KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. How do you differentiate?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. How do you differentiate?
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. How do you differentiate?

It's as if a friend told me, for example, that there's a spoon on my bed, you can't see it, but it's there, and friend number 2 comes along and tells me dude, there is no spoon on your bed because we dont' see it there, as a matter of fact, it does not exist on your bed.

I'm gonna go with friend number two.

and imo, one of the reason is, is that, to me, in generally every case, generally speaking, the invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.

How would you differentiate, if you disagreed? Please explain.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 02:49 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

oh man, my bad.

i should'a threw this topic out into the religion forum.

oh well. the mods'll take care of it.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 02:56 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

If it effects the material universe but still isn't visible then it still exists.

Take black holes for instance.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 03:06 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

thats sort of what I was thinking, there are a number of things that aren't "visible" to humans, yet we can measure in many ways, or we can see the direct effects of.

I suppose it all depends on if you think an item that is, by definition, undetectable in any way and has no impact otherwise on the universe actually exists in the first place. As in, is the ability to impact the physical universe a prerequisite for something to be considered existent?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 03:11 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
thats sort of what I was thinking, there are a number of things that aren't "visible" to humans, yet we can measure in many ways, or we can see the direct effects of.

I suppose it all depends on if you think an item that is, by definition, undetectable in any way and has no impact otherwise on the universe actually exists in the first place. As in, is the ability to impact the physical universe a prerequisite for something to be considered existent?

Which opens interesting existential questions when you consider that non-existent things have effected (albeit indirectly) the material universe.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 03:35 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by Omega Vision
If it effects the material universe but still isn't visible then it still exists.

Take black holes for instance.

I would assume that by "invisible", he did not mean in reference to sight alone, but rather, "undetectable". Obviously, it is a simple matter to differentiate the two if you can smell, hear, feel etc., or even "see" it through indirect inferences.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 03:38 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by King Kandy
I would assume that by "invisible", he did not mean in reference to sight alone, but rather, "undetectable". Obviously, it is a simple matter to differentiate the two if you can smell, hear, feel etc., or even "see" it through indirect inferences.

So invisible and intangible?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 04:09 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Omega Vision
So invisible and intangible?

Or just a very strict sort of intangible. Nothing it does effects the world. Nothing the world does effects it.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 04:18 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Isn't this semantics? Obviously, the difference is: the Undetectable exists on some level (we just can't "see" it), while the Nonexistent doesn't exist at all (hence, there's nothing to "see").

If we want to move this into a more realistic venue, then how did we know the Undetectable entity exists in the first place? At some point, on some level, it had to register in human awareness. Otherwise, how would we know to even ask about it? Heck, at the very least, even "God" showed up in writing to get the ball rolling.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 12:10 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Re: The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. How do you differentiate?

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
It's as if a friend told me, for example, that there's a spoon on my bed, you can't see it, but it's there, and friend number 2 comes along and tells me dude, there is no spoon on your bed because we dont' see it there, as a matter of fact, it does not exist on your bed.
semantics

Old Post Nov 12th, 2011 05:25 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote