KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Our Star

Our Star
Started by: D-Wag

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
D-Wag

Love Our Star

This might not be the right forum for this topic but I like thinkers wink

I believe if there was something as simple as a timer counting down over our sun, giving us approximately the current duration we have left until our sun dies/destroys us. We would implement the way we live life totally different as a human race.

How do you view this concept and reality?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 31st, 2011 04:16 PM
D-Wag is currently offline Click here to Send D-Wag a Private Message Find more posts by D-Wag Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

If our days were limited then it would certainly change the way we would live. Hopefully making the best of the time we have and build a space ship too. lol

Old Post Jan 1st, 2012 03:51 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Five billion years? That's a big number. People don't have a way of imagining a span of time that long. Fantasy writers have trouble keeping track of timelines only a few thousand years long.

That's two hundred million generations.
That's longer than it took us to go from bacteria to humans.

Doomsday clocks need to be more tangible than the death of the sun.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2012 04:51 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

I highly doubt humans as we know them will exist when the sun dies.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2012 06:34 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by D-Wag
I believe if there was something as simple as a timer counting down over our sun, giving us approximately the current duration we have left until our sun dies/destroys us. We would implement the way we live life totally different as a human race.
We already know how much longer the Sun will last, and it's making no apparent difference at all in how we conduct ourselves. Humans are basically ESTs: emotional short-term thinkers, creating problems for our children and grandchildren to solve, less than a century off. What's going to happen gigayears from now is meaningless compared to quarterly market reports.

That aside: Happy New Year, y'all.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2012 02:40 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Oh, we were talking about billions of years. I was thinking something like 150 years or so.

I think I'll go back to what I was doing now.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2012 04:01 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Originally posted by King Kandy
I highly doubt humans as we know them will exist when the sun dies.

Since we don't know when the end of the world is coming it may or may not die before we are dead.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2012 06:39 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Global warming is junk science!

Old Post Jan 4th, 2012 06:47 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Since we don't know when the end of the world is coming it may or may not die before we are dead.

Well, we do know the approximate lifespan of our sun. It's also unlikely that a world-destroying event would take place in this lifetime that would eradicate all life. Saying it could, or that we don't know, is technically true. But every day we live our lives based on statistical likelihoods...otherwise we would never get out of bed in the morning, for fear of death.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2012 03:44 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Wag

At times I feel like were sooo deep into our current economy and government system that until something tragic happens were going to be traveling down the same path for hundreds of years to come.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2012 09:26 PM
D-Wag is currently offline Click here to Send D-Wag a Private Message Find more posts by D-Wag Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by D-Wag
At times I feel like were sooo deep into our current economy and government system that until something tragic happens were going to be traveling down the same path for hundreds of years to come.

Betting on stability for hundreds of years has always been a losing bet.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2012 09:47 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Originally posted by Digi
Well, we do know the approximate lifespan of our sun. It's also unlikely that a world-destroying event would take place in this lifetime that would eradicate all life. Saying it could, or that we don't know, is technically true. But every day we live our lives based on statistical likelihoods...otherwise we would never get out of bed in the morning, for fear of death.

Maybe but I still don't think we will know when the earth ends or about the sun but I do see what you are saying.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2012 02:12 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

By the time the sun ends, we should have evolved into super humans. If we needed another sun, galactic travel would also be available.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 08:38 PM
JediRobin23 is currently offline Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote