KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » what are metaphysical forces

what are metaphysical forces
Started by: gobstakid777

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
gobstakid777
Restricted

Account Restricted

what are metaphysical forces

are they abstract objects?Is metaphysics the study of abstract objects?does fiction count as an abstract object.Is it the whole of all abstract and concrete objects that makes up reality?
i'd just like sum answers please

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 03:56 AM
gobstakid777 is currently offline Click here to Send gobstakid777 a Private Message Find more posts by gobstakid777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

In classical philosophy Metaphysics is exactly what it sounds like.

Beyond or before physics.

Descartes described Metaphysics as a system of understanding what is true regarding the world and how we come to know things are true. With the purpose of providing a base for his physics.
What this means is that Metaphysics, classically deals with the ideas of how our minds (or souls) interact with our body and with God, and how we come to have perceptions that are true. I.e. how we can come to know that the world around us is actually there and not a false belief created by our imagination or some evil demon deceiving us.

More currently it is more a study of things like time, or how we understand things. It tends to run rather closely with psychology, or cognitive sciences. as Descartes' Metaphysics directly evolved into the area of study we call psychology.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:24 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
as Descartes' Metaphysics directly evolved into the area of study we call psychology.

EEP!

careful

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:31 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I am oversimplifying, but the idea of how we learn, and how the mind works is a precursor to that.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:44 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

ya, exactly, I'd say Descartes may have started a form of empirical epistemology, but that didn't "directly" become psychology, imho, stuff like early psychophysics is way more crucial. Cognitive psych, dealing with the contents of the mind and stuff that Descartes seemed more interested in is really only 40-50 years old

Old Post Aug 13th, 2009 07:49 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

gravity is the ultimate metaphysical force. Magnatism is another.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 01:41 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by FistOfThe North

Wow...just...wow.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 01:56 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

profound hu? and it skipped all the babble.

yea, i'm a genius.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:05 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

profound hu? and it skipped all the babble.

yea, i'm a genius.

No. It's idiotic.

Gravity and MagnEtism are physical forces. Discussed by the science of physics. They are very not metaphysical.

Not to forget that gravity, if it is even a force (and it probably isn't) is certainly not the ultimate force.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:07 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Bardock42
No. It's idiotic.

Gravity and MagnEtism are physical forces. Discussed by the science of physics. They are very not metaphysical.

Not to forget that gravity, if it is even a force (and it probably isn't) is certainly not the ultimate force.

Ah, Mr.42. KMC's S.S. soldier extraordinaire, how've you been?

Anywho, both are unseen force nonetheless in the way metaphysical forces are. Ones that haven't even been fully understood, again, in the same way metaphysical forces haven't been.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:17 PM
Bardock42

Ah, Mr.42. KMC's S.S. soldier extraordinaire, how've you been?

Anywho, both are unseen force nonetheless in the way metaphysical forces are. Ones that haven't even been fully understood, again, in the same way metaphysical forces haven't been.

...wow...

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:26 PM
FistOfThe North

jeez. mammons right, lol.

You did lose your flare to debate vigorously and just spout senseless and thinly veiled puns here and there like saying wow 3 times in 2 repsonses.

I disagreed with your (formerly) flattening ignorance with solid argument. It sould've read:

"What happened to the manly, chubby German big mouth we once knew, who was flat out ignorant and never a had solid argument?

hehehe..

what are you gonna say to that? wow..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:40 PM
Bardock42

jeez. mammons right, lol.

You did lose your flare to debate vigorously and just spout senseless and thinly veiled puns here and there like saying wow 3 times in 2 repsonses.

I disagreed with your (formerly) flattening ignorance with solid argument. It sould've read:

"What happened to the manly, chubby German big mouth we once knew, who was flat out ignorant and never a had solid argument?

hehehe..

what are you gonna say to that? wow..

It's "flair", flare is a sudden burst of flame.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 02:50 PM
FistOfThe North

lol.

well you lost that too.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 03:07 PM
Bardock42

I guess there is some truth to it, I lost the interest to debate, I don't think I lost the flair though. I could go back and forth with you and embarass you thoroughly, but you would just stubbornly disagree, perhaps trying to save face, and honestly, I would not enjoy it. And that's the problem, I used to like debating and ripping ignorant or stupid people a new one, I don't anymore, so I shan't.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 07:39 PM
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Bardock42
I guess there is some truth to it, I lost the interest to debate, I don't think I lost the flair though. I could go back and forth with you and embarass you thoroughly, but you would just stubbornly disagree, perhaps trying to save face, and honestly, I would not enjoy it. And that's the problem, I used to like debating and ripping ignorant or stupid people a new one, I don't anymore, so I shan't.

Meh. It's ok. You were never a real debator anyway for a true debator does not debate to humiliate, but to enlighten. So get to know what a debate is first off. For example, this is not a debate. I'm just merely writing to you. Can you tell the difference? And learn to use ad hominem correctly. Secondly you'd have to be important enough for me to become embarrased because of. Text on a flat panel especially when it is semi-nonsensicle 85% of the time is hardly worth getting ashamed over. Plus over the years you've proven to be insignificant dicussion-wise because any and everything you've tried to bring up or defend has been stupendously trivial, in turn making everything you've always written a glorious bore not to be taken serious, at all. Which is why everyone jokes around with you all the time. Yes all the time, Mr. 42. Even when you're seemingly serious.

Now i don't think you're stupid, or a bad kid. You could hold the pastries but otherwise you'll evolve. It'll just take a little longer with you. It's just how it is with people mild down-syndrome. Plus you're coping with a recent lose. You're grieving, i understand that, and I offer my condolences. I know you will miss Mrs. Kennedy Shriver as she did so much for your kind. But worry not. For I assure you, her spirit is alive and well.

lol.

Speaking of ghosts, shall get back to metaphyics?..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 08:49 PM
King Kandy

Actually I think those things are precisely what metaphysics isn't.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 08:49 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Well both of those are physical forces. Gravity is also the absolute weakest force.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 08:54 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Something that exists in the absence of matter can be said to be metaphysical. Gravity and magnatism are a case example. But if you think I'm incorrect may you enlighten me as to why i am?

I'd appreciate it actually.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 08:57 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Something that exists in the absence of matter can be said to be metaphysical. Gravity and magnatism are a case example. But if you think I'm incorrect may you enlighten me as to why i am?

I'd appreciate it actually.

Well firstly I'd argue that you have the definition metaphyics wrong. Secondly gravity doesn't exist without matter. Thirdly magnetism doesn't exist without matter (though I guess magnatism might).

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Last edited by Symmetric Chaos on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 09:26 PM

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 09:23 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote