KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If I know nothing can I be responsible for anything?

If I know nothing can I be responsible for anything?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coberst

Hogan's Heroes was an American television situation comedy that ran from 1965, to 1971. The show’s stage, a fictional account of Stalag 13, is situated in a German POW camp during the Second World War. The program featured Colonel Klink as the commandant of the camp and Hogan as the leader of the prisoners; Sergeant Schultz was the somewhat loveable and ever bumbling individual who was in charge of the prisoners. The prisoners were a crew of American and Allied prisoners who assisted Hogan in running a Special Operations group from the camp.

The prisoners were continually concocting a brew of shenanigans designed to fool Klink. Schultz seemed to constantly stumble upon these prisoner designs as they were being prepared and to immediately turn his back, cover his eyes, and say “I know nothing”; so as to position him self as ignorant and thus blameless for anything that might happen.

Sergeant Schultz constantly sought to have the excuse of ignorance of everything going on so that Colonel Klink would not send him to the Russian front should some of the prisoners escape.

I think that many American citizens follow the logic of Sergeant Schultz; they cultivate and embrace a veil of ignorance to protect them selves from having to accept responsibility for anything that might happen.

If I know nothing can I be blamed for anything?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 06:14 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

in very few ideologies is ignorance enough to vindicate one of all responsibility.

Certainly knowingly and deliberately doing something bears more responsibility than not knowing what to do, or doing something in ignorance of the consequences, however, unless we delve into the idiotic extremes of relativism, not knowing is not the same as not being responsible.

The law, in fact, is built around this premise. The standard for knowing is if a reasonable person should have been able to know, and ignorance of the law is not a valid legal defense.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 06:58 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

If you know nothing, then you're either a newborn with an undeveloped brain, or you're dead. So no, you're not responsible.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 12:24 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coberst

We humans remain ignorant because we want to be ignorant. To be ignorant is to consider one's self to be blameless for whatever happens. We are fearful of freedom. We think that freedom is a state of irresponsibility and ignorance shields us from responsibility.

I do not think that this is in our genes but it is a result of the society that we have created.

I think that we can create a better society and we must start by becoming self-actualizing self-learners and Critical Thinking independent fair-minded citizens.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 01:12 PM
coberst is currently offline Click here to Send coberst a Private Message Find more posts by coberst Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Willful Ignorance - Gets smashed in a court of law, so yes.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 01:16 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

'

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 01:16 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coberst
We think that freedom is a state of irresponsibility and ignorance shields us from responsibility.
Nicely phrased. It's childish thinking, eg, "I can do whatever I want" and "But I didn't mean to..."

I do not think that this is in our genes but it is a result of the society that we have created.
Ignorance is a lower-energy state (less to be aware of = less attentional energy), so I think there is some genetic influence. But society does foster, to one degree or another, dependence. Capitalistically, this means dependence on products and services promising to improve quality of life so we don't have to make the effort ourselves. Eg, you wanna lose weight? Why take responsibility for what you put in your mouth when a diet pill or electric ab machine will do the work for you (or so it is hoped).

I think that we can create a better society and we must start by becoming self-actualizing self-learners and Critical Thinking independent fair-minded citizens.
This looks like a job for Paradigm Shift Man.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 02:01 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by coberst

I actually agree with this statement, but good luck getting anyone to actually work toward that goal. Not to mention there would have to be an over-haul of various educational policies to allow this to take place, thanks to standardised testing being held in such high regard America, atleast, has become a nation of test takers and are loosing our independant thinkers.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 08:52 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote