
What do we mean by meaning? Are we talking about purpose or significance, about causes for why we are here, about importance or something else? And what do we mean by life?
Is the question in some way a religious or spiritual question? Do we have to drag God into it? Are we to take the question as a personal or as a cosmic question? That is, is it the meaning of my life, our lives or is it the meaning of human life or the meaning of existence in general?

Thats why this is a philosophical quesion Storm. There are no direct philosophical questions.

I dont think there is a need to drag God into this, as none of us have at all so far...if you believe it is sagnificant to drg him in, then do it your side of things.

You cant simplify a philosophical questions into one direct one. Meaning of life, thats why its a question, and everyone is exploring the answer and its possibilitis.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 02:48 PM