KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Generation "I"—every person is unique

Generation "I"—every person is unique
Started by: svetlu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
svetlu

Generation "I"—every person is unique

In our generation—generation "I"—every person is unique. But the true art is knowing how to be unique
Back in the eighties, Douglas Coupland popularized the term “Generation X,” referring to the new generation. This quickly became a hot topic, and a pop culture formed around the notion, seeking to decipher the unique qualities of the new generation. Going beyond mere curiosity, interest in the new generation was fueled by giant corporations that endeavored to find the right marketing strategy for millions of Generation X youngsters.

Today, we present “Generation I”—a generation that is typically concerned with one thing—itself!

iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iLife, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb and iMovie all demonstrate that known Inc. has figured out the “I” trend of our generation, and more importantly, the way to market products to a generation that lives and breathes “I.” Apple hit the nail on the head by putting the consumer’s “I” at the center of its marketing strategy.

Taking a longer view, it’s easy to see that iPod and other “i-Gadgets” are but examples of a much more comprehensive process that’s taking place today. People are becoming obsessed with themselves, as evidenced by the huge popularity of daily reality shows. And the "I" trend doesn’t just dictate strategies for the mass media and giant corporations; it also appears in every other realm of life.

Why is this happening? Where does such an intense feeling of uniqueness, characteristic of our generation, come from? And is there a way for us to use it as a springboard for positive change?

Old Post May 17th, 2008 03:48 PM
svetlu is currently offline Click here to Send svetlu a Private Message Find more posts by svetlu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

shouldnt it be something like 'the iGeneration' or something?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 17th, 2008 03:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Generation "I"—every person is unique

quote: (post)
Originally posted by svetlu
In our generation—generation "I"—every person is unique. But the true art is knowing how to be unique
Back in the eighties, Douglas Coupland popularized the term “Generation X,” referring to the new generation. This quickly became a hot topic, and a pop culture formed around the notion, seeking to decipher the unique qualities of the new generation. Going beyond mere curiosity, interest in the new generation was fueled by giant corporations that endeavored to find the right marketing strategy for millions of Generation X youngsters.

Today, we present “Generation I”—a generation that is typically concerned with one thing—itself!

iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iLife, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb and iMovie all demonstrate that known Inc. has figured out the “I” trend of our generation, and more importantly, the way to market products to a generation that lives and breathes “I.” Apple hit the nail on the head by putting the consumer’s “I” at the center of its marketing strategy.

Taking a longer view, it’s easy to see that iPod and other “i-Gadgets” are but examples of a much more comprehensive process that’s taking place today. People are becoming obsessed with themselves, as evidenced by the huge popularity of daily reality shows. And the "I" trend doesn’t just dictate strategies for the mass media and giant corporations; it also appears in every other realm of life.

Why is this happening? Where does such an intense feeling of uniqueness, characteristic of our generation, come from? And is there a way for us to use it as a springboard for positive change?

Your examples would be better if they didn't come from one company.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 17th, 2008 04:22 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

I still don't see what is unique to the topic

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post May 18th, 2008 12:11 AM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

There are probably already topics on Generation Y/Millennials/Generation Me (there are enough names already I don't think "Generation I" is necessary; although iGen is quippy); their privilege, desire for instant gratification and (false) feeling of self-entitlement. Probably various sociology courses too.

Putting it most simply imo it's basically a result of kids growing up in relative economic prosperity and stability, no major conflicts that have seriously affected them and vastly superior communication abilities in an increasingly global society.

Last edited by xmarksthespot on May 18th, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Old Post May 18th, 2008 11:59 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Putting it most simply imo it's basically a result of kids growing up in relative economic prosperity and stability, no major conflicts that have seriously affected them and vastly superior communication abilities in an increasingly global society.

A good summation.

Though I always chuckle at appeals to the unique-ness of each individual. Taken literally, it's completely true, as we all have different genetic, sociological, and cultural makeup. But there's a psychotic number of people on the planet, and anyone in a civilized nation with any number of commercial enterprises inherits enough traits as to be strikingly similar to many others in mannerisms, tastes, intellect, etc.

As unique as I perceive myself to be, I could find thousands appreciably similar to myself as to negate the fallacy that I'm entirely unique or one of a kind. Even anti-establishment or counter-culture movements have so many adherents as to be their own form of conformity.

Take a look at how many works of music are copyrighted each year. The US patent office gives out hundreds of thousands each year...everything from catchy jingles to hour-long symphonies, and everything between. Now look at Mozart, whose competition among the educated elite in Vienna could fit into a large New York apartment block. One has to be further and further out on the bell curve these days just to be noticed, let alone famous, and the (likely) thousands of Mozart's we have today go largely unnoticed. This can easily apply to any endeavor, not just music.

Being unique shouldn't be the goal. Most will fail. Being happy should.

Old Post May 18th, 2008 10:31 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
svetlu

Originally posted by chithappens
I still don't see what is unique to the topic

May be this will explain you more:
Is there anything we can do to change our egoistic, destructive use of the quality of uniqueness? Baal HaSulam says that there is.

He explains that the Creator leads us to a crossroads and lets us choose which path to take. On the one hand, we can channel our quality of uniqueness towards giving and caring for others. By doing so, we use this quality the same way as the Creator, and thus eliminate the gap separating us from Him.

However, without even being aware of it, most of us choose the other alternative: using the quality of uniqueness for our own good. In other words, we desire to be greater than others, and by so doing, we increase the alienation between us. Baal HaSulam illustrates the severity of this situation with the following metaphor:

Our body is made of billions of cells, where each cell operates autonomously, realizing its own, unique purpose. Although the cells operate as individual units for “self-profit,” they are united by one common goal—to provide life and energy to the whole body. Each cell has its own self-interest, but it values the common goal even more—and that’s why the body stays alive.

However, as soon as one cell stops working for the sake of the whole body and begins working only for its own good, it starts a chain reaction called “cancer.” The first cancerous cell infects other cells with its “egoistic” tendency, causing a disintegration of the whole body.

And herein lies the problem with our modern society: The “self-interest” disease is spreading throughout humanity’s collective body, even as we speak.

Old Post May 20th, 2008 08:14 PM
svetlu is currently offline Click here to Send svetlu a Private Message Find more posts by svetlu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Our body is made of billions of cells, where each cell operates autonomously, realizing its own, unique purpose. Although the cells operate as individual units for “self-profit,” they are united by one common goal—to provide life and energy to the whole body. Each cell has its own self-interest, but it values the common goal even more—and that’s why the body stays alive.

I would argue this point

While the outcome of cellular activity is the living body, no single cell is aware of this. From a cellular perspective, each is interested in its own self replication. That this benefits the larger organism is merely coincidence compounded by billions of years of evolution.

Our body stays alive because of selfish activity of each cell, not because they are united by a common "goal". Cells do not have the necessary anatomy to process a goal.

Old Post May 20th, 2008 08:27 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

And herein lies the problem with our modern society: The “self-interest” disease is spreading throughout humanity’s collective body, even as we speak.

This is where I don't understand this being "unique." I didn't say I don't understand the concept.

1) Labeling our generation as "Generation I" is not a new concept and really nothing different from Generation X.

2) This is nothing new. It's not a modern thing. I get the concept. But this is nothing new to the experience of people (human or otherwise).

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post May 20th, 2008 09:01 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Raoul
shouldnt it be something like 'the iGeneration' or something?

More like iGen...

Old Post May 20th, 2008 10:22 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Re: Generation "I"—every person is unique

Are you talking about advertisement or philosophy ?

I am almost seeing a relation between iPods and uniquiness reading this.

Old Post May 20th, 2008 10:29 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

According to Ludwig Wittgenstein our use of "I" in a language sense is causes what we regard as most philosophical paradoxes.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 05:30 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
En Sabah Nur X

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
According to Ludwig Wittgenstein our use of "I" in a language sense is causes what we regard as most philosophical paradoxes.

Indeed, in the end all that were left were viruses, spambots, consumerist whores buying and buying for no reason at all. The viruses where here first and they will be here last, ads, unwanted ads all that remains is to promote products by using them.

"I" is the ultimate brand, for it defines you as an imaginary being, a self, a collection of ads, of ideas, a ship of dreams, a mind.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 09:31 PM
En Sabah Nur X is currently offline Click here to Send En Sabah Nur X a Private Message Find more posts by En Sabah Nur X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
En Sabah Nur X

Re: Re: Generation "I"—every person is unique

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Are you talking about advertisement or philosophy ?

I am almost seeing a relation between iPods and uniquiness reading this.

That's cause there is. The spam god|source and the philosophy god|source are one and the same thing.

I'm also a living breathing apple ad, called True Lane Iwakura, or a male ad for apple bytes.

If every thing is imaginary, in nature, than any thing is possible!

Last edited by En Sabah Nur X on Jun 19th, 2008 at 09:45 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 09:33 PM
En Sabah Nur X is currently offline Click here to Send En Sabah Nur X a Private Message Find more posts by En Sabah Nur X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
demon-lllama
Restricted

Account Restricted

"i" still don't see it.

Most of the hype is over dividing generation Y from X & Z.

It used to be that Echo Boom was 1985/6-1994. Now, it is 1988-1992, which does not make sense, because it puts the Olsen twins as only generation X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations

iGen is 1993-1999. It doesn't look fun to be born in 1985-1987 for some reason, which I was (86.)

I refuse to be called older than an Echo Boom!! I thought Echo Boom was the 1975-1985. The Beat/Hippie generation stands out as the coolest in most cases in my life. If you're born in Echo Boom or iGeneration, you wouldn't know what I mean.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2008 05:59 AM
demon-lllama is currently offline Click here to Send demon-lllama a Private Message Find more posts by demon-lllama Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
En Sabah Nur X

Originally posted by demon-lllama
"i" still don't see it.

Most of the hype is over dividing generation Y from X & Z.

It used to be that Echo Boom was 1985/6-1994. Now, it is 1988-1992, which does not make sense, because it puts the Olsen twins as only generation X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations

iGen is 1993-1999. It doesn't look fun to be born in 1985-1987 for some reason, which I was (86.)

I refuse to be called older than an Echo Boom!! I thought Echo Boom was the 1975-1985. The Beat/Hippie generation stands out as the coolest in most cases in my life. If you're born in Echo Boom or iGeneration, you wouldn't know what I mean.

Well generation I, igen, is the first to be able to grasp the nature of existence. Like gods with infinite computational capacity, photorealistic sims will be built... the nature of biological immortality will be unveiled, the nature of agi will be seen. This is the generation where people go from human to biologically immortal gods(in virtual reality mind you).

How many of you will live to see us hit the limit in terms of technology? The limits of molecular machine design will be reached within this century. The limits of the possible. It obviously will be an important rank, to have lived through the transition period, to be amidst the first.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2008 12:47 PM