KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What defines who we really are ?

What defines who we really are ?
Started by: Atlantis001

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Atlantis001
The one without a name

What defines who we really are ?

What do you think defines who we really are ?

I am refering to what we really are independently of our personal judgment and thoughts of ourselves(i.e the way we view ourselves, or what we think we are).

Is there a empirical way to define that or it is a pure metaphysical thing ?

I was thinking by defining who we really are perhaps through behavior or something like that, but then it came the idea that our thougths and judgment of our self, that what we think we are can influence our behavior and attitudes. So maybe we can't define who we are based on that.

Give me your thoughts. How do you see an idea of a self completely independent of our thoughts and judgment ?

Old Post May 6th, 2008 09:37 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King of Blades
The King

extreme situations. Odd to think this way, but it's the moments that hit us so fast and hard, moments that don't give us a moment to breath let alone think; it is in these periods in our existence that our true colors shine.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 11:16 PM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Re: What defines who we really are ?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Atlantis001

I am refering to what we really are independently of our personal judgment and thoughts of ourselves(i.e the way we view ourselves, or what we think we are).

I was thinking by defining who we really are perhaps through behavior or something like that, but then it came the idea that our thougths and judgment of our self, that what we think we are can influence our behavior and attitudes. So maybe we can't define who we are based on that.

Give me your thoughts. How do you see an idea of a self completely independent of our thoughts and judgment ?
Our thoughts and how we view others on this planet. What comes out is what is really inside.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 12:24 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

stuff...,definitely how much stuff you obtain.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 02:28 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

BIG QUESTION

...no objective answer.

...as these things usually go.

If you believe in a soul and/or God, you might have a definitive answer for this. Even then it's an individual opinion. Otherwise, no, to answer your question, empirical results toward this is out of the question.

It's like trying to make a "greatness" rating for life, then saying you're an 87.5 on the greatness scale. Awesome to think about (don't think I haven't tried) but not practical in any objective way.

Old Post May 8th, 2008 09:15 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Originally posted by Atlantis001

$

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post May 9th, 2008 05:10 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
High Priest
Restricted

Account Restricted

we are just dog all on a lead that what defines who we really are

Old Post May 9th, 2008 01:09 PM
High Priest is currently offline Click here to Send High Priest a Private Message Find more posts by High Priest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by King of Blades
extreme situations. Odd to think this way, but it's the moments that hit us so fast and hard, moments that don't give us a moment to breath let alone think; it is in these periods in our existence that our true colors shine.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 09:50 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by DigiMark007
BIG QUESTION

...no objective answer.

...as these things usually go.

If you believe in a soul and/or God, you might have a definitive answer for this. Even then it's an individual opinion. Otherwise, no, to answer your question, empirical results toward this is out of the question.

It's like trying to make a "greatness" rating for life, then saying you're an 87.5 on the greatness scale. Awesome to think about (don't think I haven't tried) but not practical in any objective way.

I'm sick of you beating me to everything stick out tongue

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post May 11th, 2008 04:40 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by chithappens
I'm sick of you beating me to everything stick out tongue

Which is why I'm an 87.5 on the greatness scale and you're a lowly 65.3

stick out tongue

Old Post May 13th, 2008 06:17 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote