KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » So, if we are a part of a Omniverse and we follow Evolutionary system.

So, if we are a part of a Omniverse and we follow Evolutionary system.
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

So, if we are a part of a Omniverse and we follow Evolutionary system.

Would that mean that there are incalculable versions of yourselves in other universes?

Could there be other WDs posting the same question in the other KMCs?

Are we not the result of Evolution?

Isn't a Omniverse consider a multiple universes existing at once?

Well?

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 30th, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 12:39 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Would that means that there are incalculable versions of yourselves in other universes?

They might.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 12:39 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I wonder if the Bardock42s and WDs in the other universes are thinking about us two in their respective universes.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 30th, 2007 at 12:47 AM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 12:43 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I wonder if the Bardock42s and WDs in the other universes are thinking about us two in their respective universes.
They might.

I guess chances are good that there is an infinite amount of stuff....though infinite implies time...which might not be necessary.

Abstract stuff is abstract.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 01:02 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: So, if we are a part of a Omniverse and we follow Evolutionary system.

Would that mean that there are incalculable versions of yourselves in other universes?

Well?

Interestingly if you consider to possible number of variations that could exist there are pobably an infinite number of absolutely identical versions of us doing the exact same things.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 01:42 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yes and no.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 01:53 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Yes and no.

There were more than 2 questions.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 01:57 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There were more than 2 questions.

There are a lot of yes and no in my answer. I just didn't want to type them all.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 01:59 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Well, that parallel universe thing is the result of an interpretation of quantum mechanics. We canīt deny it makes some sense since it solve problems and explain things in science, but I think there is more to it and its not know everything yet.

So perhaps these parallel universes are not exactly what we think they are, perhaps they are just a way to explain something in QM, or perhaps there are other ways to interpretate them.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 03:10 AM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well?
You been reading a book haven't you?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I read a book like that too........It relates to holographic universes. Kind of a Quantum thingie...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 03:17 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Well?

I would be interested in meeting "myself." I wonder just how different "I" would be, or maybe the same.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 03:30 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Well?
In the other KMCs, the WDs used the word "ourselves" instead of "yourselves" thus separating into another universe at the point that the choice of words was made. eek! jk

I believe that such is possible, I also believe there is absolutely no means by which these universes could become aware of one another as if they were to come into contact, at the point of contact they would merge and the past would be whole and indiscernible by the merged self.

Or is it all just reflections of Amber?

Sorry couldn't help throwing a Zelazny reference into this discussion wink

All choices and alternatives are chosen. Each choice is played out in an entirely separate universe, resulting in an infinite number of alternate universes. No choice is not made, they all have resulted in something somewhere, and influenced the path that that universe took.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 07:03 AM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Well?

Some cosmologists who propose multiple universes, see this as the logical response to Intelligent Design. In other words, whereas ID points out how finely tuned all the countless parts of our universe are in order to support life -- and that the odds of this happening by chance are so infinitesimal that this must be the result of a creator -- these cosmologists say it's simply a numbers game: if you have an infinite number of universes, sooner or later you will get one that's just like ours. Indeed, with true infinity, you can have an infinite subset of life-supporting universes -- each with a slight variation, many with a WrathfulDwarf going "H'mmm...I wonder if there are other universes..."

And while there is no empirical evidence for multiple universes -- just like there is no empirical evidence for "God" -- empirical evidence for these other universes is theoretical attainable, whereas for "God" (a nonempirical entity, if "He" exists) it is not.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 12:23 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Re: So, if we are a part of a Omniverse and we follow Evolutionary system.

Originally posted by Mindship
Some cosmologists who propose multiple universes, see this as the logical response to Intelligent Design. In other words, whereas ID points out how finely tuned all the countless parts of our universe are in order to support life -- and that the odds of this happening by chance are so infinitesimal that this must be the result of a creator -- these cosmologists say it's simply a numbers game: if you have an infinite number of universes, sooner or later you will get one that's just like ours. Indeed, with true infinity, you can have an infinite subset of life-supporting universes -- each with a slight variation, many with a WrathfulDwarf going "H'mmm...I wonder if there are other universes..."

I like this part and this is were I like to stick to. I know eventually ID will pop out and I'm trying to steer clear of that area. I do find ID interesting....but I'm more into the Probability area.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 30th, 2007 at 04:34 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 04:30 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No scenario is truly infinite; there are limits somewhere either on scale or what can be achieved, else we would have met them already.

Infinity when applied to such things is a self-contradictory concept anyway. Douglas Adams did well to take the piss.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 08:38 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

If there are muti-universes I bet Oprah is the leader of the world in one, and I'm leading the revolution agaisnt her giant head

The question that intrigues me the most is "Are we no the result of Evolution?"

If they're other version of ourselves who's to say they evolved any more or less. Maybe those bastards are the ones who are riding around in jetpacks that our society was suppose to have done years ago, or maybe they're extremely dumb, and haven't even invented television yet.(which could be a paradox, because w/o TV there minds might actually be sharper.)

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 08:51 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Re: Re: So, if we are a part of a Omniverse and we follow Evolutionary system.

Originally posted by Mindship
And while there is no empirical evidence for multiple universes -- just like there is no empirical evidence for "God" -- empirical evidence for these other universes is theoretical attainable, whereas for "God" (a nonempirical entity, if "He" exists) it is not.

Good point.

Its funny how the scientific society accept some non-empirical ideas like virtual particles, string theory and parallel universes, but deny other ideas when everything that is not empirical should not be considered science by their own definition of science.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 09:00 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Its funny how the scientific society accept some non-empirical ideas like virtual particles, string theory and parallel universes, but deny other ideas when everything that is not empirical should not be considered science by their own definition of science.

There's a fine line between science and scientism.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2007 10:44 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

1) Um, I think there is a major point being missed and that is that we are assuming this 'omniverse' has DIFFERENT people that are like us when in reality a better explanation of an omniverse would be ONE timeline of events that repeat for infinity. Like, at this moment I am typing this word and in an alternate universe the same thing is happening just 1 second later than this timeline, and so on for all of them.

2) Time travel, more appropriately "time jumping" is impossible.

3) The entire idea is crazy and for the most part the result of nerdy science-fiction loving scientists who were watching star trek instead of working.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2007 12:04 AM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm guilty on #3. Except I'm more philosopher than scientist.

However, what's with the Time Travel comment? We're not discussing a time travel idea between universes. We are just speculating the idea of others versions of ourselves in other universes.

*goes back to watching Star Trek*

Old Post Jan 31st, 2007 12:10 AM