KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » One of my ideas

One of my ideas
Started by: MooCowofJustice

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

One of my ideas

Interesting subforum is interesting. Truth be told, this isn't really philosophy on the level most of the threads in here appear to be on. It focuses more on Earth and Society.

If you feel like reading it, go for it. Any questions you might have or things that might not make sense I'll be glad to explain, I am aware that I don't always make sense. I'll talk with you about stuff if you want me to. So, whatever. I copied this directly from the site I originally posted it on.

Oh, you're free to think whatever you want about it, of course. But the one thing I ask that you don't think is that I am pretentious or like "holier than thou" or something. I am aware that you could say that based on this, but I was just typing out whatever I thought in this and I haven't edited it. So it isn't quite as suggestive as it could be. You might find this tone of "Graaah this is how it should be!" in it. But please, just over look that and look at this as one big suggestion.

quote:

To Begin
What would a perfect world be like?
Would it be a world of complete Order? I don't think so. I think a
world of complete Order would be boring, immoral, and eventually,
fatal. To impose complete Order, conflict would have to be eliminated.
I believe that is impossible. As a people, our very existences promote
and encourage conflict. We are born in different places and to
different people. We all look different, think different, and live
different lives.

What if one nation conquered the world to enforce peace? Would that create a perfect world? I don't think so. Perhaps it would create a world-wide peace. But what would it cost? Billions of people could be killed. And would the peace last? No. It would be enforced peace, almost an oxymoron. People long to be free. We like to own things. We like to express ourselves. We love having choices and options for all kinds of things. We can't have that under enforced peace.

What if we just scrapped all the world governments? Total Anarchy. No. As far back as we can go, people have naturally organized themselves under leaders. Erasing the Government means no more police, no more laws, no more protection for everyday citizens. V for Vendetta is a cool movie and all, but to suddenly throw out Government creates a situation that is chaotic. People right now
don't have the skills to naturally make Anarchy work in a good society.

I think the perfect world is simply a world of good. Evil is gone, nobody kills anyone else, nobody steals, nobody hurts anyone else to get something they want, even common fist fights are gone.

How is that possible? Some people don't think it is. Some people believe that we will always have evil because evil is fun. Other people believe that there is no evil, and that what we consider evil is simply what society frowns upon, something that we naturally pursue because it is easier. There are also people who believe that humans are not perfect, and that there is no point in trying to be.

I don't think evil is what we call fun. My definition of evil is very different from these individual's definition. Perhaps to them, premarital sex is evil because they practice a religion that frowns on it. That is not what I define as evil.

We do naturally pursue what is evil because it is
easier. We have to change that. We need to realize that for every
reason there is to perform an act of evil, there is a better reason to
not perform it. As of now I think of a few things that could be
necessary for this: empathy, sacrifice, gratitude and forgiveness.

Empathy.
Take for example a murder. If the murderer can feel or understand all
the emotions his action will create (the fear of the victim, the rage,
sadness, and pain of the victim and their family), he probably won't
commit the murder. And if he does, it won't ever happen again.

Sacrifice.
First and foremost, no person may force another to sacrifice something. If they are not willing, it ceases to become a sacrifice and becomes a theft. When I say sacrifice, I don't mean killing yourself, or killing anyone else to appease a god. I mean a willingness for people to put what is best for others and what is right before what is easier and what is best for themselves, unselfishness put in a different term. Why is this important? It sets an example for others. Would I take a bullet for a total stranger? Yeah.

Gratitude. This is very necessary, partly because sacrifice is necessary. Part of the reason evil is easier than good is because evil grants instant gratification, while good will require empathy and may also be a portion of its own reward. Gratitude in this case is best put like this: You are now paralyzed from the waist down because you saved a young child from a wild animal. But by chance the animal bit you in your lower back and damaged your spine. The gratitude comes not just from the boy and his family, but from total strangers. One morning you wheel your way out to the mailbox and pick up your mail. A stranger is walking down the sidewalk. He has heard your story. He stops in front of you. He shakes your hand and says "Thank you. You did a great thing. I am proud to have met you."

Forgiveness. I think this speaks for itself.
In the case of the murder victim, the victims family would have to
learn to forgive the murderer and move past it instead of holding on to all of their rage and pain. This is a lot like sacrifice, it represents
a willingness to move forward.

It is also true that humans are not perfect. But if we stop trying to be, we have stopped trying to better ourselves won't move forward. We could have flying cars and space travel, but people are still being killed because of road rage or bar fights.

Other Necessities
There are a lot of things people might imagine are gone in a perfect world. Anger, Conflict, Sadness. But all of these things are necessary.

People commonly associate anger and hatred with negatives like vengeance. But Anger and Hate are natural emotions, we cannot escape them. Anger is a powerful motivator. Powerful enough to motivate a revenge killing. But in the perfect world we know how to use it productively, work past it, where it truly comes from, and we even know how to feel less of it.

As mentioned earlier, Conflict is promoted by our existence. Not all
conflict is bad. Right now, if you disagree with any of this while I
agree with it, that is a conflict. Is it bad? Nah. The only part that
can be bad about conflict is how people react to it.

Sadness is here because it is also a natural emotion. It is necessary to make empathy work.

Things to be aware of.
Just about any History teacher will tell you that we study History so that we can learn from the past and ensure that we won't make the same mistakes. The problem is we don't always listen to the warnings left for us.

A lot of conspiracy theorists believe that there are many laws passed today that have stripped us of some of the rights we believe are god given. Perhaps they are right. Earlier today a college professor of mine said that because of the Department of Homeland Security, all of our emails are logged, our phone calls are recorded, and we could be arrested without sight of a lawyer or a trial for 6 months. I don't know how true this is, but there are a lot of events in history that give us a warning that would prevent this if it was true. When we are afraid we will give up our rights to feel safe. We have to be careful of that.

Perhaps it is impossible to feel completely safe and enjoy all of the freedoms we believe all humans should have to their fullest.

I've split off in like ten different directions at this point, so now these are different thoughts I'll elaborate on later. Here? Probably not. This is mostly therapy.

1. Peace is something to be taught, not enforced.
2. We need to learn to accept differences as recognize that they don't change anyone's worth.
3. To learn to trust people, first we need to learn to be trustworthy.
Perhaps different countries still exist, as well as capitalism and all
the other forms of Government. But if we learn to accept them and not
hate eachother/get past that and treat people like people it might not
bother us.
5. The qualities we need are shown in the heroes we idolize. Heroes like Superman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Batman.
6. Perhaps our leaders can make this happen. But if they can, it won't be for us, it'll have to be with us.

Jumbled thoughts suck. I can't remember those last four.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 12:30 AM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

most people who kill are very much aware of the emotional and physical repercussions of their act, but in most cases whatever motivation there is to desist is simply overridden by passion, or, in many cases, the killer actually gets off on those negative feelings. compassion does not prevent murders because most killing is a not a result of misunderstanding. the only way to prevent murder is to change human instinct itself; killing is apart of who we are.

as for the rest of your post, the basic gist of what a perfect world would be in your eyes is one where only good stuff happens... that about sums up what everyones idea of a perfect world would be...

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 03:17 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The words "useless" and "ostentatious" just materialized over-top of all that.

Damn Windows.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Mar 10th, 2010 at 09:59 AM

Old Post Mar 10th, 2010 09:54 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote