KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?

What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?
Started by: Biscuit

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Biscuit
yummy!

What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?

is anything known for absolute certainty, beyond all doubt? can knowledge actually be proven?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 05:24 PM
Biscuit is currently offline Click here to Send Biscuit a Private Message Find more posts by Biscuit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

The short answer is no.
But we can get close

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 05:28 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

No it can't nothing is certain... Except for yourself... You can be certain of yourself to some extent, the rest is a big unknown. Nothing can be proven. All that we can do is create theory's some more likely then others.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 05:50 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spelljammer
Restricted

Account Restricted

Knowledge is knowing something.
Belief is not knowing something, but under a very good impression that's the way it is.

A Christian BELIEVES in God.
A Christian KNOWS he's Christian.

I BELEIVE fruit grows on other planets.
I KNOW an apple is red.

Get it?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 05:55 PM
Spelljammer is currently offline Click here to Send Spelljammer a Private Message Find more posts by Spelljammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Nothing can be proven absolutely because first we need to define proof, and then prove something based on that definition of proof which you adopted. But you can never prove that a definition of proof is right because to prove it you will need another definition of proof.

So knowledge is based on a definition of proof that we believe in without proving it.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 07:02 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

To me the answer is NO.....always there is somethings else...something extraordinary....something we can't explain...just as the findings we always see in physics sciences.....through theories...there is some examples of proof....though not to the conclusions that would be satisfactory to many.

Knowledge is facts..right?..Belief is somethings that can not be proved because we don't have all the facts yet...but still..belief is something an individual can experience.....yes it is....

Not talking about a diety....just the fact mame, just the facts....

Last edited by debbiejo on Sep 16th, 2005 at 08:44 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 08:40 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

I dont know an apples really red...but I do know an apples really red from my perspective of reality.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 05:23 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well apple can be different types of red and yellow and green too.. big grin

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 10:35 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

[QUOTE=5006818]Originally posted by Spelljammer

I KNOW an apple is red.

we all know there are red apples, but how do we know that we all see the same colour when we refer to the colour red? it could be that we all see different colours but we have been told that that particular colour is red. how can we describe the colour red, other than it is red? so there is know way of even prooving wot colour red is, red is just whatever colour we believe it to be

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 10:43 AM
Biscuit is currently offline Click here to Send Biscuit a Private Message Find more posts by Biscuit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spelljammer
Restricted

Account Restricted

Do you just like to chatter? Cause really that's all your doing.

Blahblahblah "we only perceive it red" duh, that's all we know. In our limited 4-dimensions, the apple is red, the apple is sweet, the apple is round and grows off a tree.

I don't care what an apple does in Bizzaro world, I don't care what an apple isn't to something else's perception, that is beyond my level of comprehension. I reside on 4 dimensions, therfore I'm going to worry about the laws that 4th dimension has made for me.

The apple is red. Deal with it.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 03:21 PM
Spelljammer is currently offline Click here to Send Spelljammer a Private Message Find more posts by Spelljammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Biscuit
[QUOTE=5006818]Originally posted by Spelljammer

I KNOW an apple is red.

we all know there are red apples, but how do we know that we all see the same colour when we refer to the colour red? it could be that we all see different colours but we have been told that that particular colour is red. how can we describe the colour red, other than it is red? so there is know way of even prooving wot colour red is, red is just whatever colour we believe it to be

I know that we all see the same thing because we have a genetic code this is almost identical. Now a dog will see color different than us, but we, in general, see color the same way. big grin

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 05:05 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

which goes back to the frequency idea.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 07:18 PM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: What is teh difference between knowledge and belief?

is anything known for absolute certainty, beyond all doubt? can knowledge actually be proven?
YES...NO...AND SCREW IT YOU RESIGN!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 09:43 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

well the point was that all of our 'knowledge' is based on belief, either our own or the belief of others. so wot makes us willing to accept certain beliefs as knowledge and not others?

Old Post Sep 20th, 2005 05:37 PM
Superfly4000

its the system holding us back from the truth... blink

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 01:38 AM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

If we believe our senses, then yes.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 01:44 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

well the point was that all of our 'knowledge' is based on belief, either our own or the belief of others. so wot makes us willing to accept certain beliefs as knowledge and not others?

Belief is the mental acceptance of the actuality, truth, or validity of something. There are two kinds of beliefs:

1. Faith, a belief that is not based on physical proof or material evidence.

2. Knowledge, a belief that can be directly observed, perceived, or leaned.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 08:06 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

so in other words, knowledge is "proved" by our senses??

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 04:30 PM
King of Blades
The King

Against much of the thought I say yes. Knowledge can be proven. Now have we performed such deeds? No, but we have come very close. However, in regards to the question of the thread, the answer is simple. Yes there is a difference, and very much like SJ's response it goes a little something like this:

"Belief is a hypothesis, and starting idea, based on evidence or lack of thereof at a moment or situation. (i.e. I believe that if there are clouds in the sky, then it is going to rain.) Now the belief then becomes information if there are clouds, or there aren't, and it begins to rain. I say information because information can then be disproving. When there are clouds in the sky, and it doesn’t rain, than it causes you to question your information and belief, and thus resulting into an even deeper and more concise hypothesis. Through thorough investigation and zeal to find the truth do we notice that the color of the clouds determines rain or not. Therefore when we go back and fix our belief to, I believe that if the clouds show dark colors, then the percentage of rain is higher. Then that becomes a strong information. And the more information is supported, proven, or becomes structurally stronger does it become a knowledge. And knowledge becomes learned and it then becomes a truth. Once it is a truth, it becomes absolute and can never be changed.

Belief and knowledge, although different, very much are the same in their purpose: to uncover the truth. They are just steps in discovering and proving. But sometimes information is as high as we can go…

Last edited by King of Blades on Sep 22nd, 2005 at 05:31 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 05:27 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

so in other words, knowledge is "proved" by our senses??

not neccesarily, but very much yes. Proof can range from divine interventions, to meer coincidences.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 05:29 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote