KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Existentialism and Cultural Relativism

Existentialism and Cultural Relativism
Started by: Omega Vision

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Existentialism and Cultural Relativism

I've recently gotten into existentialist philosophy, namely that of Jean-Paul Sartre, but I'm a dilettante and I still don't grasp all of the concepts, particularly his view of morality. As I understand it its entirely subjective, but what I want to know is if Sartre's ethical philosophy might be in line with Cultural Relativism or if its focus on the individual would preclude that.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 02:41 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

There's people on KMC who are intellectually versed enough to have a discussion on those topics individually, but you're likely speaking to too specific a niche in asking that question. It's doubtful that many of us have read the right group of books to be able to address the specifics of the topics and how they intersect.

I'm only passingly familiar with Sartre. Good luck.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 03:06 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
There's people on KMC who are intellectually versed enough to have a discussion on those topics individually, but you're likely speaking to too specific a niche in asking that question. It's doubtful that many of us have read the right group of books to be able to address the specifics of the topics and how they intersect.

I'm only passingly familiar with Sartre. Good luck.

I'm trying to read Being and Nothingness right now but its really dense and I have lots of assigned reading that makes sitting down and giving it the attention it demands impossible. big grin

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 03:17 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Everything i've heard about existentialism seems fascinating, but I have yet to read any actual existential authors. Sorry but I can't really help.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 03:35 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by King Kandy
Everything i've heard about existentialism seems fascinating, but I have yet to read any actual existential authors. Sorry but I can't really help.
Read Existentialism is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre, it's fairly short and gives a good summary of the basic points of his theory.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 03:50 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I've recently gotten into existentialist philosophy, namely that of Jean-Paul Sartre, but I'm a dilettante and I still don't grasp all of the concepts, particularly his view of morality. As I understand it its entirely subjective, but what I want to know is if Sartre's ethical philosophy might be in line with Cultural Relativism or if its focus on the individual would preclude that.
Interesting. I also don't know all that much about either, but what the hey...

As I understand it, Existentialism is about responsibility. We are responsible for our own personal existence -- indeed, for the universal human condition -- and this responsibility is manifested through our actions.

Cultural Relativism states we judge a person's actions in the context of their culture.

My first impression: CR is subsumed by E. Each has its place and function. One may be more practical in day-to-day life; while the other may allow a better understanding of the Big Picture, for long-term purposes. Put another way: the cultural 'sphere of influence' expands as we slide the Responsibility Indicator from a CR polarity to an E polarity.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 08:36 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote