KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Why do we have an urge to find the meaning of life?

Why do we have an urge to find the meaning of life?
Started by: lord xyz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is even necessary? For if we were created with meaning, surely we weren't made to know. Or is there meaning at all? Or is us finding meaning the by product of some psychological thing?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:02 AM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

uncertainty=cognitive dissonance

language + human capacity to think abstractly = questions with no immediate answer

cognitive dissonance + questions with no immediate answer = need for meaning

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:21 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist

language + human capacity to think abstractly = questions with no immediate answer

This = great answer.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 07:05 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not seeing urge or need in that equation.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 06:10 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

the brain acts to eliminate cognitive dissonance

because dissonance can be created by questions relating to existential concepts (why am I here, etc) and because those questions do not have readily available answers in the environment in which we live, the brain must act to reduce it.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 07:17 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ah.

Stupid brains.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 08:30 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by lord xyz
I'm not seeing urge or need in that equation.

3rd to last word.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 08:31 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
3rd to last word.
I was refering to the other side of that equation.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 11:15 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

the brain acts to eliminate cognitive dissonance

Can I ask why? Why is this something the brain does? Is there an evolutionary benefit to lack of cognitive dissonance?

Also, what specifically qualifies as cognitive dissonance?

Old Post Nov 26th, 2008 11:26 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Can I ask why? Why is this something the brain does? Is there an evolutionary benefit to lack of cognitive dissonance?

Also, what specifically qualifies as cognitive dissonance?

Any instance where a person may perceive or recognize an inconsistency in their thoughts/cognition. Like holding two contradictory ideas at the same time. The actual theory implies that people try to minimize dissonance by justifying their thoughts or ideas, or even changing them altogether.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 04:33 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

also, there is evidence that simply being in a situation that in ambiguous, or where you have little control, can cause a dissonance type state. The unknown, then, can work much like 2 opposing ideas.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2008 02:55 PM
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Re: Why do we have an urge to find the meaning of life?

It is even necessary? For if we were created with meaning, surely we weren't made to know. Or is there meaning at all? Or is us finding meaning the by product of some psychological thing?

I don't believe there is a 'defined' meaning to life, no. Everybody has their own 'meaning', if you catch my drift.

Why do people always pursue the knowledge of the 'ultimate question'? Why, to give themselves meaning, of course. We're alive, so we want to feel like we have a purpose- a true meaning in the grand scale of things. This is one of the basic human traits- self-glorification and self-importance. At least, this is the reason for asking 'what is the meaning of life' specifically.

I mean, really, you'll find it everywhere. Stuff like 'sanctity of life', and certain religions (Judaism- which I am supposedly a part of- for example) calling themselves 'God's chosen people'...

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 02:44 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Master Crimzon
and certain religions (Judaism- which I am supposedly a part of- for example) calling themselves 'God's chosen people'...

...to emphasize responsibility as a role model regarding ethical behavior, not privilege as some kind of favorite of God. Biblically speaking, God had a plan, he needed people to carry it out, so he figured what the heck, those guys in that Judean Valley don't seem particularly busy... "Psst. You with the sheep. C'mere..."

As for finding meaning: at the least, there are likely evolutionary reasons. Those better able to see patterns, understand figure-ground relationships and grasp contextual cues probably had a better chance of surviving and breeding than those who didn't.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 04:16 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Originally posted by Mindship
...to emphasize responsibility as a role model regarding ethical behavior, not privilege as some kind of favorite of God. Biblically speaking, God had a plan, he needed people to carry it out, so he figured what the heck, those guys in that Judean Valley don't seem particularly busy... "Psst. You with the sheep. C'mere..."

Umm... no. It doesn't quite work like that, and believe me, I've studied the Old Bible. God chose the Jewish people- originally Abraham- to continue his 'legacy' and believe in him. Therefore, the Jews were continuously noted to be god's 'favorites' and the 'chosen ones', of greater importance than the other religions.

Though, come to think about it, thinking that you are the religion specifically tasked with god's work- above all others- is certainly a form of self-glorification.

As for finding meaning: at the least, there are likely evolutionary reasons. Those better able to see patterns, understand figure-ground relationships and grasp contextual cues probably had a better chance of surviving and breeding than those who didn't.

Yes, that's true. I wasn't talking about mankind's lust for knowledge in general, just the reason why the need to figure out 'what is the meaning of life'. What you are describing is intelligence.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 06:14 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Umm... no. It doesn't quite work like that, and believe me, I've studied the Old Bible. God chose the Jewish people- originally Abraham- to continue his 'legacy' and believe in him.
But not because they were Jewish. There was a job to do, and someone had to be picked. They became 'favorites' once the responsibility was assigned.

However, you may indeed be more familiar with the Old Testament than I. I would appreciate it if you could please post the verse which clearly states that God already favored the Jews beforehand and that's why He chose them. It would be an eye-opener for me.

Though, come to think about it, thinking that you are the religion specifically tasked with god's work- above all others- is certainly a form of self-glorification.
There's no doubt that religion has been abused in this fashion. Even today, this "religionism" exists, eg, it is how many Jews do see themselves in relation to other faiths, never mind the death and destruction religionism in general has wrought throughout history. It's likely a main reason why many view religion in a negative light, eg, as a form of self-glorification.

Yes, that's true. I wasn't talking about mankind's lust for knowledge in general, just the reason why the need to figure out 'what is the meaning of life'. What you are describing is intelligence.
Understood. To be more specific then, I would still hold that seeking a meaning of life (which does require intelligence) must hold some survival advantage. Consider the Jewish people: it has been their very faith in God and His Plan (the Jewish Meaning of Life, if you will) that has sustained them through thousands of years of persecution.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 09:16 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

But not because they were Jewish. There was a job to do, and someone had to be picked. They became 'favorites' once the responsibility was assigned.

However, you may indeed be more familiar with the Old Testament than I. I would appreciate it if you could please post the verse which clearly states that God already favored the Jews beforehand and that's why He chose them. It would be an eye-opener for me.

Allow me to explain. First of all, I don't have an exact quote- my copy of the Bible is written in Hebrew, see. I could google it, but I don't have a load of time on the computer.

Basically, I'll grant you the basic concept; Abraham was, supposedly, given many promises by God, so long as he continued acting as an agent of his will and attempting to convert people in Judaism (although this was the only monotheistic religion at the time, so I don't know if we can use the phrase 'Judaism'). Although in the future, numerous different religions would emerge from the concept of a 'single god', the Jewish people believe that they are the 'true' people of God, and their faith is the right one.

This is clearly depicted by God's actions in the old bible, where he continuously commits acts oriented around the Jewish people and the Israelis, included displaying clear bias in their favor against other religions.

Do you follow me?

There's no doubt that religion has been abused in this fashion. Even today, this "religionism" exists, eg, it is how many Jews do see themselves in relation to other faiths, never mind the death and destruction religionism in general has wrought throughout history. It's likely a main reason why many view religion in a negative light, eg, as a form of self-glorification.

It is self-glorification. While there are oh-so-many other examples than the Judaism one, I'll continue to use it to substantiate my points

Judaism teaches that their religion is the 'true' religion, and that they are closest to God and are always in his favor. I don't know if 'Chosen' is explicitly mentioned, but it's certainly implied. This is indeed the glorification of one's own religion and one's own beliefs.

Religionism sucks, yeah. I don't believe in God, but my true problems lies with God's worshippers (although, then again, perhaps God is tied to it, in a sense).

Understood. To be more specific then, I would still hold that seeking a meaning of life (which does require intelligence) must hold some survival advantage. Consider the Jewish people: it has been their very faith in God and His Plan (the Jewish Meaning of Life, if you will) that has sustained them through thousands of years of persecution.

I've come across this argument before. Yes, it is inarguable that Jews were kept together via traditions and beliefs, to the point that- at the moment- they were eventually granted their 'promised' land, Israel. However, think about it for a moment- the Jews have undergone mass-prejudice, massacres, genocides, etc, from the Holocaust to the Inquisition. Even at the moment, things aren't looking too bright for us, that with our massive conflict with the Arabs, which is a result of the mixture of state and religion. I'm Israeli, I know this stuff.

If the Jews hadn't kept their faith, would things have been so bad? We would probably be members of different religions and/or atheists... but we would have avoided so many conflicts, so many wars, so many confrontations.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 10:47 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

We have urges??? confused

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 10:50 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Re: Re: Why do we have an urge to find the meaning of life?

edit

Last edited by Mindship on Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 11:37 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Re: Re: Why do we have an urge to find the meaning of life?

Basically, I'll grant you the basic concept; Abraham was, supposedly, given many promises by God, so long as he continued acting as an agent of his will and attempting to convert people in Judaism (although this was the only monotheistic religion at the time, so I don't know if we can use the phrase 'Judaism'). Although in the future, numerous different religions would emerge from the concept of a 'single god', the Jewish people believe that they are the 'true' people of God, and their faith is the right one.

This is clearly depicted by God's actions in the old bible, where he continuously commits acts oriented around the Jewish people and the Israelis, included displaying clear bias in their favor against other religions.

Judaism teaches that their religion is the 'true' religion, and that they are closest to God and are always in his favor. I don't know if 'Chosen' is explicitly mentioned, but it's certainly implied. This is indeed the glorification of one's own religion and one's own beliefs.

God's gonna protect his home team, absolutely (otherwise why pick them in the first place? why have a Bible?). But is that because the Jews were, somehow, already "special," or did the Jews become special because they became God's home team?

Perhaps I take too much to heart how Rabbi Hillel put it, about the essence of Judaism: "What you don't like, don't do to others. Everything else is commentary." This for me, with any 'true faith,' is a key difference between being religious and being religionistic.

I've come across this argument before. Yes, it is inarguable that Jews were kept together via traditions and beliefs, to the point that- at the moment- they were eventually granted their 'promised' land, Israel. However, think about it for a moment- the Jews have undergone mass-prejudice, massacres, genocides, etc, from the Holocaust to the Inquisition. Even at the moment, things aren't looking too bright for us, that with our massive conflict with the Arabs, which is a result of the mixture of state and religion.

To put it broadly: "If there's such a loving God, why is there so much suffering in the world?" Always a good conversation starter, that.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2008 11:43 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav

You know when your looking for something and you have a feeling that you saw it maybe only a few days before but now you can't find it no matter where you look?

That's what humanity is thinking when it comes to these questions...

Old Post Dec 1st, 2008 02:59 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote