KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is Lying Immoral (Sinful, Illegal)?

Is Lying Immoral (Sinful, Illegal)?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coberst

I was raised in a Catholic family and went to Catholic schools and was taught by nuns that lying was a sin. To me and my fellow Catholic kids lying was the most serious sin we could imagine. We were taught that we had to “examine our conscience” before confession and to tell the priest of our sins in the confessional.

How does a kid tell the difference between a “white lie” and a “sin lie” or any of the other forms of “lies” that we saw adults indulge in? Surly Mom and Dad did not lie! It was all a great puzzlement!

The nuns taught us all about moral concepts; of course, they did not use such big words. I have later learned that the nuns taught us in accordance with a classical, also called objectivist, theory of categorical structure.

“According to the classical or objectivist theory of categorical structure, there must be a set of necessary and sufficient conditions the possession of which alone makes a speech act a lie…As a Moral Law theorist and an absolutist, Alan Donagan defines the essential features of a lie as “any free linguistic utterance expressing something contrary to the speaker’s mind”.”

Linda Coleman and Paul Kay have discovered facts that indicate that “the category of lie exhibits prototype effects; that is, there are certain central instances of speech acts that speakers easily and noncontroversial recognize as lies.”

What are these prototype effects that Coleman and Kay speak of?

Lie is a concept that displays a core structure surrounded by a “fuzzy” penumbra (fringe) of less clear-cut cases about which the speaker may be justifiably unsure as to their moral objectionability: such a penumbra might contain such things as mistakes, jokes, exaggerations, white lies, social lies, and over simplifications.

Coleman and Kay found that these core cases that everyone could easily agree upon as being lies, i.e. those prototypical cases of clear-cut lies, fulfilled all three of the following conditions: 1) the speaker is confident that the statement is erroneous, 2) the speaker is intent upon deceiving the listener, and 3) the statement is in fact erroneous.

The less prototypical instances of lying fulfilled one or two conditions but not all three. Furthermore, tests were run and it was discovered that subjects typically rated the conditions in order of “importance”: 1) being most important and 3) being the least important. Subjects seemed to agree on the relative weights given to the individual elements.

We see here that lie does not follow the classical objectivist strict categorization. A fixed set of essential conditions do not exist and there is considerable internal structure to the concept that are of a great deal of importance in determining whether a statement qualifies as a lie or not.

Quotes from Moral Imagination by Mark Johnson

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 11:10 AM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

All lies are sinful.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 03:34 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
All lies are sinful.

What if your lie saves people's lives. For example: the lie that the allies told to trick the Germans into believing that the invasion of Normandy in WWII would happen further north.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 08:04 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What if your lie saves people's lives. For example: the lie that the allies told to trick the Germans into believing that the invasion of Normandy in WWII would happen further north.

They didn't lie, they let the Germans draw their own conclusions.

Originally posted by coberst

Well it's certainly not illegal, except in certain circumstances.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 08:59 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coberst

The purpose of this OP was to compare the nature of categorization in traditional objectivist thinking and the thinking that is recognized by new cognitive science theories.

Traditional objectivist, one might call it positivist, thinking considers that the world is made up of things that fit neatly and completely within containers and that these categories express that which is necessary and sufficient for any object that fits into that category.

SGCS (Second Generation Cognitive Science) has developed revolutionary new theories about the functioning of the mind. SGCS informs us that in many cases categories do not fit neatly into containers. Lying is one such category fits sloppily within containers. There exists fuzzy overlap and difficult things that must be considered.

All this is to say that if SGCS is correct then we are all very far off base when we think of categories as always fitting neatly within containers.

One has to read the OP and think about it a bit in order to get the idea. The idea is very important. Reading is fundamental.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 10:03 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
They didn't lie, they let the Germans draw their own conclusions.

No, they actively lied. They took a dead bum off the streets of London, made up an identity, and dumped him off a sub with papers that lied. They then sent a women to lie about being the mans lover, and she morned at the grave. They then set up a fake army and put Patton in charge of it. Then the president of the US got on the radio and lied to the people of the US giving indications that an invasion was being planed for the north of Europe.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 10:33 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Yes they DID lie.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 10:37 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coberst

We can comprehend only what we are prepared to comprehend.

New social theories move very slowly into the culture because they are seldom taught in our schools and colleges unless they help us get a good job.

The only way that people can prepare them self to comprehend the world and the self is to learn whatever new theories might be available. All this requires curiosity, concentration, and caring.

I try to introduce new ideas in the hope that the reader will be influenced sufficiently to go to the books and learn what is necessary to become sufficiently sophisticated intellectually so as to comprehend our ever changing world.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 11:14 AM
tsilamini

Originally posted by coberst
I try to introduce new ideas in the hope that the reader will be influenced sufficiently to go to the books and learn what is necessary to become sufficiently sophisticated intellectually so as to comprehend our ever changing world.

well, aren't you the good samaritan
'
if only we could all be enlightened like you! Hell, you didn't even need a lotus tree to sit under.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 02:50 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

It could be said that all lies are sinful, but sometimes not lying is moreso.

Although personally I just straight-up don't think its intrinsically sinful/evil to lie.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 05:19 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Still sinful.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 07:15 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Still sinful.

"they'll always tell you how much good you can do with dirty money"

- Daniel Berrigan

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 09:22 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Still sinful.

Would you like to be speaking German and not being allowed to be a Christian? That sin made your life possible.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 09:24 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav

Would you like to be speaking German and not being allowed to be a Christian? That sin made your life possible.

Still sinful.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 09:30 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Still sinful.

WOW! you are calling good sinful. I'm glad I'm a Buddhist.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 10:00 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I assume he also believes it's a considerably lesser sin than letting the Nazis win.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 10:03 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I assume he also believes it's a considerably lesser sin than letting the Nazis win.

Indeed, a lie is a sinful no matter what...however it is sometimes the lesser of two evils.

Why? Because being a Buddhist allows you to change your moral understanding of everything based on the drop of a hat, thus you have no real moral credibility...

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 10:13 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Wait, wait, I'm sinful too! Don't leave me out. big grin

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 10:16 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Indeed, a lie is a sinful no matter what...however it is sometimes the lesser of two evils.

Why? Because being a Buddhist allows you to change your moral understanding of everything based on the drop of a hat, thus you have no real moral credibility...

No, being a Buddhist frees me from delusions like that one you are suffering from. Good and evil are not fixed, they are relative.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 10:42 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav

No, being a Buddhist frees me from delusions like that one you are suffering from. Good and evil are not fixed, they are relative.

No they are not, that is the delusion that leads to the greatest of suffering and evil.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2009 11:08 PM