KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Serial Killers vs. Political Killers

Serial Killers vs. Political Killers
Started by: Luminatus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Serial Killers vs. Political Killers

In your personal definition of good and evil, if you have one, are people like Ted Bundy worse than people like Adolf Hitler? Is the amount of people they are responsible for killing make them "more" evil to you? Does the fact Hitler or Stalin thought they were doing good make them less vile than serial killers?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2009 02:25 AM
Luminatus is currently offline Click here to Send Luminatus a Private Message Find more posts by Luminatus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Obviously sheer numbers makes people like Hitler worse.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2009 02:59 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

In my mind a serial killer's usual mental issues should also absolve them of their crimes to some extent.
Least that's what I think.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2009 03:08 AM
Luminatus is currently offline Click here to Send Luminatus a Private Message Find more posts by Luminatus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Luminatus
In my mind a serial killer's usual mental issues should also absolve them of their crimes to some extent.
Least that's what I think.

Except that serial killers are in control of themselves and aware enough that what they are doing is wrong to avoid capture. Their mental issues would be pretty much the standard definition of "evil". Hitler's own issues were probably more severe than those of the average serial killer.

Of course how "bad" someone's problems are is just as subjective as what defines a "problem" in this case and how much it absolves one of murder, if at all.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2009 03:25 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

But aren't serial killers "addicted" to murder? Hitler for instance didn't suffer a compulsion to ill people as far as I know. Someone like Bundy, who is the killer who made me think of this thread, was compelled to murder people because of his past. I've also heard, though I can't cite any examples, of killers who have actual physical defects in thei brain that keeps them from understanding how wrong their acts are.

From your posts you definitely seem to know more about psychology than me so whatever you say is probably right. I just am going off the bits and pieces I've picked up.

Last edited by Luminatus on Oct 10th, 2009 at 03:43 AM

Old Post Oct 10th, 2009 03:39 AM
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hitler suffered from several mental illnesses.

Political killers have a much broader field of responsibility. It's difficult to say whether someone is better or worse, but their actions usually affect many more people. Assuming they are made by someone with power, and not the mayor of some hick-town.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Oct 14th, 2009 09:01 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

I've also heard, though I can't cite any examples, of killers who have actual physical defects in thei brain that keeps them from understanding how wrong their acts are.
Thats called Psychopathy and it's caused by environmental factors not some sort of defect in the brain. However it's only a word to describe a certain kind of person who through no fault of there own developed the traits recognized as Psychopathy. Though there are people who would argue these people are predisposed to develop in to this kind of person.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2009 05:43 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Magee
Though there are people who would argue these people are predisposed to develop in to this kind of person.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...Pubmed_RVDocSum

EDIT: and to extrapolate, environmental factors are said to create a defecit in the brain, resulting in psychopathy.

Last edited by tsilamini on Oct 15th, 2009 at 05:53 PM

Old Post Oct 15th, 2009 05:47 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Numbers is one factor. I would think intent is another. Also, means.

One could argue that Hitler acted to empower Germany; and that the concentration camps were the most efficient way to kill large numbers (millions) of the enemy.

On the other hand, the BTK killer -- while taking out far less people -- deliberately inflicted on them as much suffering as possible. He was looking to empower only himself; and efficiency was defined not by numbers but by degree of suffering.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2009 09:40 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

What about economic killers like drug companies that make life saving drugs for some diseases available only to the rich so those that can't afford them die?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 08:06 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

They're the worst, they'd let a million people die just to make a few bucks.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 04:39 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
What about economic killers like drug companies that make life saving drugs for some diseases available only to the rich so those that can't afford them die?

If people want to not die they should go make more money. Your line of thinking will send countries straight into Communism.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 05:04 AM
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Political Killers in all honesty. They normally kill a lot more people firstly, and I mean, politicians are supposed to be people one can trust (obviously this isn't true they're all lying monsters). Serial Killers normally come out with bad mental conditions, (abused as children) but then again I suppose, like Adolf Hitler, there are many exceptions to this.

But no, in my opinion, Political Killers - just because they have that dangerous ability to gather others under their wing. You want to talk about Hitler, look at how many people who brainwashed to join the Nazi party...

- Emma Goldman

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 01:53 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
If people want to not die they should go make more money. Your line of thinking will send countries straight into Communism.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, i find it unfortunate that you weren't born in Africa HIV positive.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 03:37 PM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
icu311

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud

Drug Companies are just that, companies. Their goal is to make a profit. If there is no profit, there are no drugs.

And to the OP, obviously we all think of Hitler as one of the most evil men to ever exist because of the sheer number of people he murdered. In my opinion, a killer who kills for enjoyment or personal gain is worse than a killer that kills because they believe they are doing the right thing. Not that killing in any form is excusable, but thats just my two cents.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 02:10 AM
icu311 is currently offline Click here to Send icu311 a Private Message Find more posts by icu311 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote

Originally posted by icu311
Drug Companies are just that, companies. Their goal is to make a profit. If there is no profit, there are no drugs.

Drugs can be developed, produced and distributed with public resources and personell with no profitting intent and with at least the same and probably superior efficiency than the corporate system can deliver.

Search for profit cannot be accepted as the only value a private enterprise upholds within a society. Public interest must be taken into consideration and enforced upon them, if they do not care for it at all.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2010 08:49 PM
753 is currently offline Click here to Send 753 a Private Message Find more posts by 753 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yeah, those stupid poor people. It's their own ****ing fault they're poor and not rich after all. They just don't want it bad enough

Old Post Aug 14th, 2010 08:50 PM
753 is currently offline Click here to Send 753 a Private Message Find more posts by 753 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote

Re: Serial Killers vs. Political Killers

In your personal definition of good and evil, if you have one, are people like Ted Bundy worse than people like Adolf Hitler? Is the amount of people they are responsible for killing make them "more" evil to you? Does the fact Hitler or Stalin thought they were doing good make them less vile than serial killers?

Sheer numebrs count of course, but when people think of political killers their minds go to hitler and they think: evil ****, of course politically motivated killings are worse. Problem is that the values, institutions and social conditions most people treasure today - whatever they might be, even our nations - were forged and defended through political killings. So what makes one so revolting and the other so easy to ignore or justify? Nazis and stalinists would consider their actions legitimate for the greater good.

It is not simply the act of killing or the number of killings, it is its intent and the situations surrounding them that shape our subjective moral judgements of them.

I also believe serial killers provoke disgust or perplexity more easilly because their motivations are uncomprehensible to most people and their methods are cruel and gruesome. Most political killings on the other hand can at least be understood even if completelly rejected and condemned.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2010 09:05 PM
alltoomany

political because people in numbers praise some of them

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2011 01:23 AM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Febna Albeol
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not sure I'd consider the numbers in the matter a real factor at play here, as it's usually the means and not a question of "how" "evil" the person is that determines the extent of their wrongdoings. I'd say it's a matter of the intent behind the killings, and to that extent there usually isn't a huge difference in the mindframe of someone who's willing to kill in a general sense whether it's a small handful of people or millions.

I also wouldn't consider mental illness as some kind of excuse or legitimate explanation behind "evil" intentions and actions any more than I would their upbringing, physical makeup of their brain, being possessed by a demon or the deterministic forces that lead to them being the way they are. All explain why the person is the way they are, but the issue isn't the "why" in this case, but the "what" and the fact of the matter is that for whatever reason that person happens to be the individual that he is, and it's who he is that's being judged, not why he is that person.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2011 08:02 AM
Febna Albeol is currently offline Click here to Send Febna Albeol a Private Message Find more posts by Febna Albeol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote