KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » How do we see?

How do we see?
Started by: Shakyamunison

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Question How do we see?

Are photons the only thing we can see?

It sounds simple, but I don’t know for sure. If something does not give off light or even reflect light, then it would look black, and we would not be about to see it. Is that correct?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 02:52 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

My 2-cents worth: if we define "seeing" as involving reception of photons, then by definition we would "not see" it. However, we could still notice it via the absence of light in that vicinity.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 03:09 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Yes, we SEE because our eyes absorb photons emitted or reflected by the objects around us.
Objects like black holes and dark matter neither reflect nor emit light, so we can't see them/it.
As Mindship says, we can detect black holes through other means though.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 03:13 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheMercurial
Unmythical mortal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
My 2-cents worth: if we define "seeing" as involving reception of photons, then by definition we would "not see" it. However, we could still notice it via the absence of light in that vicinity.

Well if an object didnt absorb or reflect light, wouldnt we just see through it, and so, we wouldnt notice the lack of light, we'd just the the area behind such an object.

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 03:32 PM
TheMercurial is currently offline Click here to Send TheMercurial a Private Message Find more posts by TheMercurial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Re: How do we see?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Are photons the only thing we can see?

It sounds simple, but I don’t know for sure. If something does not give off light or even reflect light, then it would look black, and we would not be about to see it. Is that correct?

The stimulus for vision is light, electromagnetic energy. So yes photons are what we see. We see electromagnetic energy at wavelengths between 400 nm to 700 nm, so not all photons are "seen" by humans.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 05:19 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by The Omega
Yes, we SEE because our eyes absorb photons emitted or reflected by the objects around us.
Objects like black holes and dark matter neither reflect nor emit light, so we can't see them/it.
As Mindship says, we can detect black holes through other means though.

You are a physics person if I remember correctly. I have a question about black holes. Black holes often spew stuff out in a predictable pattern, fact or theory I don't know, if a black hole were viewed from a point where this occurred toward the observer, is it visible? Or does the material collapse back in before any light escapes?

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 05:27 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Xirius
Well if an object didnt absorb or reflect light, wouldnt we just see through it, and so, we wouldnt notice the lack of light, we'd just the the area behind such an object.

I would think so. However, Shaky did begin his question with, "If something does not give off light or even reflect light..." He didn't say anything about also not absorbing light.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 05:33 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I would think so. However, Shaky did begin his question with, "If something does not give off light or even reflect light..." He didn't say anything about also not absorbing light.

Anything that does not give off, reflect or absorb light, would look really strange, if you could see it at all. Maybe that is what dark matter is, invisible matter. wink

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:03 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Anything that does not give off, reflect or absorb light, would look really strange, if you could see it at all. Maybe that is what dark matter is, invisible matter. wink

...and carbon monoxide? wink

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:09 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

...and carbon monoxide? wink

confused If you shine photons on a carbon monoxide molecular, it would absorb the photons, wouldn't it? confused

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:11 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

confused If you shine photons on a carbon monoxide molecular, it would absorb the photons, wouldn't it? confused

Lemme see...

*gets flashlight, goes into garage, turns on car...*

------------------------------------

*comes back...barely...several minutes later*

I couldn't...tell...sleepy...

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:30 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Lemme see...

*gets flashlight, goes into garage, turns on car...*

------------------------------------

*comes back...barely...several minutes later*

I couldn't...tell...sleepy...

laughing Don't do that again. Leave it to the pros. laughing

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:42 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

For what I know carbon monoxide emitts, and reflects in the infrared part of the specter, and absorb other colors.

That why the greenhouse effect happens, the sun light enter the atmosphere and is converted to heat, when this heat tries to get out of the planet in the form of infrared radiation, it is reflected back again.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 05:52 AM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

we see with our brain

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 31st, 2006 01:14 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

quote:

no. To "see through" an object, the object would have to bend light around it.

Here's a scenerio: You are standing in a room. A box is located directly between you and the wall. If this box were to not reflect light, you would simply see a true black sillouette of the box. You would not be able to see the wall behind it as the box is still there, obstructing the photons reflecting off the wall from reaching your eyes.

To be able to "see through" the box.......the box would have to be extremely massive, bending space-time around it.

don't second guess Omega.........

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2006 07:53 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Our perceptions.................only that............some have others that we do not and can see other things we do not.........I do not discount them.....too many people have testified to them..................

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2006 02:58 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote