KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What are the Roots of Prejudice?

What are the Roots of Prejudice?
Started by: darkriddle

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darkriddle

What are the Roots of Prejudice?

I think that nearly all of us have been subjected to prejudism in some manner. Whether it be via religion, race, or nationality, prejudice still effects the large majority of us in some ways, even in a modern age.

My question is whether or not we need to redefine prejudice in an age that is taking so many different cultural changes?

Social class prejudice has always existed as well, with the proverbial peasant class being shunned by the middle class and high class. In medieval times, this was extremely evident in Europe and Japan. Is it still that definable in modern nations?

Also, the gender issues have stepped into the prejudice fray with often confusing ethical dilemmas. Gay, trans-gender, and bisexuals compel a new set of moral puzzles as the issue of "acceptance" comes into play.

Do political agendas really have the right to legalize what is considered acceptable? If the republicans win the elections (in America) do they have the right to initiate a ban on personal relationships (i.e. Civil Unions & such) and if so, is this not a form of legislative prejudice?

On a macro-social level, ideas about prejudice now stem into prehistory with some anthropologists believing that our species killed off the Neanderthals and many other hominid species due to a competitive drive fueled by prejudice. Is this true?

Prejudice on a micro-social level also seems to be a key component on overtly dangerous "Bullying" where children are often beat severely, and in ever growing cases, actually killed.

Is there a "cure" for prejudice out there, or in us? Or are we so linked to our primeval instincts that we can never truly obliterate the prejudice drive within our species?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2011 09:44 PM
darkriddle is currently offline Click here to Send darkriddle a Private Message Find more posts by darkriddle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Roots - ignorance; insulation; evolutionary tendency to create in-groups
Cures - education; perspective; none outside of inconceivable amounts of time or directed evolution via biological or technological means

Cures are ordered respective to that which they cure in the above list.

It's no big secret how to deconstruct prejudice. It's implementation that is logistically nightmarish.

You seem to want to steer this toward gay marriage, so meh.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 25th, 2011 at 09:56 PM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2011 09:53 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darkriddle

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi

I like what you said about the cures - and the difficulty in "applying" them. (Is that a correct way to view it?) However, I don't want to steer it toward gay marriage (though I do think that's a valid point as well) or any "particular" prejudice issue but prejudice on a generic level.

I will be bringing up many different types of circumstances to convey prejudice and how flexible it can be in destroying peoples lives.

What do you think about the role prejudice played in our more recent genocides -- like Rwanda? Would it be a fair assessment to say that the genocide in Rwanda Africa was an example of extreme prejudice wining over national/social logic? Could the same be said of the Serb/Muslim crisis?

I do not know the answers, but would like to consider other opinions on such things.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2011 10:09 PM
darkriddle is currently offline Click here to Send darkriddle a Private Message Find more posts by darkriddle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I think it depends on how you were bought up. We without noting offen share the same views with our parents which is scary but true.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2011 05:48 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Originally posted by Digi
Roots - ignorance; insulation; evolutionary tendency to create in-groups
Cures - education; perspective; none outside of inconceivable amounts of time or directed evolution via biological or technological means

Cures are ordered respective to that which they cure in the above list.

It's no big secret how to deconstruct prejudice. It's implementation that is logistically nightmarish.

You seem to want to steer this toward gay marriage, so meh.
thumb up

Old Post Nov 13th, 2011 12:40 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

As long as there are people in this world there will always be Prejudice!

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2011 03:31 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

True. Though if you keep their (humans) numbers down and educate, a beautiful thing can happen.

The sins of the fathers will always reflect onto their children.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2011 04:55 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Its probably the inherent inferiority of certain groups that causes it.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2011 07:54 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Yea and again how you are raised.

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2011 04:40 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

When people have a healthy concept of themselves and that of other human beings predudice deminishes and understanding fills its place.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2011 06:45 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

At the "root" of it all: it's just biological programming.

I don't think there's a specific "prejudice" gene. In fact, the ability to discern based on how much "un-alike" another is from you was probably beneficial way back when (and is still partially true today).

But, we can only blame so much on evolution and genes when we have quite a bit of free will to choose on our own.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2011 07:11 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Originally posted by Deja~vu
When people have a healthy concept of themselves and that of other human beings predudice deminishes and understanding fills its place.

I still don't think it is ever going to happen. People don't like change. Specially older people once they make up there mind they keep it. wink

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2011 04:38 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by dadudemon
At the "root" of it all: it's just biological programming.

I don't think there's a specific "prejudice" gene. In fact, the ability to discern based on how much "un-alike" another is from you was probably beneficial way back when (and is still partially true today).

But, we can only blame so much on evolution and genes when we have quite a bit of free will to choose on our own.

there are some interesting theories about this with regard to why racial differences, while entirely genetically superfluous and meaningless, are the type of things that are instantly the most salient to our perceptual systems and able to be discerned at long distances or even simply from a silhouette

Old Post Dec 9th, 2011 04:55 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

Re: What are the Roots of Prejudice?

Originally posted by darkriddle
I think that nearly all of us have been subjected to prejudism in some manner. Whether it be via religion, race, or nationality, prejudice still effects the large majority of us in some ways, even in a modern age.

My question is whether or not we need to redefine prejudice in an age that is taking so many different cultural changes?

Social class prejudice has always existed as well, with the proverbial peasant class being shunned by the middle class and high class. In medieval times, this was extremely evident in Europe and Japan. Is it still that definable in modern nations?

Also, the gender issues have stepped into the prejudice fray with often confusing ethical dilemmas. Gay, trans-gender, and bisexuals compel a new set of moral puzzles as the issue of "acceptance" comes into play.

Do political agendas really have the right to legalize what is considered acceptable? If the republicans win the elections (in America) do they have the right to initiate a ban on personal relationships (i.e. Civil Unions & such) and if so, is this not a form of legislative prejudice?

On a macro-social level, ideas about prejudice now stem into prehistory with some anthropologists believing that our species killed off the Neanderthals and many other hominid species due to a competitive drive fueled by prejudice. Is this true?

Prejudice on a micro-social level also seems to be a key component on overtly dangerous "Bullying" where children are often beat severely, and in ever growing cases, actually killed.

Is there a "cure" for prejudice out there, or in us? Or are we so linked to our primeval instincts that we can never truly obliterate the prejudice drive within our species?

Sight..to see ... The root of the problem could be your Eyes.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 11:44 PM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by alltoomany
Sight..to see ... The root of the problem could be your Eyes.

That's all kinds of dumb.

Originally posted by darkriddle
I like what you said about the cures - and the difficulty in "applying" them. (Is that a correct way to view it?) However, I don't want to steer it toward gay marriage (though I do think that's a valid point as well) or any "particular" prejudice issue but prejudice on a generic level.

I will be bringing up many different types of circumstances to convey prejudice and how flexible it can be in destroying peoples lives.

What do you think about the role prejudice played in our more recent genocides -- like Rwanda? Would it be a fair assessment to say that the genocide in Rwanda Africa was an example of extreme prejudice wining over national/social logic? Could the same be said of the Serb/Muslim crisis?

I do not know the answers, but would like to consider other opinions on such things.

It relates back to the last of my three original points. The genetic tendency to create in-groups is powerful and takes all sorts of forms. Education and Perspective can mitigate it somewhat, but not entirely. We're still prone to value those in "our circles" more than others, regardless of how enlightened we are. It's a problem that can only be blunted, not solved entirely.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2012 12:24 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arash010

lack of education, RACISM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2012 07:19 AM
Arash010 is currently offline Click here to Send Arash010 a Private Message Find more posts by Arash010 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

^ prejudice is the source of racism actually

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 12:57 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I remember going to primary school with an attendance of 99.

Regardless of racial, religious and cultural beliefs everybody was family in the end.

When I went to High School I watched the friends who went with me naturally converge with racial groups...I was shocked! This school had up to 1000 students.

In due time they diverged to people with similar interests whilst I just roamed between as many as I could. Sometimes some of their members would instantly shun me but I tended to get along with everybody.

I can't say what my point is. But community is the key regardless of race and creed.

I think this closed off lifestyle based on entertainment and comfort in our own homes is the downfall of society that embraces consumerism and escapism that's for sure. And societies forced hardship through career can make people not smell the flowers and embrace the people around them. Separation through caste systems is a big no no as well.

There is no right answer for a perfect society. Countries that embrace overpopulation in the name of competition may have deep camaraderie but just breeds war in the end with everybody else.

Someone once told me that you'll never be at peace with the world until you are at peace with yourself. I just wish everybody else knew that.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2012 06:45 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

bump

Old Post Dec 8th, 2012 08:56 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

This.

I don't feel it matters how well educated some people are as long as there is free will there will be Prejudice and Racism. Education may help the problem but it most certainly won't solve it. There can be so many variables causing someone to hate like this and some of them are simply to hate because they wish to hate. Some people may even fully understand the things they are prejudice against, accept them as normal people and still just not want to be anywhere near them. Im not trying to pick on the Homosexual populace here but some people may understand and agree they deserve equal rights but still not like them.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Dec 8th, 2012 04:57 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote