KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Limits

Limits
Started by: lord xyz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Limits

Does everything have a limit?

In theory, no, because numbers are continuous; but then the theory of infinity arises.

To put it another way, the universe is expanding, but if that's so, it must be expanding into something, which means there's a limit.

Or how about temperature, is there a point where something physically can't get hotter?

We assume all measurements are limitless, but really, they just go further up the line, and lines aren't continuous. Only cycles.

So, is everything limited, or is everything a continuous cycle?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:10 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lord xyz
Does everything have a limit?

In theory, no, because numbers are continuous; but then the theory of infinity arises.

To put it another way, the universe is expanding, but if that's so, it must be expanding into something, which means there's a limit.

Or how about temperature, is there a point where something physically can't get hotter?

We assume all measurements are limitless, but really, they just go further up the line, and lines aren't continuous. Only cycles.

So, is everything limited, or is everything a continuous cycle?
You are a moron.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:12 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice insight.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:14 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Only math contains things that don't have limits.

There is an absolute lowest temperature. According to physics the highest temperature possible in our universe is the temperature of the universe at the moment of it's beginning which is apparently 1.32*10^23 K.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:15 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

No need for that, Bardy.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:17 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Only math contains things that don't have limits.

There is an absolute lowest temperature. According to physics the highest temperature possible in our universe is the temperature of the universe at the moment of it's beginning which is apparently 1.32*10^23 K.
Forget the universe, is there an absolute everything?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:17 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav

Amount of alcohol you can have in your blood before you break the law if you attempt to drive in the United Kingdom?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:19 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Ignoring the bonds of reality . . . no.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:19 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

The is an absolute number of times you can pop a balloon without repairing it and blowing it up again...(I am being a dick I know...but HA!)

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:22 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Think of it like this, the universe is not the biggest thing. If it's a real thing then there are things greater than it by laws of probability.

So what's the biggest? Is there a biggest? Is there an everything?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:26 PM
Bardock42

How do you even define your "everything". What is the "absolute everything" you are thinking about?

Why must the universe be expanding into "something", and if it does expend into something why does that have to have a limit?

Are you talking about temperature in theory, or temperature as it is in our universe or temperature how it might be anywhere outside our universe?

It's all just very misinformed, blind guessing. Nothing you are talking about makes much sense or is particularly well thought out.

B-but sorry I called you a moron. no expression

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:28 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Bardock42
Why must the universe be expanding into "something", and if it does expend into something why does that have to have a limit?

While waiting for my doctor's appointment, I read a science article which mentioned a theory that the Universe is limitless and will forever be expanding.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:45 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

B-but sorry I called you a moron. no expression
You were being rude and unreasonable.

How can you not get that that was uncalled for?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:50 PM
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Would i be flamed if i said, Batman has no limits?

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:51 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
The is an absolute number of times you can pop a balloon without repairing it and blowing it up again...(I am being a dick I know...but HA!)

That depends entirely on which reality you're in.

Think of it like this, the universe is not the biggest thing. If it's a real thing then there are things greater than it by laws of probability.

So what's the biggest? Is there a biggest? Is there an everything?

On a scale of one to ten, how high are you right now?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:52 PM
Bardock42

You were being rude and unreasonable.

How can you not get that that was uncalled for?

I apologized, move on.

Still, your questions posed are juvenile at best. It's nothing particularly deep and some just plain nonsensical. Many of the things you want to talk about are ill-defined or absolutely abstract. Also, nice how you disregarded my points.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:52 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Mairuzu
Would i be flamed if i said, Batman has no limits?

Pre or Post COIE? Hell what happens to him after after FC and RIP are done? But you're probably right, he is the goddamned Batman afterall.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:54 PM
tsilamini

doesn't this depend entirely on the variable in question?

like, we can define scales with ends, thus limits exist.

hell, the concept of a limit is contingent to something having a variable that exists in a scale upon which a measurement can be made. All such scales are anthropic. So, yes, limits can exist, but only because we define them.

On a scale of one to ten, how high are you right now?

hey, that is prejudice against those of us who are high right now

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:00 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by inimalist

hey, that is prejudice against those of us who are high right now

That's a euphemism for what I said in my first post, I demand this man be punished for his misbehaviour.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:03 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

That's a euphemism for what I said in my first post, I demand this man be punished for his misbehaviour.

I asked a reasonable question in order to discern the reasoning for his statements.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:06 PM