KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Artificial Intelligence

Artificial Intelligence
Started by: Grand_Moff_Gav

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grand-Moff-Gav

Artificial Intelligence

The question is this, can an Intelligence which is of artificial life be considered sentient and indeed equal with Organic Intelligence?

Should we ever develop "robots" who are say like Data from Star Trek or Andrew from The Bicentennial Man should they have access to the same human rights as mankind?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:35 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Artificial Intelligence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
The question is this, can an Intelligence which is of artificial life be considered sentient and indeed equal with Organic Intelligence?

Should we ever develop "robots" who are say like Data from Star Trek or Andrew from The Bicentennial Man should they have access to the same human rights as mankind?

Yes. We are the ones who determine what sentient is and is not, so it is better to give the benefit of doubt.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:42 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Umm, just to ask, is cloning also considered "artificial?"

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:43 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Sure. Why not?

If we did they should. I assume for safety's sake we'll stick with non-volitional AIs for a long time.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:45 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Artificial Intelligence

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
...If we did they should. I assume for safety's sake we'll stick with non-volitional AIs for a long time.

laughing I agree. No building Cylon's any time soon.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:47 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I don't think a robot could ever think for itself, it could just seem to. No, they are robots. They don't deserve the same rights as humans.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:48 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I don't think a robot could ever think for itself, it could just seem to. No, they are robots. They don't deserve the same rights as humans.

There's no major difference between a collection of cells thinking and a collection of transistors thinking.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 05:54 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

There's no major difference between a collection of cells thinking and a collection of transistors thinking.

Ok be honest, we both know that's know what the question is asking

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 06:13 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'd say yes.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 06:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
En Sabah Nur X

Humans' are molecular machines, functions of matter, which is a function of energy which is a function of information which is a function of bits, the universe is... reality and reality is an idea a category made by man to explain the world.

Molecular machines born of man, our children are as human as we are, their rights should be the same.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 06:46 PM
En Sabah Nur X is currently offline Click here to Send En Sabah Nur X a Private Message Find more posts by En Sabah Nur X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

But there really is, right? A collection of transistors thinking is really just a bunch of stuff programmed to execute protocols, it's not really thinking at all. Humans thinking is far more complex and connected to real emotions, physical feelings such as pain.

Sci Fi books and movies are great at making us believe machines can feel and think just like humans, but it's simply Sci Fi, that is all. It's not realistic and I don't think it ever will be.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 08:13 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Okay okay, SHOULD we ever deveop such "robots", then yes, I agree that they should have access to the same human rights as mankind. But I don't think it will ever happen.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 08:16 PM
Bardock42

But there really is, right? A collection of transistors thinking is really just a bunch of stuff programmed to execute protocols, it's not really thinking at all. Humans thinking is far more complex and connected to real emotions, physical feelings such as pain.

Sci Fi books and movies are great at making us believe machines can feel and think just like humans, but it's simply Sci Fi, that is all. It's not realistic and I don't think it ever will be.

Actually, that's more a philosophical question. But I think most scientists would say that humans are really just complex machines, far more complex than any robot we can build now (and probably for a long time), but really, it's not that different at all.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 08:52 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by Bardock42
Actually, that's more a philosophical question. But I think most scientists would say that humans are really just complex machines, far more complex than any robot we can build now (and probably for a long time), but really, it's not that different at all.

It is very different. Most scientists would say that humans are complex machines, far more complex than any robot we can build now (and probably for a long time).

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 09:17 PM
Bardock42

It is very different. Most scientists would say that humans are complex machines, far more complex than any robot we can build now (and probably for a long time).

But the thread starter asked, what if it wasn't that different anymore, and the sophistication of the robots approaches that of humans, what then?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 09:27 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me such machines should be able to reproduce. Meaning a female robot have to give birth. If it could do it...then I would say they can be equal or even given rights.

Until then...it remains no different than my Xbox 360.

(which btw- I happen to enjoy and sometimes...even love)

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 09:46 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
For me such machines should be able to reproduce. Meaning a female robot have to give birth. If it could do it...then I would say they can be equal or even given rights.

Until then...it remains no different than my Xbox 360.

(which btw- I happen to enjoy and sometimes...even love)

That's stupid.

Is the ability to reproduce essential to all humans then too? Should we use sterile people as slaves? I am pretty sure that the morals behind human rights are not based on the ability to **** and create offspring.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 09:49 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Bardock42
That's stupid.

Is the ability to reproduce essential to all humans then too? Should we use sterile people as slaves? I am pretty sure that the morals behind human rights are not based on the ability to **** and create offspring.

Species should reproduce...yes...what species do Robots belong to?

Oh, we should give them rights because they can MIMIC or COPY such things as human emotions?

Yeah, why should a machine have rights?

Answer that BEFORE you throw that bags of tricks.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 09:54 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Everything you think and feel (physically and emotionally) is simply programmed into how your brain is built. It would obviously take a very long time but absolutely nothing prevents a machine from feeling emotions the way we do.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 10:13 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Oh, we should give them rights because they can MIMIC or COPY such things as human emotions?

Yes, otherwise high function autistics would have to be denied human rights.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2008 10:15 PM