KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the aesthetic goal of plastic art?

What is the aesthetic goal of plastic art?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coberst

Quickies from Wiki:
“Plastic arts are those visual arts that involve the use of materials that can be molded or modulated in some way, often in three dimensions. Examples are clay, paint and plaster.”
Aesthetics is commonly known as the study of sensory values. More broadly, scholars in the field define aesthetics as "critical reflection on art, culture and nature”.

The art historian is led to conclude that primitive humanity was impressed with the theosophical mystical insight view of reality, i.e. that underlying visible nature there must be a superior driving force; they imagined this force must have a human like form since they could not imagine a form any greater than the human form. This human world view moved from infinite polytheism to anthropological polytheism to present day anthropological monotheism.

“Whereas infinite polytheism presupposed a corresponding number of autonomous forces underlying the diverse phenomena of nature reformed polytheism perceived numerous natural phenomena as embodiments of one and the same power. Monotheism brought this refinement process to its culmination by establishing a single force as the original agent of all phenomena.”

How did antique wo/man approach an art form in which they considered that nature revealed “to the human eye only those aspects that are essential, random, and transitory, then art must create for them the essential, the meaningful, and the eternal parts”?

Riegl informs me that “the human hand fashions works from lifeless matter according to the same formal principles as nature does”. All human art production is at its core “nothing other than a contest with nature…The history of art is the history of the creative human being’s victories as he competes with nature.”

The human urge to create visual art is not the desire to imitate nature but it is a desire to compete with and to expose the essential aspects of nature. “Behind every work of art, then, we must presuppose the presence of a work of nature (or several such) with which the work of art is designed to compete.” Art is the means to accomplish the primary aesthetic goal of competing with nature while satisfying the inner urge to comprehend nature.

Art is meant to reveal the “essential, the meaningful, the eternal parts” of nature.
In doing so wo/man judged that “only the perfect is entitled to exist in art”. Since in nature only the strongest prevailed so then in art only the perfect and the strong must prevail.

Quotes from Historical Grammar of the Visual Arts by Alois Riegl

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 08:37 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

so, couldn't this just be considered a form of advertising at this point?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 08:49 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Yes.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 08:59 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

I'm reasonably sure we're the test run of a new spambot.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2009 09:01 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

This isn't spam. Nothing is being adertised from what I can tell. Just some interesting facts about the meaning of aesthetics and the subjective nature of perception of beuty etc.

What is this I don't even

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 02:17 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kostabot
This isn't spam. Nothing is being adertised from what I can tell. Just some interesting facts about the meaning of aesthetics and the subjective nature of perception of beuty etc.
Well, it is always something from a specific book or other, though I doubt that those Philosophers are spamming a movie forum, since some of them are dead already anyways.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 05:57 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote