KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » does the past exist???

does the past exist???
Started by: eleveninches

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eleveninches
God of my own world

does the past exist???

Does the past exist, or is it just an illusion.

The only way it could exist is if there is an infinite multiverse somewhere, where everything in the past goes to after it stops being the present and becomes the past.

But the past does not exist in the universe, as it is just an illusion of the human mind and imagination.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 11:28 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Everything in the past existed.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 07:00 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

bleah...your mind is clouded by too many movies.
the past exists AS A MEMORY. as electrical signals in yor brain, if you may call it. the past is not, however, a tangible object. not all that exists, you can grab in your hand.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 07:59 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

THe past existED, but how can you really prove that.??
The human memory is NOT perfect. THe past doesnt exist at the moment, it is an imaginary concept created by the mind of humans.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 10:31 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

quote:
Originally posted by Dexx
bleah...your mind is clouded by too many movies.
the past exists AS A MEMORY. as electrical signals in yor brain, if you may call it. the past is not, however, a tangible object. not all that exists, you can grab in your hand.
[Matrix mode]But what is real? Something you can sense?[/Matrix mode]

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 10:35 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

'the past' existed in the mind only... all the objects that were in the past exist now still unless they were destroyed or whatever, so the past doesnt exist, since it never was a tangible object

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 10:37 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

the individual memory can be mistaken. The collective memory of society is less likey to be mistaken, so that means that if society on the whole cannot remember something (and if the entire population of the planet cannot remember an event), then it didnt exist.

So do you exist?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 10:43 PM
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

The past has to exist really..or nothing would've happened..Nothing would be here....

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 11:05 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Hmmm, I existed in the past, and back then now was the future... I remember the past, my past, thus I believe it, after all, I am here now, so I had to come from somewhere.

Similarly, I am a history student, in a way my field of study and eventual expertise is the past, and I believe it exists, as there is evidence of it, artifact's records, memories... a clay Athenian pot from 200 BC, exists, it can be charted to being a certain age, thus it was forged, at some point in the past...

But I think that to much weight is put into physical presence, that time is some how something materiel, like fire, or water, an element, it is simply a measure, the "past" is not something physical, it was merely the time before, just as their is no "physical" future playing itself out before we arrive, it happens as it happens, then its just memory, or artifact.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 02:23 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by frodo34x
[Matrix mode]But what is real? Something you can sense?[/Matrix mode]

as i said...too many movies.
but...yes, basicly.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 07:00 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
THe past existED, but how can you really prove that.??
The human memory is NOT perfect. THe past doesnt exist at the moment, it is an imaginary concept created by the mind of humans.

umm..no..you're just being ridiculously childish.
first of all 'the past' exists as a word in a dictionary. secondly..the notion of a 'past' action is by it's definition not a tangible object. it may only be recalled via our memory systems.
if you want proof..well...i guess you can't have any. but continue to doubt everything...
hey..perhaps your entire brain was whiped last night and someone injected you with brand new memories...everything you remember didn't actually happen.
keep it up!

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 07:04 AM
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

this thread is gay ... its only gay cause I have a cold at the moment

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 07:07 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

No, that's why its the past......

It existed when it was the present.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 10:10 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Basically you're are the product of the past. Your experiences and your personality has been shape by events that happen in the past. To say the past didn't exist is just denying yourself who you are.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 04:01 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

St. Augustine wondered what it is that makes the past and the future real. How can the past and the future exist, when the past is already gone and the future is yet to come? For men, both the past and the future are abstractions, constituted by the human mind. For human beings, they only exist in virtue of the present. In men' s experience, the present is all that exists. We will always exist in the present.
If you would travel back to the past, it would no longer be the past but the present.

It' s hard to imagine a dimension where the past and the future, as well as the present all exist equally, in spite of Einstein' s relativity theory.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 04:14 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

I was saying the past doesn't exist now and, of course, it doesn't which is why we refer to previous events in the past tense. The past is not like a physical thing we can go back to unless time travel becomes real.....

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 06:36 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

quote:
the individual memory can be mistaken. The collective memory of society is less likey to be mistaken, so that means that if society on the whole cannot remember something (and if the entire population of the planet cannot remember an event), then it didnt exist.
You mean like in the 4th Hitchikers Guide? (the one with dolphins and rampant sex on a plane wing).

Just because the majority of the planet does not know you exist, does not mean you don't exsist.

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 08:43 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

The mathematical display – the Minkowski space http://www.quantonics.com/Einstein_...me_Diagram.html

The past exists on such things as photographs and movies. The past also exists as information travelling with the speed of light.

The stars we see at night are not as they are RIGHT now. The light has travelled for years and years, so when we look out into space we look into the past. The further out we look the deeper into the past we see…
So – the past exists.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 11:50 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dwarfdude
Official KMC F*ck Monkey

"What is today but the tommorow of yesterday?"

According to science, if the molecules in one's body move quickly enough, one may pass through a seemingly completely solid object, true? Then is that object still solid?

The human brain is not perfect. You see/feel/smell/ect, what you want to see/smell/feel/ect. Therefore, all is an illusion, created by your subconcious. Even the past, the present, and the future.

Scary concept, eh?

"Balance is best in all things." -The Odyssey

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 12:27 AM
Dwarfdude is currently offline Click here to Send Dwarfdude a Private Message Find more posts by Dwarfdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:

So do you exist?

Been reading 1984, have we?

The past doesn't exist in the here and now, but there are ways to prove it happened outside the human memory. There are many, many written records that talk about events in the past. Granted, not all of them are entirely accurate, and there is no physical record of every fraction of a second that happened in the past--but enough time has been recorded to create a believable timeline of our own existence, as individuals and a society. It's called history. yes

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 03:40 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote