KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » karma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
oman32

Miffed karma

1, Do you belive in it

2, what dose it mean to you

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 04:50 AM
oman32 is currently offline Click here to Send oman32 a Private Message Find more posts by oman32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Simply put no.

Karma has the concept of a larger being determining the consequences of our actions, or at least the idea of some sort of imbued system for maintaining a balance, built into it. And this presumes the idea of a God, which is something that I believe to be metaphysically false, due to multiple logical contradictions.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 05:04 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Nope.

It would mean that life is fundamentally fair in a measurable way. This seems untrue.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 05:14 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

There may not be a physical effect we could identify as Karma, but I would definitely say that it is a fair model of interpersonal interaction. If you are nice to people they are more likely to be nice to you. Also: Jerx beget jerx.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 06:09 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
oman32

But then the question that comes to mind is , cant your brain create situtions in with thing happen to you because of someting you have done without consideration (cause and effect) where the out come is something you cannot control

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 06:17 PM
oman32 is currently offline Click here to Send oman32 a Private Message Find more posts by oman32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yes, I do believe in Karma. Here is a thread that I stated. It has information taken from The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism. The problem with most people who say they do not believe in Karma, is that they do not know what Karma is.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...threadid=447678

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 06:44 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Nope.

It would mean that life is fundamentally fair in a measurable way. This seems untrue.

Karma has nothing to do with fairness.

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Simply put no.

Karma has the concept of a larger being determining the consequences of our actions, or at least the idea of some sort of imbued system for maintaining a balance, built into it. And this presumes the idea of a God, which is something that I believe to be metaphysically false, due to multiple logical contradictions.

Karma has nothing to do with a "larger being determining the consequences of our actions".

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 06:45 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Yes, I do believe in Karma. Here is a thread that I stated. It has information taken from The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism. The problem with most people who say they do not believe in Karma, is that they do not know what Karma is.

That's a terribly unhelpful explanation.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 06:54 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That's a terribly unhelpful explanation.

Karma to me is like Gravity. It just is.

Last edited by Shakyamunison on Aug 12th, 2009 at 07:09 PM

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 06:58 PM
tsilamini

Re: karma

Originally posted by oman32
1, Do you belive in it

no

2, what dose it mean to you

depends on who uses it

Karma is used in Indian villages to both justify their terrible conditions and prevent people from disrupting the status quo. In this case, to me, it is oppressive.

Its like any other belief, really, and most people don't act in accordance with what they believe anyways.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 07:00 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I can't bear the thought of there actually being a cosmic sense of right and wrong.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2009 10:49 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
oman32

i think there is ... think of it as evolution .. not right and wrong but learning from mistakes

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 03:43 AM
oman32

not to sound mean but that dosent help at all

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 03:43 AM
gobstakid777
Restricted

Account Restricted

i'll put it like this.A couple weeks ago I gave my mom some money w/o telling her,she was near broke,and secretly paid for items she was goin to by.That same day nothing bad happened to me

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 04:06 AM
gobstakid777 is currently offline Click here to Send gobstakid777 a Private Message Find more posts by gobstakid777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

not to sound mean but that dosent help at all

I'm not here to help, but tell me what I can do to help.

The first thing is that most people think Karma is something that it isn't.

quote:
Potentials in the inner, unconscious realm of life created through one's actions in the past or present that manifest themselves as various results in the present or future.

At the time of the big bang, the universe was a very small point of energy, but this energy was not uniform. That non uniformity lead to galaxies strewn throughout the dark matter web of the universe. This non uniformity was a type of Karma that was not yet manifest. Now we look out and we see this manifestation of the Karma of the early universe.

Does that help?

Originally posted by gobstakid777
i'll put it like this.A couple weeks ago I gave my mom some money w/o telling her,she was near broke,and secretly paid for items she was goin to by.That same day nothing bad happened to me

Karma is not a reward or punishment thing.

Last edited by Shakyamunison on Aug 13th, 2009 at 05:00 PM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 04:49 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I'm not here to help, but tell me what I can do to help.

The first thing is that most people think Karma is something that it isn't.

At the time of the big bang, the universe was a very small point of energy, but this energy was not uniform. That non uniformity lead to galaxies strewn throughout the dark matter web of the universe. This non uniformity was a type of Karma that was not yet manifest. Now we look out and we see this manifestation of the Karma of the early universe.

Does that help?

Karma is not a reward or punishment thing.

Your argument regarding the Big Bang is completely unconvincing because you have absolutely no proof beyond your belief, regarding any nature of this "energy" or "dark matter web"

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:20 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Your argument regarding the Big Bang is completely unconvincing because you have absolutely no proof beyond your belief, regarding any nature of this "energy" or "dark matter web"

So, the only problem you have with my post is the use of the words big bang, energy and dark matter web? laughing

I wasn't talking about the big bang, energy and dark matter web. I was using science to show how Karma can be applied. Many people think Karma is something supernatural, but it is not.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:27 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

It seemed like you were using the quasi scientific explanation as the focal point on which Karma is based, and I objected to that.

However by your quoted definition you describe Karma as "potentials" what exactly do you mean by that?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:42 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It seemed like you were using the quasi scientific explanation as the focal point on which Karma is based, and I objected to that.

However by your quoted definition you describe Karma as "potentials" what exactly do you mean by that?

quote:
... one's thought, speech, and behavior, both good and bad, imprint themselves as a latent force or potential in one's life. This latent force, or karma, when activated by an external stimulus, produces a corresponding good or bad effect, i.e., happiness or suffering. There are also neutral acts that produce neither good nor bad results.

A person does an act of kindness. That action has a latent effect on the self image of this person. If no other cause changes this effect, the Karma created by this action will manifest its self as an action. For example they may be kind to another person.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:59 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

So Karma is just cause and effect?

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 11:54 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote