KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » can you feal so much emotional pain that you cant even feal yourself?

can you feal so much emotional pain that you cant even feal yourself?
Started by: leonheartmm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonheartmm

yea, just what i asked. also, do you beleive{cognitively/spiritually/bio or neurochemically} that any person can truly lose "all" hope? thnx

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 03:36 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

there is a condition in animal behaviour called learned helplessness. If you put an animal in a situation where it is constantly shocked, it will first start to escape and become very violent. After it is clear there is no escape, the animal will stop trying, and will continue to be shocked willingly even if the opportunity to escape presents itself.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 04:28 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

^but im not talking about learned helplessness. that is just letting go of ONE type of hope. i.e. escaping a specified predicament/situation. but im talking about hope here as in ALL hope concerning everything you have hope about. hope as a fealing/emotion. learned helplessness is more of a behaviour.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 04:38 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Re: can you feal so much emotional pain that you cant even feal yourself?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonheartmm
yea, just what i asked. also, do you beleive{cognitively/spiritually/bio or neurochemically} that any person can truly lose "all" hope? thnx

Not in any of those ways, but maybe neurospiritually laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 06:29 PM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

do you beleive...that any person can truly lose "all" hope?
Sounds like depression.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 09:24 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

feal as in feel or feal as in heal?

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 09:27 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Theoretically yes. IIRC it is the fourth step of traditional brainwashing.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 09:33 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by Mindship
Sounds like depression.

I think Leon's question about losing all hope involves more than depression. I suspect that if all hope were actually lost, a person would not even be aware that he is hopeless.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 02:56 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Quark_666
I think Leon's question about losing all hope involves more than depression. I suspect that if all hope were actually lost, a person would not even be aware that he is hopeless.
H'm. I didn't interpret the question that way. However, clinical depression can involve emotional numbness/denial/apathy (though it is certainly not the only state which can do so). Paradoxically, it can even lead to elation when suicide is contemplated. Suicide--the anticipated freedom from emotional pain, against which numbness is a temporary, incomplete fix--returns a sense of control and hope.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 12:01 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Yes, but it's your choice.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 03:36 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

^what if u rent responsible for it.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 04:35 PM
Cornlady

I think you can loose all hope, (I hope no one on here does) and I believe that is called depression.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 07:25 PM
Cornlady is currently offline Click here to Send Cornlady a Private Message Find more posts by Cornlady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

What do you mean feel yourself?

yes you can lose all hope most people I know refer to it as depression, you can also regain hope.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 08:21 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

The self is the image/idea we create for ourselves of what we are. Its our identity. That identity can lose hope, and we can lose hope if we give attention to that identity.

People could try to give up being themselves. Its always the self who loses hope.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2008 08:25 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

no, i mean, like, "SENSE OF EXISTANCE" , as in the FEALING of being aware/existing which so many call soul etc.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2008 10:49 AM
leonheartmm

bump

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 09:57 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Don't teach a child what hope is, and bring them up in an environment that is devoid of meaningful stimuli that would lead to such emotions. And yeah, they'll have no hope.

It's possible to be devoid of ANY emotion, provided it isn't linked directly to brain states caused by evolutionary programming. Even then, say with crying when a child is hungry, they don't "desire" it unless they know what it means to desire...it's just a rote bio-chemical response that happens because natural selection has favored genes that trigger such responses. The response is entirely extrinsically causal, and requires no formal emotion.

It's impossible in a practical sense due to the way we live our lives, but as long as we're talking in hypotheticals there's no real problem with doing it.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 4th, 2008 at 05:40 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 05:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Don't teach a child what hope is, and bring them up in an environment that is devoid of meaningful stimuli that would lead to such emotions. And yeah, they'll have no hope.

It's really hard for me to understand what you (and others) mean by "teach a child what hope is" or any other emotion for that matter.

How to you "teach hope"?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 06:31 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

It's really hard for me to understand what you (and others) mean by "teach a child what hope is" or any other emotion for that matter.

How to you "teach hope"?

The word/concept/etc. At birth a child cannot hope because they have no frame of reference with which to experience "hope." Thus, a state can exist where hope is non-existent and impossible to have.

Like I said, impossible in practical terms because a child will stumble on "hope" in their life even if the word isn't formally introduced, but in a hypothetical situation (which would probably have to be devoid of any meaningful stimuli) it's possible.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 06:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

How to you "teach hope"?
I don't think it needs to be taught. We learn to recognize it, to label it, but I don't think it's something we learn, per se, anymore than we learn anger. Perhaps teaching hope means pointing out what situations warrant anticipating a positive outcome (but then, isn't that "giving one hope"?).

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 10:07 PM