KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Moral Relativism VS. Absoulte

Moral Relativism VS. Absoulte
Started by: ash007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ash007
Strength and Honour

Smile Moral Relativism VS. Absoulte

What do you believe about morals? Are they only something society came up with or a they an intrensic set of laws outside of the human mind

relative baby

smile

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 01:08 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

ok Since noone is answering i will post what i think

Ok then Moral relativism all the way. Societies do not all have the same ethical framework, and it is in my view pure arrogance for one culture to say that their morals are 'better' than those of another, or even worse, to attempt to force those morals on a less powerful neighbour.

Having said that, however, I think it is good that organisation such as Amnesty or even the UN work towards improving human rights issues in countries ruled by oppressive regimes. In judging the morality of other cultures I think we must be careful not to confuse the ethical framework of a given society, and the actions of the regimes that happen to govern that soicety at this moment in time.

Ok i am gonna get some lunch hopefully this thread will be full of ideas
smile

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 01:11 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

I’m not to keen on the idea of Moral and Cultural Relativism. To me it seems like an attempt of tossing away responsibility, when you say that one set of morals are as good as another. That one kind of culture is as good as the next.
Morals and ethics have changed over the centuries – sure. Once it was perfectly acceptable to have slaves, to sacrifices humans, to consider women the property of men.

The question arises, if it’s possible to have any kinds of absolutes. I believe it is. It’s the age-old “do to others what you want done to yourself.”

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 01:16 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

well I kinda agree with Omega here.

Also as Ash said Forcing the moral rules of one culture on to another is a bad thing to do, tho it has been done in the past

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 01:34 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Fire> Forcing a set of morals on other people will probably never really work. But… Take some countries, where they still view women as property, use the death-penalty, censor certain books, forbid certain political viewpoints, etc.
I’ll be damned if I wouldn’t try to change the point of view of these people. What matters is HOW I try to change them. Not that I do try.

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 01:42 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am a firm believer in absolute.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 01:47 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

ill think about this...ill post later

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 03:19 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega
Fire> Forcing a set of morals on other people will probably never really work. But… Take some countries, where they still view women as property, use the death-penalty, censor certain books, forbid certain political viewpoints, etc.
I’ll be damned if I wouldn’t try to change the point of view of these people. What matters is HOW I try to change them. Not that I do try.

The thing is... It's not the people themselves who believe in that stuff. It's the government forcing the laws upon them.

I made a thread a while back about perspective. I think nearly everything depends on perspective. Something that is evil to one person might be good to another. I do also believe in the absolute, though I think there is quite a bit that depends on perspective. Take the American Indians as an example. When the US government started pushing the Indians away from the land they wanted to settle, that obviously didn't go down well with the Indians. They had been here for 10 thousand years, and they weren't too keen on just picking up and moving. First they were supposed to move west of the Appalachians. This they did. Then it was west of the Mississippi, then it was onto small reservations of the worst land in the west. They fought back, in many cases. This resulted in 30 years of Indian Wars. To the people who were beginning to occupy the land in the west, the Indians were brutal, bloodthirsty, savage people who wanted only to disrupt their way of life. To the Indians, the whites were criminals who wanted only to destroy their homelands. We look back on that period of time, and we realize how cruel of the government that was. But if you had asked one of the farmers, ranchers, or miners who had just come west what they thought about all this, they would have told you exactly the opposite. So there is an absolute side, but it only applies to the individual if you agree with it.
I hope that made sense.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2004 03:41 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Barf> I do believe "the people themselves" or some of them, believe in "that stuff." Others - of course - just pretend.
But if you were brought up in, say, South Africa during Apartheid and you were white - what are the chances you'd have supported apartheid???
If you don't know any better?

And persepcetive is all fine and dandy. But especially with a case such as the American Indians, what was done to them was clearly plainly WRONG. I think I understand what you mean though. We need a dialectic approach. HOW were thing in the 18th century in America? How did European settlers view the Indians?
That still doesn't mean there is no absolute RIGHT and WRONG. A subjective persepctive may be influenced by propaganda, lies and so on.

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Mar 1st, 2004 12:44 PM
Fire

maybe omega, but it depends

there is a difference IMO between ethics and ethics, if everyone in that society agrees with the ethics and is happy with them there is no need to change them

but if in that system ppl aren't happy with their situation then intervention could be allowed

Old Post Mar 1st, 2004 01:01 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, I think the Indian situation is easily answered- one side that said the other was in error was simply wrong.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 1st, 2004 01:22 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Fire> Ah, I disagree. Is the majority always right??

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2004 01:02 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm not going to address the comments about the Europeans and the Native Americans in the 18th Century. I have strong opinions on that matter (I won't bring them here). Let us just stick to the subject at hand.

Relativism is true? then how do we explain "experience"? "Experience" which is the foundation of knowledge can be absolute. Relativism is only theory that the truth is different for each individual. If that is so, then how do you explain a something like this: "Water boiling is hot"? Is not relativism that tells us the water is hot! Is "experience" that tells us that when water is boiling is hot.

Absolute can only be certain when knowledge has reach it's potential! Which is to find the truth on things. A circle is round! That is absolute! All circles have different sizes! That is also absolute. How do we know this? Once again "experience" tells us.

So for me the debate comes down to Relativism vs. Experience. The Absolute is the result of experience.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Mar 2nd, 2004 at 03:22 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2004 03:20 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I said everyone not the majority

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2004 03:22 PM
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

there are some thing that are absolute and some things that are not

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Jun 29th, 2004 03:42 PM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Morals do not exist - but loves and loaths do. In essence, it is selfishness in the sense that everyone want what they want, even if their wills are altruistic it still remains the one thing they want, or what makes them happy - what we love we are for, and what we hate we are against.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 11:52 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
and what we hate we are against
hate to pay taxes but aint agaisnt them cause they are needed

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 11:54 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then you don't really hate to pay taxes - you can only hate something when you hate it 100%, and when you are totally against it.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 12:05 PM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

It is sad that no one follows morals anymore.I try too.But at times it is hard.People should keep good morals instead of going around breaking them.JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 12:10 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
It is sad that no one follows morals anymore.I try too.But at times it is hard.People should keep good morals instead of going around breaking them.JM

its not a case of having morals imo...

most people have what they believe are morals...

people have different ideas of morality...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 12:14 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote