KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Living or letting go.

Living or letting go.
Started by: Deja~vu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Living or letting go.

Let's say if you found out you had some fatal disease, would you go through radiation, chemotherapy and the like, or would you except that it is your time to go and deny treatment. Many people are afraid to die and would do anything to extend their lives. What about you all?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2008 01:15 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Living or letting go.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Let's say if you found out you had some fatal disease, would you go through radiation, chemotherapy and the like, or would you except that it is your time to go and deny treatment. Many people are afraid to die and would do anything to extend their lives. What about you all?

Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all.

But more seriously: if there was a cure (even a painful one) I'd go through with it, if not I'd rather die on something like my own terms than have to live constantly in fear that I would miss a treatment and die.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2008 02:15 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I have miles to go before I sleep.

Ergo: "To life! To life! L'chaim!..."

...though I'm sure I'd do plenty of moaning and crying if I had to go through painful treatment to stay the course.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:50 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
En Sabah Nur X

I'd let go of everything and live in fear, like a scientist, not knowing what is to come. Of course as a longevity scientist I would take massive doses of resveratrol which seems to tell the body to turn the negative entropy, life on steroids and take back a good chunk of the sands of time, not all or you would be ageless, but enough to make it a serious choice.

As for other means, I would imagine my nightmares to keep me alive, and yeah I would take just about every treatment available to stay alive. The idea of living without a body, might somehow in some twisted and perverted way be true, but it is not my personal style, I'm a realist here.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 09:07 AM
En Sabah Nur X is currently offline Click here to Send En Sabah Nur X a Private Message Find more posts by En Sabah Nur X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

I'd say f-ck it, my time to go.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 01:18 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

I'd go through the treatment. If treatment was available, that means it's an option, so how could I just say it's my time to go, and basically give up?

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 01:52 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

You'd be carved up like some holiday ham and who knows what else only to maybe live a few more years?

Why be afraid of leaving this body?

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 09:52 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

You'd be carved up like some holiday ham and who knows what else only to maybe live a few more years?

Why be afraid of leaving this body?

I thought we were talking about radiation and chemotherapy, I mean, that is what you originally said. Carved up like some holiday ham? Now, you didn't mention that. And yeah, just to live a few more years, yeah, I would.

I'm not afraid of leaving this body. I just appreciate living.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 10:15 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
svetlu

I think, I have to check all my debts, fix it and after that to go. And if i have any debts(financial or moral), I'd rather turn my feet to alternative medicine. But if I don't have debts, I will prefer to leave my body.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2008 06:03 PM
svetlu is currently offline Click here to Send svetlu a Private Message Find more posts by svetlu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Why the question of it all. Debts? Is that a means to an end?

And yes, the therapy would mean all types. If it would give you 6 months, a year? What would be your quality of life then. What would that do to your family. Are you thinking of them or you and why?

Would you leave them being THEIR care taker? Would you take them on?

OR would you let them go.

After you answer that...put yourself in those shoes.

Last edited by Deja~vu on Jun 19th, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 12:27 AM
Selphie
you teasing like you do

And yes, the therapy would mean all types. If it would give you 6 months, a year? What would be your quality of life then. What would that do to your family. Are you thinking of them or you and why?

Okay, during the therapy, which could last 6 months to a year, of course quality of life would be hard, very hard. But I'd find comfort in the thought, that there would be a possiblity that I could get better, rather than just giving up and thinking, "Oh, well I'm gonna die anyways."

What it would do to my family? Well, I don't have a family of my own, so the only thing that would affect anyone, would be my parents, and some relatives. And if I'm quite old when I'm affected with whatever sickness this may be, I obviously wouldn't have the older relatives around anymore, I'd be alone. So, I'd be thinking of myself, I guess you could say.

I don't want a family in the future, so it really wouldn't be an issue for me. But if my brother was still around, or maybe if he had children, I'd appreciate it if they helped me out spiritually, but otherwise, I wouldn't want to put them through any trouble, and continue a neutral relationship.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 12:45 AM
En Sabah Nur X

Re: Living or letting go.

I only die for my cause, so long as my cause lives I live on even in death. I would do anything,anything, to stay alive to fight for my cause, I will kill for my nation, I will live for my world, I will die by my word through the sword, for a universe of meaning is all that I see.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 09:12 PM
En Sabah Nur X is currently offline Click here to Send En Sabah Nur X a Private Message Find more posts by En Sabah Nur X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

i'd live as long as i have the posiblilty of a full recoverin and that i will have both working legs.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 09:36 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

If I have the possibility of surviving then I thats what I would want.

I didn't solved anything in my life to just.... let go.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 04:32 AM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Okay, lets say your quality of life would go down dramatically. Would you still do it? If it gained you only one year or two, would you? Would you put your family though it? Why do self injury to yourself for a year or two?

Old Post Jun 21st, 2008 01:39 AM
Selphie
you teasing like you do

It'd be a worse self injury if you didn't do anything about the illness.

Even if my life was shit, a life if a terrible thing to waste. Yeah, I'd do it, even if it was only for a year or two. You can experience a lot in that period of time.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2008 01:41 AM
svetlu

After you answer that...put yourself in those shoes.

I beleave in my power to selfhiling. I have a lot experiences of that. I beleave i'll have enough will to struggle for my health. And I beleave to alternative medicine. It is really helpfull and works magically.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2008 05:14 PM
svetlu is currently offline Click here to Send svetlu a Private Message Find more posts by svetlu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

It is not just about extending your life, but about the quality of life. If my life's quality would be sagnificantly infringed by therapy marely to extend my life to a year or so more, then I would chose to die as it comes.
In a state which would make me dependant on such things is not something I would personaly want to through.

If there is a cure, I would consider it of course, but again depending on the state it will leave me in.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 21st, 2008 05:16 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Okay, lets say your quality of life would go down dramatically. Would you still do it? If it gained you only one year or two, would you? Would you put your family though it? Why do self injury to yourself for a year or two?

No I wouldn't then. I would let go if that was the case, but you would have a lot of things to think about and to solve in your life. Things that you idn't finish and dreams you never lived.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2008 09:25 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
svetlu

hm... I think we calculate between pleasure and pain. How much pain can I take to have this much pleasure later? Pain of treatment for pleasure of life.

---
"All the changes are only in the perceivers." - Baruch Ashlag

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2008 07:42 PM