KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Philosophy Jokes

Philosophy Jokes
Started by: Omega Vision

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Philosophy Jokes

Jokes about philosophy or just funny anecdotes that concern philosophy.

Here's a short story I heard from my Ethical Theory professor.

As he tells it he knew a certain German philosopher who was teaching in London, one day this philosopher wanted to smoke his pipe but it started raining as it often does in London so he went into the subway station to light his pipe. A police officer approached him and told him he couldn't do that.

The philosopher replied "It isn't hurting anyone."

The cop said "Imagine if we lived in a world where everyone lit their pipes in the subway station when it rains."

The philosopher replied "Who do you think you are, Kant?"

Unfortunately his accent causes him to pronounce Kant as K-U-N-T.

He was given a fine.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 05:07 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Jokes about philosophy or just funny anecdotes that concern philosophy.

Here's a short story I heard from my Ethical Theory professor.

As he tells it he knew a certain German philosopher who was teaching in London, one day this philosopher wanted to smoke his pipe but it started raining as it often does in London so he went into the subway station to light his pipe. A police officer approached him and told him he couldn't do that.

The philosopher replied "It isn't hurting anyone."

The cop said "Imagine if we lived in a world where everyone lit their pipes in the subway station when it rains."

The philosopher replied "Who do you think you are, Kant?"

Unfortunately his accent causes him to pronounce Kant as K-U-N-T.

He was given a fine.

It's not his accent that caused him to do that, it was accuracy

Good though.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2011 10:50 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What did one skunk say to the other?

I stink, therefore I am.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2011 11:13 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Bardock42
It's not his accent that caused him to do that, it was accuracy

Good though.

Heh, as my professor pointed out "of course the real flaw of this anecdote is that the police officer wasn't making a deontological argument but a Rule-based Consequentialist argument"

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2011 04:18 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Omega Vision on Nov 19th, 2011 at 07:37 PM

Old Post Nov 19th, 2011 07:35 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Today my shit smells really bad. What's up with that?

And what's up with you want to pee and shit at the same time but your body can't make up its mind which to do first. Am I the only one???

Old Post Nov 21st, 2011 04:25 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lewis21

first Date

A boy is about to go on his first date, but he has no idea what to talk about. He asks his father for advice, and the pearls of wisdom in reply are, "Son, there are three subjects that always work. These are food, family, and philosophy."

The boy picks up his date and they go to a soda fountain. Ice-cream sodas in front of them, they stare at each other for several uncomfortable minutes. The boy remembers his father's words. He asks the girl: "Do you like potato pancakes?".

"No," she says, and the silence returns.

After a few more nerve-wracking minutes, the boy thinks again of his father's suggestions, and turns to the second item on the list.

"Do you have a brother?"

"No," says the girl, and, again, the silence is deafening.

In desperation the boy plays his final card. He thinks of his father's advice, and asks: "If you had a brother, would he like potato pancakes?"

Old Post Nov 28th, 2011 04:57 PM
Lewis21 is currently offline Click here to Send Lewis21 a Private Message Find more posts by Lewis21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

http://www.dead-philosophers.com/

My favorite webcomic, w/ lots of philosophy humor.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2011 04:16 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

A classic wink

The thoroughly secular young attorney and the philosopher were engaged in fierce theological debate: "Heaven and hell, you will agree, may very well be separated by a wall," contended the lawyer. Should it happen that this wall would fall down, who would you say must rebuild it?" The righteous would insist that the wicked do it; the latter would likely refuse. If this case came before a judge, which do you believe would emerge the winner?" "It seems to me," replied the philosopher, "that any fair-minded judge would render a verdict against the wicked, since the likelihood is that the wall should crumble from the fires of hell rather than from the bliss of Paradise. "On the other hand," he concluded, "I fully realize that hell surely contains a full quota of glib-tongued lawyers, and I should therefore not be surprised if they won the case."

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2012 10:24 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2012 08:37 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Terry Goodkind writes a series of novels with coherent direction and well-presented ideology.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2012 10:27 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

What is a recent philosophy Ph.D.'s usual question in his or her first job?

"Would you like french fries with that?"

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 04:22 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 08:25 AM
JediRobin23 is currently offline Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Originally posted by Astner
What is a recent philosophy Ph.D.'s usual question in his or her first job?

"Would you like french fries with that?"

Odds are they'll have English Major co-workers, so it's all gravy.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 01:30 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vender? "Make me one 
with everything." 
What did the hot dog vender say when the Buddhist asked for his change? "Change comes from within."

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2012 01:55 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote