KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does your life really flash before your eyes?

Does your life really flash before your eyes?
Started by: Xman Unleashed

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Xman Unleashed

Question Does your life really flash before your eyes?

Does your life really flash before your eyes? Before you die? And if so is it in fast forward mode including your whole life or just the important and defining parts of your life?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2006 11:24 PM
Xman Unleashed is currently offline Click here to Send Xman Unleashed a Private Message Find more posts by Xman Unleashed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sasuke Uchiha
NoyauDur Zombie Pupitreur

I do not know... I would say it would only be parts that had signifigance in your life, that defined your personality. yes

Old Post Jul 16th, 2006 11:26 PM
Sasuke Uchiha is currently offline Click here to Send Sasuke Uchiha a Private Message Find more posts by Sasuke Uchiha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I dont know...I've never died. But I know some people who have.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 12:02 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xman Unleashed

*Like I assume it would only occur before you are mortaly wounded like you see a bus or truck coming and cannot move in time, as opposed to sudden death by explosion or not directly looking at it, BTW anyone believe you actually see Death himself appear and slice you his sickle balde? If so would you see your life flash before your eyes, and then Death himself or visa versa?

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 12:37 AM
Xman Unleashed is currently offline Click here to Send Xman Unleashed a Private Message Find more posts by Xman Unleashed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

this is a pretty silly question because it's based on a myth.......that at first glance, anyone knows is impossible to answer.

No person has ever died.....and came back to life. No human being has ever ceased cardio and neurological function......to have died, to become lifeless and remain that way hence forth.......then have come back as a ghost to explain what they saw before they died.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 03:58 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Evil Dead
this is a pretty silly question because it's based on a myth.......that at first glance, anyone knows is impossible to answer.

No person has ever died.....and came back to life. No human being has ever ceased cardio and neurological function......to have died, to become lifeless and remain that way hence forth.......then have come back as a ghost to explain what they saw before they died.

I agree, but I wonder how the myth got started.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2006 04:01 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

it's impossible to know now........but my guess would be that somebody's mind was wandering as they came close to death, as their neurological functions began being disrupted......synapses misfiring.... what information entered their mind was memories of thier life. Then someone else reported the same.......and another...and another......and another...................ofcourse anybody who would make a claim like, "your life flashes before your eyes when you die" would be sure to leave out that yeah, a percentage of the population experience this while an equal percentage experience feelings of euphoria as if they were stoned......aswell as a percentage experiencing dreams they had once had that were still stored in their memory......aswell as a percentage experiencing their "to do" list for the next day......

it's much more profound to say, "you're life flashes before your eyes when you die" than it is to say "when you come close to death and your brain is robbed of oxygen, the synapses misfire...pulling information at random that is stored in your brain. some may be memories of past experiences but it's just as likely to be travel directions, dreams, yearnings or anything other information ever stored by your brain".

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 03:04 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

it's impossible to know now........but my guess would be that somebody's mind was wandering as they came close to death, as their neurological functions began being disrupted......synapses misfiring.... what information entered their mind was memories of thier life. Then someone else reported the same.......and another...and another......and another...................ofcourse anybody who would make a claim like, "your life flashes before your eyes when you die" would be sure to leave out that yeah, a percentage of the population experience this while an equal percentage experience feelings of euphoria as if they were stoned......aswell as a percentage experiencing dreams they had once had that were still stored in their memory......aswell as a percentage experiencing their "to do" list for the next day......

it's much more profound to say, "you're life flashes before your eyes when you die" than it is to say "when you come close to death and your brain is robbed of oxygen, the synapses misfire...pulling information at random that is stored in your brain. some may be memories of past experiences but it's just as likely to be travel directions, dreams, yearnings or anything other information ever stored by your brain".

laughing It's also easier to say. laughing

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 03:07 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

I hope I won' t find out the answer to this question in the near future.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2006 03:10 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xman Unleashed

You will one day we all will, and in 200 years everything you and I and everybody else is doing will just become another page in history....life goes on but.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2006 08:59 AM
Quiero Mota

Re: Does your life really flash before your eyes?

Originally posted by Xman Unleashed
Does your life really flash before your eyes? Before you die? And if so is it in fast forward mode including your whole life or just the important and defining parts of your life?

I don't think it's to be taken so literally that a "film-strip of your life" quickly flashes before your eyes. I do believe that if your lying down and death is imminent (say for example from a mortal wound) your best and favorite life experiences and memories come to your mind in vivid clarity. Kinda like in Forrest Gump when Bubba is mortally wounded in Vietnam and he tells Forrest "I wanna go home".

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 03:30 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xman Unleashed

Yeah i agree that is more reasonable and logical. If however you die suddenly without time to react then your brain obviously would not have the time to generate the process of seeing the best bits of your life.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2006 10:31 AM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Yep, sometimes you don´t have time to 'acknowledge' your death. I think you are talking about some situations where we become extremely aware of our death, and have time to keep wondering.

Wondering about our lives is what we do when we are still alive, but in death there is no preocupations about how we lived our lifes or something like this. What is done, is done.

Last edited by Atlantis001 on Jul 21st, 2006 at 02:17 AM

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 02:07 AM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthivader

well, there's actually a book about this, its about a lady who came back from death, and it tells her journey, its pretty interesting, and she has other titles too

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 04:11 AM
darthivader is currently offline Click here to Send darthivader a Private Message Find more posts by darthivader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

nobody has ever come back from death. death by it's very nature is permanent. Not one person walking this earth has ever had a complete lack or cardio and neurological function......only to miraculously have both again.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 12:19 PM
sammii

I think for "life to flash before you" could only happen if the person dyin knew it was coming eg cancer ect

then in a sudden rush to snap back to reality drain the mind of as many happy memorys possible

Old Post Jul 31st, 2006 07:56 PM
sammii is currently offline Click here to Send sammii a Private Message Find more posts by sammii Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stevenfairley

i think its the brains way of waving good bye to its self to make its self very happy with all the happiest moments of your life.

i started thinking about this when i saw armageddon and just before the bomb blows him to bits (and the rock) his life flashes.
but thinking about it now it actualy makes me feel very pieceful.
hmm

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 02:10 PM
stevenfairley is currently offline Click here to Send stevenfairley a Private Message Find more posts by stevenfairley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe that with history going on forever, we could be able to find a way to bring people back to life, and create a machine that does this.

Then, when we're all brought back to life, we'd remember, and tell and this "life flash before your eyes" will be proven right or wrong.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 04:41 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Xman Unleashed
Does your life really flash before your eyes? Before you die?
Yes...plus the life you would've had had you not died (no one ever talks about that part). cool

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 04:58 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

nobody has ever come back from death. death by it's very nature is permanent. Not one person walking this earth has ever had a complete lack or cardio and neurological function......only to miraculously have both again.
What about those people who died for like 4 seconds or something?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 09:50 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote