KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What makes pain bad?

What makes pain bad?
Started by: caedusrulesall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Agent White
No title since 2009-07-25

Question What makes pain bad?

We all feel physical pain, and we immediately reject it as bad. But why? Why do we say to ourselves that physical pain is an unpleasant feeling? Why do we reject physical pain as unpleasant?

Truthfully, next time you feel pain, ask yourself why it is bad. Why is it something that needs to be gotten rid of, unlike other physical sensations? Try next time that you feel physical pain that it does not hurt. Pain does not hurt because it is not good, nor is it bad. It is simply there . It is like any other sensation: not good, not bad, but simply a feeling that is there and we will patiently wait for it to leave. This is a philosophy forum, and this is philosophy. Pain is not bad, but simply there.

Try it. I have, and I have found that I can withstand quite a bit of physical pain, up to a point. If everyone learns how not to feel pain as an unpleasant sensation, we can all get on with our lives much better than if we stopped every time we experienced a pain.

This is not masochism, since masochism is enjoying pain. This is simply ignoring pain, rejecting the idea of it being any kind of sensation that is good or bad. To live life without pain is to live life happier, and to live it by this expression:

Pain drowns other people. I just swim in it.

"I'm not crazy! Don't call me crazy! I'm just not user-friendly!"

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 12:24 AM
Agent White is currently offline Click here to Send Agent White a Private Message Find more posts by Agent White Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Physical pain is usually the result of damage to bodily functions being reported via nerve impulse to the brain. Pain is not an enemy, but rather a warning. Warnings aren't bad, but they are not meant to be enjoyed.

The process of evolution is not very forgiving of creatures that don't try to do something about pain. Fear of many dangers in nature is a result of pain, and both fear and pain work together in the brain to avoid hazardous situations.

Animals that ignore pain no doubt left the gene pool long ago.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 02:14 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: What makes pain bad?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by caedusrulesall
We all feel physical pain, and we immediately reject it as bad. But why? Why do we say to ourselves that physical pain is an unpleasant feeling? Why do we reject physical pain as unpleasant?

Truthfully, next time you feel pain, ask yourself why it is bad. Why is it something that needs to be gotten rid of, unlike other physical sensations? Try next time that you feel physical pain that it does not hurt. Pain does not hurt because it is not good, nor is it bad. It is simply there . It is like any other sensation: not good, not bad, but simply a feeling that is there and we will patiently wait for it to leave. This is a philosophy forum, and this is philosophy. Pain is not bad, but simply there.

Try it. I have, and I have found that I can withstand quite a bit of physical pain, up to a point. If everyone learns how not to feel pain as an unpleasant sensation, we can all get on with our lives much better than if we stopped every time we experienced a pain.

This is not masochism, since masochism is enjoying pain. This is simply ignoring pain, rejecting the idea of it being any kind of sensation that is good or bad. To live life without pain is to live life happier, and to live it by this expression:

Pain drowns other people. I just swim in it.

If you're not a Vulcan or a major burn victim ignoring pain is effectively impossible. I don't know why you would want to ignore it anyway, pain is one of the ways in which people learn.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 02:32 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Because it hurts?? confused

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:08 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

lol, as everyone has said, pain isn't bad

also, what about masochism?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 06:03 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Pain has a profound effect on the quality of life. It often interferes with our quality of sleep and productivity. It touches daily living, and affects our overall ability to function.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 06:23 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I think that pain is a bit tricky....Pain in sexual activity is fun. But pain as in a major illness is quite the opposite. It must involved some kind of control that we could have in pain. In sex, it can be stop...in a terrible illness is not...so we eventually become afraid of pain and consider it bad...when it's actually nature doing it's mechanism.

To the folks that hold strong on "from pain we learn..." well, there is some truth to that...but again, in a terminal illness in which you're suffering from pain...what is there to learn? You gonna die?

Uncontrol pain can be very bad...that's my point.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 08:56 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I'm usually able to ignore pain.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 04:35 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by Strangelove

What degree of pain do you refer to?

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 08:55 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

basic axioms of this world. we are BUILT to be dislike pain. we, by the confines that define ourselves, are made in such a way as to find pain not preferrable to us. if you try to resist it, at best ull be able to live with it but since at our basis, we are built to reject pain, you will never be impartial to it{if u r, then u have supressed the sensation and hence are not IN pain} . its like asking an anti virus why it wud resist/attack a virus. for sum1 higher up like the programmer, a virus MAY be neither more or less preferrable than the anti virus, but that distinction doesnt exist for the anti virus. the anti virus DEFINES itself by rejecting the virus, that is how it has been made. the only one who can treat pain/non pain, good/bad, dark/light, impartially is sumbody{perhaps god or sumthing} who is truly beyond these concepts. we are not, and hence, we shud not be impartial to them.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 09:19 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Acute pain is the body' s red alert. It provides us with a protective reflex, such as to stop an activity when it causes pain. A finger cut, bruises, etc. are simply a nuisance. However, if acute pain persists, it is a symptom of a disease which needs to be treated and not ignored. It is not simply there. While the biological function of pain is positive, the sensation of pain is not good in itself.

The second basic form of pain is chronic pain, ranging from minor to catastrophic. It does not serve any protective or other biological function.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 10:51 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Pain in sexual activity is fun

Old Post Mar 1st, 2008 12:14 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Strangelove

You've never had a tooth abscess then. Oral pain is the god damn worst. I would rather have bones broken

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2008 03:41 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
You've never had a tooth abscess then. Oral pain is the god damn worst. I would rather have bones broken

Lol, I don't think anybody who pretends to love pain has ever felt real pain. I've never had anything worse than an ear infection, but at least I'm not sitting in front of the computer biting myself saying "oh, I'm not effected by this pain...I can ignore it like it's nothing"

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 05:32 AM
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I think that pain is a bit tricky....Pain in sexual activity is fun. But pain as in a major illness is quite the opposite. It must involved some kind of control that we could have in pain. In sex, it can be stop...in a terrible illness is not...so we eventually become afraid of pain and consider it bad...when it's actually nature doing it's mechanism.

You really like porcupines don't you?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 05:35 AM
Agent White
No title since 2009-07-25

Originally posted by Quark_666
Lol, I don't think anybody who pretends to love pain has ever felt real pain. I've never had anything worse than an ear infection, but at least I'm not sitting in front of the computer biting myself saying "oh, I'm not effected by this pain...I can ignore it like it's nothing"

Not love pain...simply be not affected by it. Perceive the warning that it is sending you, stop what you are doing that is harming your body, but be able to shut out the residual throbbing pain that keeps coming even after you've taken the warning it is giving you.

"I'm not crazy! Don't call me crazy! I'm just not user-friendly!"

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 10:44 PM
Agent White is currently offline Click here to Send Agent White a Private Message Find more posts by Agent White Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

It's evolution, plain and simple. Pain indicates bodily harm which leads to death. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that natural selection would favor genes that tell the body to respond in an adverse way to pain, because those individuals would survive more numerously than entities that ignored pain.

Most pain isn't potentially fatal, but our adverse reaction to all pain is merely a side-effect to the same responses that do help ensure survival. False positives (a positive being a life-threatening injury), in this case, ensure maximum survival because to err the other direction would be to occasionally underestimate mortal wounds.

It can be construed as something pleasurable, but that requires a willful decision and effort to do so. It's possible, but not the natural programmed reaction to pain.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 11:09 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Old Post Mar 5th, 2008 08:17 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Deja~vu
Pain in sexual activity is fun

So, what's your number? wink

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Mar 6th, 2008 06:23 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Pain is a song by Three Days Grace.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2008 09:20 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote