KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Who can say, without a doubt, that I am not a dream?

Who can say, without a doubt, that I am not a dream?
Started by: allofyousuckkk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

Who can say, without a doubt, that I am not a dream?

We dream some really weird things, but how do I know that my life isn't one giant dream, thought up by a comatose patient?

and in turn,

that all our dreams aren't a reality, somewhere.

or if I were a dream right now, would I be considered reality?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 04:45 AM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

There's also the idea that we are 7 dimensional beings, being projected by a "source" onto a 4 dimensional existence...just the same as we cast shadows...so does this other "source" and we are the effect of this "source" casting a shadow through four dimensions from this 7 dimensional "source".

Weird, I know. It's possible.

It's like The Matrix, on steroids.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 04:53 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Yeah, some people use drugs.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 05:02 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

and how

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 05:53 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LDHZenkai
Evergreen Oldboy

You might very well be a dream. Which leads to my philosophy of enjoying life. No need to worry about anything. Why you ask? Because either it's not real and just an illusion....or it's real and you're going to die. Enjoy it while you can.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 06:02 AM
LDHZenkai is currently offline Click here to Send LDHZenkai a Private Message Find more posts by LDHZenkai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Who can say, without a doubt, that I am not a dream?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
We dream some really weird things, but how do I know that my life isn't one giant dream, thought up by a comatose patient?

and in turn,

Because when you are in a dream, if you say am I in a dream, you know you are in a dream.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 06:05 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Who can say, without a doubt, that I am not a dream?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Because when you are in a dream, if you say am I in a dream, you know you are in a dream.

Sometimes.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 06:15 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream..."
With regard to religion/mysticism, the Dream metaphor is thousands of years old, though I don't think anyone's ever called God comatose before...yet that would explain a lot. You may've hit on something there. wink

and in turn,

Modern empirical science would define that "somewhere" as your brain.

I find the common distinction of "dreams" on the one hand and "reality" on the other misleading. Dreams are real, just not the same kind of reality as what you experience when awake. Next time you're dreaming, pay attention. Note colors, shadows, movement; listen to when someone is speaking to you; note how something feels if you grasp an object and lift it.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2009 12:12 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

I had a dream that felt more real then my real life. I don't do drugs and I'm not trying to promote some religion or philosophy by saying this....but there is really no way of knowing whether you are in a dream.

So for example, Shaky said that "when you are in a dream, if you say am I in a dream, you know you are in a dream." I would like to add that if you say you are in real life, then you know you are in real life. You can make yourself believe you are truly living or that you are dreaming, and it calls into question what dreaming and living are anyway. Is there even a difference?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:40 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

and in turn,

Where do you draw the line between dream and reality?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 11:32 AM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinkin
Restricted

Account Restricted

and in turn,

I ask my mum shit like this to freak her out, always funny.

If I was a dream it would be better for me.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 12:22 PM
Kinkin is currently offline Click here to Send Kinkin a Private Message Find more posts by Kinkin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

sudo tell is this a dream?

no expression

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 12:35 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinkin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not always, I said that in a dream once, felt so real, woke up thought it happened. I had to double check it was real.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 01:12 PM
Kinkin is currently offline Click here to Send Kinkin a Private Message Find more posts by Kinkin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Kinkin
Not always, I said that in a dream once, felt so real, woke up thought it happened. I had to double check it was real.
Beware the False Awakening. confused wink

http://psychology.suite101.com/arti...alse_awakenings

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 03:57 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

There's a guy in Sandman who get's cursed to keep having false awakenings every few seconds for the rest of his life.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 05:04 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There's a guy in Sandman who get's cursed to keep having false awakenings every few seconds for the rest of his life.
You mean Morpheus? I never read Sandman, but I just googled it to get an idea...and gave myself a V8 slap for missing out.

In any event, it begs the question: if you suspect you're dreaming, but can't wake up, how do you know if you are dreaming?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 06:34 PM
Bardock42

No. Morpheus is the guy that does the cursing. Morpheus is the name of "Dream of the Endless", which is the Sandman (i.e Master of Dreams) the title refers to. He curses a guy who imprisioned him for years with having constant nightmares he awakes of just to find that he is in another nightmare. Had it kinda coming though. Good comic either way, should check it out.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:00 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Mindship
You mean Morpheus? I never read Sandman, but I just googled it to get an idea...and gave myself a V8 slap for missing out.

Well Morpheus was the one doing the cursing. It's a pretty awful punishment.

Probably my favorite take on dream vs reality is probably an episode of Stargate SG-1 where Teal'c keeps switching between a hallucination (complete with all the classic cliches) and what the viewer knows is reality. In the end he finds out that both worlds are hallucinations, though one does happen to be based more in reality.

Originally posted by Mindship
In any event, it begs the question: if you suspect you're dreaming, but can't wake up, how do you know if you are dreaming?

I usually have a sense of immobility when I'm dreaming but that's not really sufficient except that it produces the feeling of "this isn't real" that makes anything that happens disturbing no matter what the content might be.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 07:00 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well Morpheus was the one doing the cursing. It's a pretty awful punishment.

Probably my favorite take on dream vs reality is probably an episode of Stargate SG-1 where Teal'c keeps switching between a hallucination (complete with all the classic cliches) and what the viewer knows is reality. In the end he finds out that both worlds are hallucinations, though one does happen to be based more in reality.

I usually have a sense of immobility when I'm dreaming but that's not really sufficient except that it produces the feeling of "this isn't real" that makes anything that happens disturbing no matter what the content might be.

The feeling that something isn't right.

I don't have any particular triggers, but generally, the more lucid I am, the better I can reference the waking world. But this isn't sufficient either, because everything about me is still in the dream, everything I do, think and remember. The only test, really, is to wake up.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2009 08:03 PM
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Originally posted by dadudemon
There's also the idea that we are 7 dimensional beings, being projected by a "source" onto a 4 dimensional existence...just the same as we cast shadows...so does this other "source" and we are the effect of this "source" casting a shadow through four dimensions from this 7 dimensional "source".

Weird, I know. It's possible.

It's like The Matrix, on steroids.

Damn dude.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Apr 15th, 2009 01:40 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote