KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?

Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Shocked Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?

Mind over body...

Mind can conquer new horizons....

Mind can overcome anything....

Blah..blah..blah...

You die, the mind dies.....so much for the powers of the mind.

wink

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 06:19 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?

What else (do we know of) can build machines to calculate precise mathematical trajectories for sending other machines across billions of miles to take pictures of multiple celestial bodies over many years' time?

What else can assemble (as far as we know) a reasonable scenario regarding the birth of the Universe?

IMO, these, and other accomplishments, are pretty darn-tootin' amazing.

That mind dies? Eh. No one's perfect.

smokin'

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Mar 18th, 2008 at 06:48 PM

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 06:44 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

The mind is more than just a brain, an organ, or chemistry. It transcends the body, imo. I have a different view of what the mind is.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 01:10 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Indulgence
Mindless

IMO;
The mind controls more than just your thoughts, your motions, etc. It can control the world around you.
Example:
You're really thirsty, but your supervisor won't let you leave the cubicle for whatever reason. You think you have a bottle of water in a drawer in your desk, and when you open it, a bottle of water there is.

Though it obviously seems like simple coincedince, this is exactly what your mind is capable of: Believing something will happen, and it does.

Using the same example, and to show-imo-how complex the mind is, say you were there a week before, two dollars in hand infront of a vending machine. You think about it, and you purchase two waters instead of just one, just in case you want it tomorrow.
Could this be your mind seeing an event sub-conciously into the future, preparing you for what might happen?

All of this IMO, of course.

Cattle. That's all we are.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 02:07 AM
Indulgence is currently offline Click here to Send Indulgence a Private Message Find more posts by Indulgence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

And, we supposedly ONLY use a small part of it.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 02:08 AM
Col. Valerian is currently offline Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Re: Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Mind over body...

Blah..blah..blah...

wink
Actually it's usually just under used.

For every person who thinks they can move things with their mind, there are dozens who don't think they can pass a basic high school chemistry class or something stupid like that.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 03:08 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

the Mind is only thought and so, where does thought come from?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 03:10 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

wink

Can you prove that?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 04:38 AM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Mind over body...

Blah..blah..blah...

wink

Possibly but eventually when we can download our brains into computers that wont be the case.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 09:01 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

depends on the individual an/or scenario. sumtimes the mind can do unbeleiveable miracles, sumtimes it cant do anything.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 10:21 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Is the Mind just plain OVERRATED?

Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Can you prove that?

does someone really have to post a picture of a decomposing brain?

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 11:31 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Ambiguity
You're really thirsty, but your supervisor won't let you leave the cubicle for whatever reason. You think you have a bottle of water in a drawer in your desk, and when you open it, a bottle of water there is.

Along similar lines: the mind can bypass space and time. Eg...

- You're at work and someone asks you what's the color of your mother's eyes. Dear ol' mom is no where near you, so acquiring sensory input--looking--is not an option. But you can still give a reliable and valid answer by transcending distance and any intervening barriers via the awesome, underrated power of Memory. (Of course, having Memory means peek-a-boo is no longer amusing, but sacrifices must be made.)

- You're reading Socrates. Now you're not only privy to the Mind of another person, but someone who's been dead for thousands of years.

Darn tootin' amazing.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 11:31 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Well, one mind can dictate the thoughts of others....

....see Leaders (mind you I'm using a negative subject) *wink-wink*

So is there sucha thing as a strong mind vs. weak mind?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 03:54 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Well, one mind can dictate the thoughts of others....

....see Leaders (mind you I'm using a negative subject) *wink-wink*

So is there sucha thing as a strong mind vs. weak mind?

H'm. Might this question be better worded if we substitute strong/weak will for strong/weak mind? In this context, I see Mind as an information storage/processing system, whereas Will would be the drive-to-action (as in, one dominating another).

In any event, I would answer, yes, though it should be footnoted that the "weaker" individual is still choosing to submit (even if they choose not to see it that way).

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 04:47 PM
tsilamini

"what is mind, doesn't matter; what is matter, never mind"

so, explain it for me, does my brain control my mind or my mind control my brain, thx guys!

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 06:31 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by inimalist
"what is mind, doesn't matter; what is matter, never mind"

so, explain it for me, does my brain control my mind or my mind control my brain, thx guys!

How about external things around you control both your mind and brain....hmm...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 09:21 PM
tsilamini

How about external things around you control both your mind and brain....hmm...

Behaviorist! Tie him to the steak!

actually, I agree with you, and I apologize for spamming your thread

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 09:35 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Mind is both mental and matter. One physical one mental...Mental is beyond physical on a pragmatic level. Mind is beyond body.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 12:13 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by inimalist
Behaviorist! Tie him to the steak!

lulz!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 05:12 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Mindship
What else (do we know of) can build machines to calculate precise mathematical trajectories for sending other machines across billions of miles to take pictures of multiple celestial bodies over many years' time?

What else can assemble (as far as we know) a reasonable scenario regarding the birth of the Universe?

IMO, these, and other accomplishments, are pretty darn-tootin' amazing.

That mind dies? Eh. No one's perfect.

smokin'

Is "darn-tootin'" a scientific word? confused

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 05:29 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote