KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What makes the brain slow down

What makes the brain slow down
Started by: Amazing Vrayo!!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

What makes the brain slow down

Why is it that after age...9 or 10, the brain stops functioning as well? I feel like I can't remember things as well as I used to be able to, and I'm just not interested in learning anymore. I mean have you ever seen how eager little kids are to learn and to play. They're just little balls of energy. Where did that feeling go?

I got everything!

Old Post Mar 29th, 2010 02:59 PM
Grate the Vraya is currently offline Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

my brain stop functioning at optimum at around 16 or 17. i blamed it on drugs. sigh.... i cant memorize exams minutes prior to test anymore and catch up in one night a semester of study.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2010 03:13 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: What makes the brain slow down

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Why is it that after age...9 or 10, the brain stops functioning as well? I feel like I can't remember things as well as I used to be able to, and I'm just not interested in learning anymore. I mean have you ever seen how eager little kids are to learn and to play. They're just little balls of energy. Where did that feeling go?

Your brain physically changes around that time (along with the rest of your physiology).

The childhood desire to learn probably exists because you need to quickly discover the rule of the world around you, everything from "things move when I hit them" to "the bright thing in the sky is called the sun". Once you leave childhood the energy resources that went to running the brain non-stop like that switch to building up the body physically so that you can survive and contribute to the mastodon hunts. Evolution has yet to catch up with the lack of mastodons.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2010 04:22 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Why is it that after age...9 or 10, the brain stops functioning as well?
It doesn't "stop functioning as well": it functions differently. At first it's focused on getting the basics down (see S Chaos' post). But then more abstract and comprehensive thinking kicks in, and if anything, the brain functions better because it can now comprehend stuff it couldn't before.

But other things can interfer with learning. Adolescence is nearly akin to age-specific psychosis, with its narcissistic rationalizing, cut-off-nose-to-spite-face oppositionalism, 15-second attention spans and 25/8 head pollution from ipods.

Don't go by how the brain functions during this time.

smokin'

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2010 04:41 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

methinks your perceptions have much less to do with real physiological changes in your brain and more to do with social and personal factors.

Memory isn't better for childhood, in fact, unless you are 12-13, you are describing a very abnormal pattern of memory. I think you might want to think and see if you really do have better memory for mundane things one year ago versus when you were 9-10. It may just be that cooler and more memorable things were happening to you at that point in time.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2010 07:02 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cuinan.2010
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wow! I’ve never heard of this before and I think they’re awesome!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2010 03:13 AM
cuinan.2010 is currently offline Click here to Send cuinan.2010 a Private Message Find more posts by cuinan.2010 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Re: Re: What makes the brain slow down

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Your brain physically changes around that time (along with the rest of your physiology).

The childhood desire to learn probably exists because you need to quickly discover the rule of the world around you, everything from "things move when I hit them" to "the bright thing in the sky is called the sun". Once you leave childhood the energy resources that went to running the brain non-stop like that switch to building up the body physically so that you can survive and contribute to the mastodon hunts. Evolution has yet to catch up with the lack of mastodons.

hence why god is better amirite

Old Post Apr 29th, 2010 09:22 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I hate how my attention span just..........Wow, an icecream truck!

Last edited by Deja~vu on Apr 29th, 2010 at 09:26 PM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2010 09:24 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Deja~vu
I hate how my attention span just..........Wow, an icecream truck.
laughing out loud You're cute.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2010 09:26 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I enjoy your posts too, as always. cool

Old Post Apr 29th, 2010 09:52 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I think drugs or some kind of medical reason the brain can slow down.Also as you get older your brain should be working faster because it is learning alot more stuff then it did when you were a kid.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 03:22 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I think drugs

actually, most drugs increase activity in the brain

in fact, it would take an increase of activity in some regions to slow down the activity in others

or some kind of medical reason the brain can slow down.

do you mean like unconsciousness or brain damage?

Also as you get older your brain should be working faster because it is learning alot more stuff then it did when you were a kid.

the brain is far more active during childhood

Old Post Jun 14th, 2010 03:58 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

yea that and the stuff for eyes that they are trying to pass where I live.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2010 05:13 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

acid increased my thinking and neural kinetics as did coke and crank

Old Post Jun 18th, 2010 09:21 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

the stuff they put in chemtrails

Old Post Jul 5th, 2010 03:37 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Re: What makes the brain slow down

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Evolution has yet to catch up with the lack of mastodons.

This made me lol for realz.

wink

Old Post Jul 6th, 2010 06:52 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StarCraft2
Restricted

Account Restricted

lack of fluids/sugar/nutrients

age/senile

mind altering drugs/substances/or side effects of drugs

concussion/trauma/blood loss/CSF loss (cerebral spinal fluid)

fatigue/lack of sleep or rest

stress/anger/depression

any circumstances that trigger stress/anger/depression.

WINS:11 LOSSES:21 DRAWS:4
I Train in Following Disciplines Kickboxing Wrestling and Mix Martial Arts

Old Post Jul 27th, 2010 06:51 AM
StarCraft2 is currently offline Click here to Send StarCraft2 a Private Message Find more posts by StarCraft2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

life.. the KGB asked the very same question

Old Post Feb 4th, 2011 08:17 AM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote