KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Can we compare physics and psychology?

Can we compare physics and psychology?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coberst

Libido is an energy source—Heat is an energy source—there is potential and kinetic energy

Emotion aka instinct is an energy source—

Narcissism is a force—gravity is a force—electromagnetism is a force—within the atom there are the strong and weak forces—there are four physical forces within nature. Narcissism is a force that displays itself in--self-absorption—self-love—sense of immortality—self-esteem—cosmic significance—self-importance—feeds on symbols, on abstract ideas of my own worth

Guilt is a feeling caused by outside resistance

Feeling—the mental experience of an emotion after the body has reacted to the emotion

Neurosis is the control of anxiety by restricting experience—the humanization process is neurosis in action

Anxiety is a feeling, the penalty for becoming human, i.e. for becoming self-conscious; it is not based on instinct but is based upon individual sense of helplessness.

Ego controls responses by delaying action

Hero—the world is a stage for heroism—our main task on this earth—man’s natural yearning for organismic activity, the pleasure of incorporation and expansion, fed limitlessly in the domain of symbols—we compare one another symbolically—we are ignorant of what we want and need, we disguise it in consumption as our badges—desire to be hero is natural and to admit it is healthy—need to make me, man, nation, etc, meaningful—our need for freedom is our need to be a hero—it becomes a blind-drivenness that burns us up—we must feel that what we do is heroic—crises is when youth does not feel heroic, we have a crisis of heroism—religion is no longer a stage for heroism—heroics is a central theme of human action

Culture is a symbolic action system for heroism—to give death its due is perhaps a step back that will permit a step forward—death is reality, when we repress it what happens?—

This is how our brain works. We think with the aid of past experiences. We use linguistic metaphors to give others a direction for understanding. Our brain uses conceptual metaphors this same way; automatically using conceptual metaphors. LIFE IS A JOURNEY. Automatically our brain “copies” what we already know about journeys that help us to better comprehend the task of living.

Abstract ideas are largely metaphorical.

An infant is born and when embraced for the first time by its mother the infant experiences the sensation of warmth. In succeeding experiences the warmth is felt along with other sensations.

Empirical data verifies that there often happens a conflation of this sensation experience together with the development of a subjective (abstract) concept we can call affection. With each similar experience the infant fortifies both the sensation experience and the affection experience and a little later this conflation aspect ends and the child has these two concepts in different mental spaces.

This conflation leads us to readily recognize the metaphor ‘affection is warmth’.

Cognitive science uses metaphor in the standard usage as we are all accustomed to but it also uses a new concept that you are unfamiliar with unless you have been reading this book. This new concept is called ‘conceptual metaphor’. Conceptual metaphor is the heart of this new cognitive science and represents what will be in my opinion the new paradigm of cognitive science.

In my example I speak of two separate mental spaces; one being the experience of being held and the other is the subjective experience of affection. The theory behind the ‘conceptual metaphor’ is that the structure of the sense experience can and is often automatically without conscious intention mapped into a new mental space.

The experience structure can be mapped into a new mental space and thereby becomes part of the structure of that new mental space. In this fashion these conceptual metaphors can act somewhat like atoms that join together to make a molecule.

SGCS (Second Generation Cognitive Science) has developed new and revolutionary theories regarding how cognition works. One way that it works is through metaphor, not just linguistic but also through conceptual metaphor. You ought to give it a study. You might be surprised how many things will become clearer.

I am a retired engineer; that is why I think using physics as an aid in comprehending the world I live in.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2009 01:51 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Very interesting how things are all energy and causes a "cause and effect."

This is very deep, but I enjoy it. I understand the metaphor thing.

Please keep posting.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2009 07:10 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Very interesting how things are all energy and causes a "cause and effect."

This is very deep, but I enjoy it. I understand the metaphor thing.

Please keep posting.

i agree

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:12 AM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:22 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit.

Oh come on we love you too

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:25 AM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

lol another attempt to make neuroscience a mystical art

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:32 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Originally posted by Omega Vision
lol another attempt to make neuroscience a mystical art

did I ever tell you that I like reading ur comments?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:39 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by alltoomany
did I ever tell you that I like reading ur comments?

Did I ever tell you I find you sexy? embarrasment

Edit: Aww you're actually a chick.

I was going for comedic ho-yay.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:39 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Did I ever tell you I find you sexy? embarrasment

Edit: Aww you're actually a chick.

I was going for comedic ho-yay.

thank you? what is a ho yay?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:45 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by alltoomany
thank you? what is a ho yay?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HoYay

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:45 AM
tsilamini

this is some weird bastardization of Freud, at best.... which is saying little to begin with

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:14 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by inimalist
this is some weird bastardization of Freud, at best.... which is saying little to begin with

Less incest.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:15 AM
tsilamini

also, to point out, I've never met a cognitive scientist who talks about "second generation cognitive science", that seems like some word salad

Less incest.

moar coke

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:21 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

also, to point out, I've never met a cognitive scientist who talks about "second generation cognitive science", that seems like some word salad

Really?

It's not known by most but I was aware of the label and I am a layman to the "craft".

Here's an example of it being used:

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/en/aps/200800400012/1306.htm

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:27 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by dadudemon
Really?

It's not known by most but I was aware of the label and I am a layman to the "craft".

Here's an example of it being used:

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/en/aps/200800400012/1306.htm

no, it seems almost entirely insignificant in all cognitive psych I've taken or read

possibly because of the neurological "revolution" [sic: the emphasis on "revolutions" in psychology is a little silly anyways], but ya, never heard of it from anyone other than coberst

EDIT: LOL for realz, it looks like, from that abstract, SGCS is essentially some attempt to keep dualism in psychology... which is silly and almost psudoscience to begin with. sure it was published, but people publish on quantum consciousness, and that is total hogwash too

EDIT2: not to nit-pick, but Acta Psychologica isn't really known as the leading edge of the field, and this is an article that was published in their specifically Chinese journal...

EDIT3: the author's name returns 6 results on pub med, none of them are papers published by the author. I have more articles on pub med than this individual

Last edited by tsilamini on Nov 22nd, 2011 at 02:42 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:30 AM
dadudemon

no, it seems almost entirely insignificant in all cognitive psych I've taken or read

possibly because of the neurological "revolution" [sic: the emphasis on "revolutions" in psychology is a little silly anyways], but ya, never heard of it from anyone other than coberst

EDIT: LOL for realz, it looks like, from that abstract, SGCS is essentially some attempt to keep dualism in psychology... which is silly and almost psudoscience to begin with. sure it was published, but people publish on quantum consciousness, and that is total hogwash too

EDIT2: not to nit-pick, but Acta Psychologica isn't really known as the leading edge of the field, and this is an article that was published in their specifically Chinese journal...

EDIT3: the author's name returns 6 results on pub med, none of them are papers published by the author. I have more articles on pub med than this individual

Bro, you mad and jealous? smile

The phrase exists in the real world. That's all I wanted to point out.

And, I know you hate quantum physics being mixed up with psychology. Neuroscience will eventually completely subsume psychology. I'm looking forward to it.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:50 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Bro, you mad and jealous? smile

The phrase exists in the real world. That's all I wanted to point out.

well, fair enough. I'm just saying, for as much as it exists in the real world, it seems entirely ignored by cognitive scientists

Jealous? I'm a grad student and I'm kicking that guys ass! I have 2 citations now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

And, I know you hate quantum physics being mixed up with psychology.

I'd have no problem with it if there was even the smallest shred of evidence for it or if there was anything that was explained better by applying to quantum phenomenon.

I'm sure I've told you about seeing physicists talk and try to define things that are obviously psychological in terms of bizarre theoretical physics.

Neuroscience will eventually completely subsume psychology. I'm looking forward to it.

maybe, it depends how you define "neuroscience". There are some things that are going to require a "neural systems" type view, and whether you consider that strict neuroscience or a new subject focused on "emergent" type phenomenon based on patterns of distributed neural firing. I'm not so keen on these "genres" of science, as I'm taking a psych of control course right now, and the prof keeps talking about social cognitive neuroscience as if that is something new rather than just applying knowledge from people with different research focus.

I hardly even differentiate between psych and neuro. At this point, I think the only relevant distinction is research and applied.

Last edited by tsilamini on Nov 22nd, 2011 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 02:55 AM
dadudemon

well, fair enough. I'm just saying, for as much as it exists in the real world, it seems entirely ignored by cognitive scientists

Personally, I don't put weight on such phrases. However, in technology, your "nomenclature" is supposed to be "self-documenting". That may have been what they are going for. But, in English writing, having too many words for calling something...something...is considered "bad form." That actually has a name and it is frowned upon. Scientists don't give no **cks about proper English writing. big grin

Jealous? I'm a grad student and I'm kicking that guys ass! I have 2 citations now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Yup...you're mad bro. big grin

I'd have no problem with it if there was even the smallest shred of evidence for it or if there was anything that was explained better by applying to quantum phenomenon.

Know that, at this point, you'll be talking over my head. I am aware of the superficial machinations of the phenomena (how they are proposed) but I do not know exactly how it works (at least how they propose it works).

I'm sure I've told you about seeing physicists talk and try to define things that are obviously psychological in terms of bizarre theoretical physics.

Yes, and that stuff makes "u mad bro".

maybe, it depends how you define "neuroscience". There are some things that are going to require a "neural systems" type view, and whether you consider that strict neuroscience or a new subject focused on "emergent" type phenomenon based on patterns of distributed neural firing. I'm not so keen on these "genres" of science, as I'm taking a psych of control course right now, and the prof keeps talking about social cognitive neuroscience as if that is something new rather than just applying knowledge from people with different research focus.

I hardly even differentiate between psych and neuro. At this point, I think the only relevant distinction is research and applied.

I think that our future psychologists and psychiatrists will be neuroscientists, first and foremost. Instead of a sit down session where you talk about it...we'll just interface with dem shits and know wtf is up.

Do you think that if (rather, when) we can do information injection and retrieval at the neuronic level, we will truly be able to cure someone of an environmentally caused mental illness (i.e. ptsd). It seems to be the logical conclusion. We really will be able to "cure" someone of a mental illness. What about different types of schizophrenia? I sure hope so. My grandchildren had better be able to take advantage of such treatments.

WTF are you doing on KMC? You need to be researching this shit, now!!!! mad I want cures, damnit!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 03:11 AM
tsilamini

Yup...you're mad bro. big grin

about quantum consciousness, yes

otherwise I'm the shit

Do you think that if (rather, when) we can do information injection and retrieval at the neuronic level, we will truly be able to cure someone of an environmentally caused mental illness (i.e. ptsd). It seems to be the logical conclusion. We really will be able to "cure" someone of a mental illness. What about different types of schizophrenia? I sure hope so. My grandchildren had better be able to take advantage of such treatments.

in a far future that I can't comprehend, maybe

the problem now is that the brain doesn't work like a computer hard drive where there is just space to put memories and experiences, but its actual structure is built in different ways based on our experiences. Its not like someone with ptsd has a "corrupt file" in their memory, its that they have physically different neuronal connections that cause this, and to determine which specific connections are responsible for different experiences and the ability to change them seems almost like science fiction at this point

however, you might want to look up DTI (diffusion tensor imaging) that can use an MRI to image neuronal connections between various brain regions. We can't see which are active at this point, but it allows the sort of anatomical research that was only possible during autopsy previously. I remember being astounded, like literally mouth open, when I got to see it at work. To see the connections between active brain areas and other regions on an fMRI just totally blew me away. I'm skeptical of this stuff by nature, but some major jump in this technology may provide exactly what you are saying.

WTF are you doing on KMC? You need to be researching this shit, now!!!! mad I want cures, damnit!

cures? not my field, bro. I'd be very happy if none of my research ever helped people. I care about mechanisms, not about what helps people.

lol, actually, collected some good data for the first time today, after 3 months of just intense problems with my equipment. I think I've actually invented a new filtering method in my data analysis... so that is cool... otherwise, ya, I'm for sure going to get a publication off the stuff I'm doing now, and it is REALLY interesting for the field, and the prof I'm working for is happy to let me run with my crazy ideas

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 03:23 AM
dadudemon

in a far future that I can't comprehend, maybe

the problem now is that the brain doesn't work like a computer hard drive where there is just space to put memories and experiences, but its actual structure is built in different ways based on our experiences. Its not like someone with ptsd has a "corrupt file" in their memory, its that they have physically different neuronal connections that cause this, and to determine which specific connections are responsible for different experiences and the ability to change them seems almost like science fiction at this point

I am aware of the neuronic groupings and synapse. I think I mentioned this in the other thread...but...basically, you'd target the group of neurons associated with that memory. We'd have to greatly expand our knowledge of how these groups interact with each other but we could relocate the memory to a grouping that is not accessed by the subconscious from stimuli. But, like I pointed out a while back, neuro-plasticity may make this new location accessible to processes...because it would still be accessible. So, like I pointed out to someone else not on KMC, we would argue the ethics of removing the memories entirely or placing them in "virtual space" to avoid the ethics. Are not the memories who we are? Would we just go back, over and over, and get the memories moved to a location that is not longer accessible? Or am I over-estimating neuro-plasticity? (surely there's a way you can associate these synapses in a way that makes it inaccessible to the fight or flight response but still accessible as a memory?) That would require a physical manipulation....or would it? If you can control the information actually stored (if we can figure that out) then we could just simply find a group of associated neurons that fit the bill...without having to physically manipulate axons. We could also find an alternative configuration the nets the same results or at least gives us the desired "setup".

however, you might want to look up DTI (diffusion tensor imaging) that can use an MRI to image neuronal connections between various brain regions. We can't see which are active at this point, but it allows the sort of anatomical research that was only possible during autopsy previously. I remember being astounded, like literally mouth open, when I got to see it at work. To see the connections between active brain areas and other regions on an fMRI just totally blew me away. I'm skeptical of this stuff by nature, but some major jump in this technology may provide exactly what you are saying.

I was aware of DTI: it is the "baby" step of how we get to reading and fitting memories/desired information in the places we want. It would require the scanning of an recognition of the neurons and axon connection to such a point that it grossly outpaces current computing technology: it still takes a large amount of time to pattern match finger prints to a database of millions..much less pattern much perfectly to a specific pattern/grouping to create a specific ensemble match. CSI is full of shit, basically....our computers are not fast enough to pattern match to anything useful on the "trillions of synapses" scale.

cures? not my field, bro. I'd be very happy if none of my research ever helped people. I care about mechanisms, not about what helps people.

Your discoveries on how shit works may lead to cures. You're part of the system of cures!

lol, actually, collected some good data for the first time today, after 3 months of just intense problems with my equipment. I think I've actually invented a new filtering method in my data analysis... so that is cool... otherwise, ya, I'm for sure going to get a publication off the stuff I'm doing now, and it is REALLY interesting for the field, and the prof I'm working for is happy to let me run with my crazy ideas

Well...

1. That's awesome that you're a free agent. Keep in mind that if you make a marvelous breakthrough that makes you millions, I knew you and supported your work BEFORE the riches. Obviously, support, in this regard, is acting as a cheerleader. no expression

2. Finding an open-minded project lead/boss/lead researcher is difficult to find, these days. You're lucky. They have their own ideas, many times. For instance, Hawking ran into trouble with his research on blackholes and his "boss" said, "Dude, this is shit science. It will never go anywhere." I bet hawking laughed about that...while droollin. sad

Last edited by dadudemon on Nov 22nd, 2011 at 03:45 AM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 03:41 AM