KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » is this plausable, or is it just wrong?

is this plausable, or is it just wrong?
Started by: eleveninches

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eleveninches
God of my own world

is this plausable, or is it just wrong?

Ignoring arithmatic and mathmatics for the moment, consider an absence of something. Conceptually, the opposite of it should be an infinite amount of that something. Therefore, zero is the conceptual opposite of infinity.

Therefore:

- infinity = (0)

Therefore, when something goes towards zero, it is the same as approaching negative infinity.

Its probalby totally wrong, but i was tired and just thiught i might post this here for discussion

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 10:53 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

first of all...you mention the term "conceptual opposite" and then you plase an equality sign (=) between infinity and 0.

how is "opposite" a sinonim with "=" ?
now ...when you place the '-' to infinity, you screw it all up propperly.
you CAN say that you have no "something". you CAN say that you have an infinit amount of "something". but you CAN'T say you have a -infinit amoutn of "something".
so....simplified to the extremes. you can consider 0 the conceptual opposite to infinity in quantity terms. but -infinity is the opposite to infinity on a mathematical axis. on both sides of 0, to be exact wink

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 07:13 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

if something ha a value of minus infinity, then there is none of it at all. therefore it is the same as having zero amount of it

Old Post Dec 27th, 2004 02:36 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

no..it is not. because minus infinity does not express quantity.
something may have a minus infinity value.....but that something is NOT an amount of something

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 09:50 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

a minus infinity amount of a quantity such as mass, indicates absolutely no mass, which is the same as zero mass

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 02:00 PM
Dexx
wingless

there is no -infinity amount of anything!! you can't have less than 0 objects....what are you thick? erm

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 07:58 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

so then having minus infinite of something is the same as having none of something.
therefore, minus infinity equals zero.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 12:15 PM
Dexx
wingless

yes, indeed...you ARE thick!
err..you're right, and your logic is flawless

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 05:48 PM
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

I'm not going to get into the mathmatical and theoretical areas of this argument.........because both are based on conjecture. But I must agree with Dexx.

Practically and physically........there is no such thing as infinite...much less -infinite. Infinity is an idea......a way of expressing x+1+1+1+1 in a never ending cycle........it's just an expression.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 07:51 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

-infinity is not equal to nothing... just as -1 is not equal to nothing.... all negative numbers are "unreal" and refer to having less than nothing... the easiest way to explain this is the idea of debt... if you have no dollars, and owe me ten dollars, then you have minus ten dollars... you can't hold them in your hand, but the concept is there... however, you are correct about abscence and opposition being different things... for instance, darkness is the absence of light, not its opposite... the opposite of light would be a negative-photon or anti-photon, a particle that travelled in exactly the opposite way to light... possibly bacwards in time as we would comprehend it... for such a particle decelleration below the speed of light would be impossible, and at present we would be unable to detect it...

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 11:35 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

oh man, how can u talk about this without MATHS!?!?!?

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 11:59 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

Zero and Infinity are mere concepts created by man there is no "Nothing" Or "Forever".

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 12:21 AM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Re: is this plausable, or is it just wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
Ignoring arithmatic and mathmatics for the moment, consider an absence of something. Conceptually, the opposite of it should be an infinite amount of that something. Therefore, zero is the conceptual opposite of infinity.

Therefore:

- infinity = (0)

Therefore, when something goes towards zero, it is the same as approaching negative infinity.

Its probalby totally wrong, but i was tired and just thiught i might post this here for discussion

What's the opposite of not having five dollars? I would say it is not having an infinite number of dollars; the opposite of not having five dollars is having five dollars. The opposite of not having a car is having a car. I'm not sure why you think infinity enters into this.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 12:25 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

The opposite of one is negative one. The opposite of infinity is negative infinity, not 0... Why would it be 0?

Oh--and I don't think the conceptual opposite of an absence of something is infinity. It is having something, however much of it you may have.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 02:57 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Infinity needs an extreme to be supported with either positive or negative; as infinty does not have a maximum point of span therfore it may not have a negative point. both need eachother to co-exist.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 03:14 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miahera
Platinum Card Member

I'm not going to play with numbers but as so often is described in sci-fi's, the end will eventually lead back to a beginning.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 10:20 AM
miahera is currently offline Click here to Send miahera a Private Message Find more posts by miahera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

there is no such thing as infinity in reality, it is just an imaginary concept created by humans, so i dont see why it cant be defined as the opposite of zero

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 09:06 PM
Darth Revan
-

At least partially because zero isn't an imagined concept, it's a real number that can be represented by the absence of everything. The opposite of one is negative one... The opposite of x is -x... The opposite of infinity is negative infinity. Zero (the number zero, not so much the concept of nothing) has no opposite.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 06:13 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

Re: is this plausable, or is it just wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches

Therefore:

- infinity = (0)

Just to summarise our progress, 0-infinity=-infinity. -Infinity is impossible. Infinity is impossible. Debt is an example of negativity, as are anti-particles, or dark matter.

A little fact I picked up today, if you had negative mass, when you hit it, it would accelerate in the opposite direction to your motion (towards your hand). Anti-matter has positive mass though. Here's a couple of sites that explain it.
http://www.jimloy.com/physics/negative.htm
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae257.cfm
http://www.daviddarling.info/encycl...ative_mass.html

Old Post Jan 8th, 2005 12:37 AM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote