KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Do we only practice morality to enjoy a better afterlife?

Do we only practice morality to enjoy a better afterlife?
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Do we only practice morality to enjoy a better afterlife?

Honestly, I always thought "The Ring of Gyges" served as a good anecdote for this situation.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 04:18 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Do we only practice morality to enjoy a better afterlife?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lestov16
Honestly, I always thought "The Ring of Gyges" served as a good anecdote for this situation.

No. We practice morality to enjoy this life.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2012 04:20 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

My morals is what makes me feel good and be myself.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 04:52 AM
Arhael is currently offline Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I don't believe there is an afterlife. I try to do good things because I feel they are right, not because I feel I will be rewarded after I die.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 12:15 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

My morals are a more or less what I find to be a convenient simulation of the social-cognitive neuroscientific model with more of an emphasis on empathy.

I suppose it's what has kept me alive in the hood for so long, or at the very least that's what I like to think.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 09:59 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Astner
My morals are [s]a[/s] more or less what I find to be a convenient simulation of the social-cognitive neuroscientific model with more of an emphasis on empathy.

I suppose it's what has kept me alive in the hood for so long, or at the very least that's what I like to think.

Fixed.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 11:26 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

I think most people practice popular morality because it makes for a more ordered society. Regardless, those who can live by alternative moral standards due to position, influence, etc often do. America was founded as a bastion of freedom from the oppressive rule of monarchy, yet only decades into its settlement slavery became the norm and the wealthy taxed the poor rather than themselves with neither being seen as immoral and with the practitioners touting their love of God the whole time.

Anyway, going off on a tangent there. I am certainly thankful to science/philosophy and open discussion for the changes that they have made in the moral landscape as a whole despite whatever shortcomings still exist. As best as I can I practice a healthy morality that takes others into consideration because of my study of ethics and adoption of Virtue Ethics. At the end of my life I wish to be able to look back on it and say that it was a life well-lived, that I made sound decisions, and that where possible I left the world a little better than when I came into it.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 05:45 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Astner
social-cognitive neuroscientific model

laughing

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 05:58 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I don't want to be imprisoned.

If there were no consequences for my actions I would do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 06:17 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

morality is almost certainly based on genetics. More superfluous things, like wardrobe laws or dietary concerns are probably a reflection of culture (and generally outside of what the OP is talking about anyways), but the more core "moral" issues (theft, rape, murder, etc) are nearly assuredly a product of natural selection.

There is an arms race between social regulation of behaviour and an individual's ability to deceive the group, but studies tend to show people have an innate sense of fairness that transcends being observed by others. A "ring-of-gyges" scenario may produce a person somewhat more inclined to violate others for personal gain, it certainly wouldn't change their individual moral code.

I don't believe there are people who are currently not committing murder, rape, serious interpersonal theft that would suddenly start doing it if they thought they wouldn't be caught. Criminals, almost tautologically, don't think they will be caught, or these crimes are of a nature that the consequences for the action are rarely considered (murder is often a crime of passion).

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 06:28 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by inimalist
morality is almost certainly based on genetics. More superfluous things, like wardrobe laws or dietary concerns are probably a reflection of culture (and generally outside of what the OP is talking about anyways), but the more core "moral" issues (theft, rape, murder, etc) are nearly assuredly a product of natural selection.

There is an arms race between social regulation of behaviour and an individual's ability to deceive the group, but studies tend to show people have an innate sense of fairness that transcends being observed by others. A "ring-of-gyges" scenario may produce a person somewhat more inclined to violate others for personal gain, it certainly wouldn't change their individual moral code.

I don't believe there are people who are currently not committing murder, rape, serious interpersonal theft that would suddenly start doing it if they thought they wouldn't be caught. Criminals, almost tautologically, don't think they will be caught, or these crimes are of a nature that the consequences for the action are rarely considered (murder is often a crime of passion).
Have you read the book The Sociopath Nextdoor?

They basically argue that some non-violent sociopaths specifically don't do actions because they are afraid of being caught, however, without the limitations of laws they would act on their impulses.

It's a pretty good book.

Not exactly sure on it's accuracy, though. The study of sociopathy is pretty abstract anyway, since no one truly understands it.

Btw, I will murder and rape you in that order.

Last edited by Mindset on Jul 6th, 2012 at 04:41 AM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 04:37 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

of course most people do

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:20 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Most people want to murder and rape inimalist!?

I call dibs!

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:31 AM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Mindset
Have you read the book The Sociopath Nextdoor?

They basically argue that some non-violent sociopaths specifically don't do actions because they are afraid of being caught, however, without the limitations of laws they would act on their impulses.

It's a pretty good book.

Not exactly sure on it's accuracy, though. The study of sociopathy is pretty abstract anyway, since no one truly understands it.

sure, but in this case, we are talking about abnormal individuals (abnormal in the clinical psych way, as in, "something wrong" with their brain).

Like, intelligence is at least partially genetic, but there are people who are born with abnormal neurology that prevents them from becoming intelligent. Similar things could be said about language, movement, etc.

Additionally, though I'm not sure if sociopathy is more genetic or developmental, I'd be astounded if genes didn't play some role in the moral behaviour of sociopaths.

To be fair, I'm not actually suggesting that our genetics make us behave in morally "good" ways, just that our morality is based on our evolution. We are only as moral as we needed to be to pass on our genes, and in most cases, this produces pro-social behaviour, altruism, etc. It also produces selfishness and deception, and given sociopaths weren't weeded out by natural selection, there is clearly some (though not a great) advantage to that type of amoral behaviour.

I haven't read the book, but I'd suggest its not so much laws, but basic group expectations of behaviour. And in many ways, we all have these types of constraints. The reason I don't roll a fatty at my desk is because I'd be fired, not because I think there is anything inherently wrong with it.

Btw, I will murder and rape you in that order.

if I'm dead I'm not worried too much about the rape... I'd actually be glad someone found a use for my now purposeless flesh.

besides, is it rape if the person is an inanimate object? thats like saying you could rape a statue.

Most people want to murder and rape inimalist!?

I'm not surprised, frankly

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 06:03 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 07:27 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by inimalist
sure, but in this case, we are talking about abnormal individuals (abnormal in the clinical psych way, as in, "something wrong" with their brain).

Like, intelligence is at least partially genetic, but there are people who are born with abnormal neurology that prevents them from becoming intelligent. Similar things could be said about language, movement, etc.

Additionally, though I'm not sure if sociopathy is more genetic or developmental, I'd be astounded if genes didn't play some role in the moral behaviour of sociopaths.

To be fair, I'm not actually suggesting that our genetics make us behave in morally "good" ways, just that our morality is based on our evolution. We are only as moral as we needed to be to pass on our genes, and in most cases, this produces pro-social behaviour, altruism, etc. It also produces selfishness and deception, and given sociopaths weren't weeded out by natural selection, there is clearly some (though not a great) advantage to that type of amoral behaviour.

I haven't read the book, but I'd suggest its not so much laws, but basic group expectations of behaviour. And in many ways, we all have these types of constraints. The reason I don't roll a fatty at my desk is because I'd be fired, not because I think there is anything inherently wrong with it.

if I'm dead I'm not worried too much about the rape... I'd actually be glad someone found a use for my now purposeless flesh.

besides, is it rape if the person is an inanimate object? thats like saying you could rape a statue.

I'm not surprised, frankly
Well, sociopathy isn't really understood. There are some people who are born with no conscientious at all, with no ability to differentiate between the concepts of what we consider right and wrong, and there are those that understand them, but feel no need to restrict their actions because of them. They have tested people who they believe show an abnormality that exhibit the signs of sociopathy, but there really isn't a test to determine it, like you would a virus, for example.

Again, they don't know. There have been some cases where very young children with no cases of abuse or neglect show the symptoms of sociopathy, and there are those who have been mistrusted and end up being sociopaths. Like with most things, it's probably a combination of nature and nurture.

Yes, if the general populous did not have some kind of moral coherency we couldn't function, however, the case was made in the book that a sociopath would be able to manipulate those around them to attain their own goals. For the few I'd say that makes them the mental "apex predator". Which I think is what you're getting at.

It just gives a general idea of how a sociopath would approach situations. Both laws and socially held moral beliefs. For instance, a non-violent sociopath has no problem with intentionally bankrupting people living them homeless, or giving cancer patients water instead of chemo if they don't think they would be caught. These are both morally and legally wrong.

It sounds like you want me to rape you first. I'll oblige.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2012 12:29 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Personally, because I care about others. The happiness and suffering of other human beings matter to me such that I would seek, when possible, to increase their happiness and decrease their suffering.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2012 09:35 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I practice morality when's it convenient to do so.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2012 07:31 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

For threat title; not everybody thinks like this.

Afterlife is just one aspect to consider and is a motivational factor for the living to reform themselves.

Morality is actually beneficial to living.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2012 10:59 AM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

To the individual or to society?

Old Post Oct 5th, 2012 09:57 PM