KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Why do we fear rejection or loneliness ?

Why do we fear rejection or loneliness ?
Started by: Atlantis001

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Why do we fear rejection or loneliness ?

We can fear many things like rejection, loneliness, humiliaton, pain or losing our lives, but what exactly we fear ?

Is fear about losing something ? I mean, in a situation like rejection or loneliness. What we could possibly lose from these situations ? There is no life risk, no real danger. So why do we fear it ?

By an evolutionary perspective, we could say that these fears are related to survival. So we could say that we fear loneliness, for example because it is more probable for us to survive if we live in group. But I believe this provides more an answer to what is the function of these fears in nature, then to what those fears are about.

So what I am really asking is, for example, when we are in a situation where we could be rejected, or when we become aware of the possibility of being rejected or being alone, why we feel fear if there is no real danger ? Why do we fear it ?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 05:29 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

People have the need to feel desirable. Rejection lowers our self-esteem, which could lead to experiencing feelings of worthlessness and not belonging.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 08:08 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Most people don't have much of a good self image, otherwise it wouldn't be much to get over.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 08:49 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Storm
People have the need to feel desirable. Rejection lowers our self-esteem, which could lead to experiencing feelings of worthlessness and not belonging.

But why people need to feel desirable ? Is there a way to answer that without making reference to our instincts or its biological significance ?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 10:32 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

People with a good self image don't have a need to feel desirable, imo.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 11:01 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Deja~vu
People with a good self image don't have a need to feel desirable, imo.

Many psychologists would argue that, that is because they already feel that they are desirable.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 12:12 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow Spider
All mighty overlord!

In my opinion, humans fear loneliness because they feel they have no purpose when there isn't anyone else to notice it. Most can only justify their existence through the acknowledgement of others. Humans naturally don't want such feelings.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 02:42 AM
Shadow Spider is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow Spider a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow Spider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Many people make the mistake of justifying their worth on others opinions of them.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 10:34 PM
pixie1

Most people are born into a family (whether that be a mom+dad or mom+her friends or anti+uncle ...etc.)as we grow we go to school and we become part of a larger family(community)
so being alone is very hard.Why would you want to be if you have been apart of something for so long
as well as that there is also the fact that when most people are born they have people who stand around saying aww isn't she/he cute and as the child grows they get the isn't he/she beautifully or you are wonderful just the way you are! and that gives most people the impression that they have to live up to the standard's of others

I've got a pal, she's called Pixie,From Birmingham where they're all trixxy, ((fun))She thinks she can't spell,
I say "What the hell?"Doesn't matter because she's damn sexy!!
By syren Happy Dance

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2008 11:35 PM
pixie1 is currently offline Click here to Send pixie1 a Private Message Find more posts by pixie1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Atlantis001
We can fear many things like rejection, loneliness, humiliaton, pain or losing our lives, but what exactly we fear ?

Is fear about losing something ? I mean, in a situation like rejection or loneliness. What we could possibly lose from these situations ? There is no life risk, no real danger. So why do we fear it ?

By an evolutionary perspective, we could say that these fears are related to survival. So we could say that we fear loneliness, for example because it is more probable for us to survive if we live in group. But I believe this provides more an answer to what is the function of these fears in nature, then to what those fears are about.

So what I am really asking is, for example, when we are in a situation where we could be rejected, or when we become aware of the possibility of being rejected or being alone, why we feel fear if there is no real danger ? Why do we fear it ?
It all boils down to Death Terror.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2008 01:31 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

Not just desirable, but we are social creatures, so anything that would inhibit our social nature (deny us of our own being) will of course be something we fear. It's like asking why are we afraid of death? Simple. Because we are creatures, like all other kinds, that tend to lean towards life. Why we lean towards life, however, is subjective to our own personal philosophy.

Originally posted by Atlantis001
But why people need to feel desirable ? Is there a way to answer that without making reference to our instincts or its biological significance ?

To deny our psychology is to deny the essence of the answer. Philosophy can not deny what makes it. Psychology impacts our personal philosophy to the extent that without it, what do we have?

Last edited by King of Blades on Jan 4th, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2008 10:15 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

People are as stupid as apes. I know it now.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2008 10:28 PM
King of Blades
The King

People are as stupid as apes. I know it now.

Mob-mentality? Maybe. But a sole individual? You'd be stupid to say otherwise.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2008 11:19 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SoylentBlue
*narrows eyes*

Originally posted by Mindship

Everything does. >>

Old Post Jan 7th, 2008 06:49 AM
SoylentBlue is currently offline Click here to Send SoylentBlue a Private Message Find more posts by SoylentBlue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Mindship

What a wonderful phrase.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2008 01:20 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Originally posted by King of Blades
Mob-mentality? Maybe. But a sole individual? You'd be stupid to say otherwise.
Easily influenced by others gossip, Ape, dumb...stupid. At least as we know it, apes don't gossip or do they.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 01:34 AM
King of Blades
The King

Easily influenced by others gossip, Ape, dumb...stupid. At least as we know it, apes don't gossip or do they.

The weaknesses of some are not the weaknesses of all. Apes still form prejudices, and their little cliques. Though humans aren't the same as apes. We may share similar similar anatomies, and basic social structure, but to compare man to an ape would be comparing a pebble to a mountain. Similar but not the same.

Again sole individuals brought freedom to a nation, united a people against racial prejudice, cured diseases, enhanced medical practices, etc. Sole individuals did these, not monkeys. Find me a monkey that finds a cure to cancer or builds great towers and vehicles that stand as monuments to the advance of man.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 02:53 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
What a wonderful phrase.
I thought that was Hakuna Matata.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2008 02:59 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Cosigned.

Also look up Maslows Hierarchy.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:41 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i hate everyone and everything and i still fear rejection sad

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 04:30 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote