KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Can we survive Global Capitalism?

Can we survive Global Capitalism?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coberst

There are negative feedback control systems such as a furnace/thermostat or our own bodies. There are positive feedback control systems such as an ordinary fire or our capitalistic economic system.

In a fire the higher the temperature the faster the fuel is burned; the faster the fuel burns the higher goes the temperature. In a business enterprise it is common practice to put a percentage of profit into advertising. More advertising creates greater sales, which mean higher profit.

A negative feedback system seeks out equilibrium; a positive feedback system has no equilibrium and is ever accelerating.

If we have a positive feedback system, such as capitalism being now abetted by Globalism, we face the horrendous situation that the greater the progress the faster the spiral of destruction when considering that the world and humans are negative feedback systems.

If we choose to continue with our present global/capitalistic program we must find a way to dampen the positive feedback system.

Biologists, and probably other sciences, inform us that human conceit, i.e. human ego, distorts our ability to comprehend our self. Egocentricities motivate us into irrational behavior thereby imperiling our survival; the human animal is arrogant and dangerous. Mark Twain was told that “man is the noblest work of God” to which he replied “Now, who found that out?”

Bernard James, author of “The Death of Progress” argues that perhaps a new moral order might be the solution to acquiring the means to avoid self-extinction. He argues that creation is a function of life. It is inventive acts that govern the evolution and survival requirements of human and ecosystems.

I suggest that we must find a new formula for the encouragement of creativity directed at this monumental problem. This is a problem that demands quick action and it seems to me that we cannot wait several generations for this to be accomplished. Today’s adults must recognize the problem and must energetically seek a solution. I think that an invigorated self-actualization through self-learning by adults is required. I am not talking about more schooling. Schooling has left us learning-handicapped already. This effort must be self-learning. Adults must begin a concentrated effort toward developing an intellectual life far beyond that which now exists.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 08:37 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Global capitalism will be disasterous in the long run. There will be no middle class, only rich and poor.There will also be accerelated depletion of the earth's already strained resources. We need national governments to regulate cspitalism.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 08:47 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

We probably can, but I doubt that capitalism will survive it. The problem with increasing capitalism will be in the short run rather than the long run. If we establish a purely capitalist world the danger will be in how it reorders itself of the course of a decade or so, that will set the tone for everything else.

If anyone gains a too much power in the process it will falter and collapse. If anyone gains lots of power in the process nothing will change from what we have now (except that those in power will have an extra way to justify themselves). If power and wealth are spread with general equality things will go well, though personally I believe it will collapse eventually as the distribution shifts more and more towards those who are already rich.

On this: "Schooling has left us learning-handicapped already. This effort must be self-learning."

I don't believe anyone who needs to be pushed towards self education will ever really do it. Schooling is beneficial but could (like most things) use updating to more modern methods and knowledge. Also that statement is based on a very limited view of schooling, many honors classes push students toward independent thought and self-education.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2009 09:24 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mindbomb
person

I dont think there will be global capitalism so I would not worry

Even if one group of people controls the whole world they will set up puppet goverments so that they do not seem the same and some of those goverments will not be capitalist

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2009 03:25 AM
mindbomb is currently offline Click here to Send mindbomb a Private Message Find more posts by mindbomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coberst

. Generally speaking tomorrow's GDP must be greater than yesterday's GDP or the system dies. When GDP goes up the rate of planet consumption goes up; the stored resources of the planet then go down.

The logic of global capitalism leads to the consumption of the planet.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2009 09:07 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

That's hardly a requirement for capitalism, even if it is a likely course.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2009 09:11 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Re: Can we survive Global Capitalism?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coberst
Biologists, and probably other sciences, inform us that human conceit, i.e. human ego, distorts our ability to comprehend our self.

psychologists

wink

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2009 09:26 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ushomefree

quote:
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud

Global capitalism will be disasterous in the long run. There will be no middle class, only rich and poor.

Elaborate on your view, please. I'm interested. Still, I can not help but think, that you have a distorted view regarding open markets. Honestly, no pun intended. Help me understand your position.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud

There will also be accerelated depletion of the earth's already strained resources. We need national governments to regulate capitalism.

This is true - at least the first half of your statement, in my opinion. World resources are in fact depleting, but this is largely due to - first! - a growing world population. The supply of food sources and oil, simply can not meet demand. The world is not a utopia, and it never will be. Second, government regulation is not the answer, in my opinion. Governments by nature suppress people. Governments do not liberate; governments only serve it's own needs to gain/acquire more power.

Have you ever attended a college level History 101 course? Honestly, I am just asking.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 09:41 PM
ushomefree is currently offline Click here to Send ushomefree a Private Message Find more posts by ushomefree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kgkg
Vigilante

It’s really hard to put any none perfect system in place for very long likes anything else a pure Capitalist system will collapse eventually.
Capitalism will lead to rich getting richer, poor getting poorer which won’t be sustainable in the long run.

The middle class is really important to keep society stable at least it gives people hope that there can is something better and they can attain it. If there is a government that is elected a system will never get to that extreme. <Where there is only rich and poor people>

Stay Thirsty, My Friends.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2010 09:53 PM
kgkg is currently offline Click here to Send kgkg a Private Message Find more posts by kgkg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by inimalist
psychologists

wink

Not a science.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2010 11:34 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Bardock42
Not a science.

Depends on the specific sub-field. Psychoanalysis isn't really a science but behaviorism sure is.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2010 12:05 AM
Abu-Bactr

We survived much worse.

Old Post May 29th, 2010 03:12 PM
Abu-Bactr is currently offline Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Depends on the specific sub-field. Psychoanalysis isn't really a science but behaviorism sure is.

all things considered, in modern psychology, it might be the opposite. Psychoanalysis, while not something I really am a fan of, refers to a thereputic approach by clinical psychologists that has several peer-reviewed journals and some strengths. I still think cognitive approaches to treatment are better than psychoanalytical, but they are, at least, reviewed and reformed in the same way any science is, though all psychologists would admit that treatment is inherently less "purely scientific" than research psychology is.

Behaviorism, however, in a modern sense is scientifically bankrupt. While it did have rigorous methods of expreimentation at the time, the fact that it ignored internal cognitive processes in their influence of behaviour means that anyone who ascribed to behaviourism today would be appealing to ideas long shown to be incorrect, and certainly not supported by modern evidence. There are sorts of "neo-behaviourist" ideas that emphasize bottom-up and pre-conscious influences on behaviour, but they aren't the same as Behaviorism proper, in the Skinnerian sense

Old Post May 29th, 2010 03:26 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by inimalist
I still think cognitive approaches to treatment are better than psychoanalytical...
yes

...though sometimes psychoanalysis does score more points because it jives with a particular patient's expectations.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Not a science.
Go away.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on May 30th, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2010 12:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Of course we can. Already things are in motion for a worldwide revolution, or at least a revolution in Europe.

Revolution or not, people are becoming more awake to the flaws in the systems. I don't think this system will last much longer to be honest, the people are taking notice.

- Emma Goldman

Old Post Jun 1st, 2010 12:38 AM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

It is simply not normal for world richest 1% to own almost 40% of wealth on this planet, while 50% of world adults own 1% of all wealth, according to UN statistics.
It is unstable and it will collapse...

EDIT: The report found the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total of global assets.
Jesus...

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Jun 5th, 2010 at 09:26 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 09:24 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
It is simply not normal

in what time period do you suppose there was a more equitable distribution?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2010 10:50 PM
lil bitchiness
-

There wasn't. If there was, it was on tribal levels. Just because it has never happened, does not mean it is impossible. We are still very savage and uncivilized.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:48 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Free Market Capitalism is as destructive to a society as communism-But Faster!

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 01:43 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
It is simply not normal for world richest 1% to own almost 40% of wealth on this planet, while 50% of world adults own 1% of all wealth, according to UN statistics.
It is unstable and it will collapse...

EDIT: The report found the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total of global assets.
Jesus...

What do you understand under "normal".

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Free Market Capitalism is as destructive to a society as communism-But Faster!

What examples of destructive free market capitalism are you thinking of?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 09:23 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote