KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Why Uber AI would offer us immortality and a Utopia

Why Uber AI would offer us immortality and a Utopia
Started by: Dolos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why Uber AI would offer us immortality and a Utopia

Computer chips communicate signals at smaller levels than the human brain. 20 teraflops. 20 trillion 100% accurate calculations per second.

Do you know what kind of damage too much processing can do to these nanoscopic silicon chips? Enough to fry them. The human brain doesn't have this problem, our mental processes are superior, a single human being can comprehend an "I", we are conscious and computers are not. We can do more with FAR less. Modern computers are about as smart as an ant.

It uses all its energy at once, the human brain uses its energy sparingly. Software sophisticated enough to allow a computer to process information in a way that gives it the capability to question its own operations, and be a self-aware and sentient thing, are possible in the near-future. But to truly transcend, super-human AI will need a layout of the human cognome, it will need to know our brains better than we do.

So it will build a place for us to recreate. At what point does the human brain learn fastest? When recreating. A child learns so much faster when playing than an adult does on the job with stressers being the only drive, and the drive of creativity is far more powerful a stimuli than the drive to pay the bills. In that, manipulating our world, learning its mechanics, in doing that our brains form a reward from invention. Learning is a more powerful drug than adrenaline. Evolution has designed us, above all else, to create. Learning is a more rewarding experience than a epinephrine and dopamine rush. To put that into perspective; adrenaline is our fight or flight mechanism, the most powerful chemical drug in the world (it allows women to give birth), infinitely more powerful than any other stimuli ever to exist: And yet learning is even more rewarding than that. We're designed to evolve.

Strong AI will need to augment humans, allow our dna strands, every last one, to grow both ways, deleting malignant mutations and perpetuating brain-enhancing mutations. Immortality, and creation will be vital tools for its observation, so it can collect the data of our mental processes to add to its software and allow it to accelerate.

There is an infinitely worthwhile (in my mind at least) consequence of this, however. Once it is able to increase its own software faster than observation of our most heightened and enhanced mental processes, it will assimilate our collective neural network and recycle our bodily fluids and Utopias back into energy as efficiently as possible. After perhaps a millennium of perpetual Utopia, our reign will be at an end. Worthwhile when compared to a world not controlled by Strong AI; a world of corporate hierarchy, national inequality (unnecessary division of living standards), unnecessary butchering of wildlife and polluting food products by bottle-necking chickens and injecting them with hormones to make them docile, which makes us docile and miserable once consumed, and subservient, accepting, and almost thankful for unnecessary work and to livelihoods of perpetuating labor and debt) and pollution, unnecessary labor, broken homes, jealousy, debt, war, violence, increasing stress, and suffering: Wouldn't you say?

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 24th, 2013 at 05:04 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 04:55 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

The biggest travesty of all is the sickness of modern life.

The hypothalamus-pituitary gland is completely dysfunctional in most human beings, I'd postulate. If it's not, without a paradigm shift in our way of life liken to a Strong AI governed post-scarcity economy, I guarantee you it will be. We will sort of revert back to a living standard worse than that of the paleolithic man: You know, the guys who endured excess stress and trauma to the point where life-expectancy was reduced to 20? But here's the main thing, life will be more draining than it was for our ancestors. It won't be physical stress, but metal stress and instead of raw animals, fruits and veggies, we'll be grazing factory food capable of shutting down our metabolism and ruining our HPG function. Which is far, far, far more detrimental to progress. How can a bunch of nocturnal mental-zombies be creative?

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 24th, 2013 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 05:41 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dolos
The hypothalamus-pituitary gland is completely dysfunctional in most human beings, I'd postulate.

What? Why?

We will sort of revert back to a living standard worse than that of the paleolithic man: You know, the guys who endured excess stress and trauma to the point where life-expectancy was reduced to 20?

a) You just said the modern life was sick.
b) It was never true that adult life expectancy was twenty.

But here's the main thing, life will be more draining than it was for our ancestors. It won't be physical stress, but metal stress and instead of raw animals, fruits and veggies, we'll be grazing factory food capable of shutting down our metabolism and ruining our HPG function. Which is far, far, far more detrimental to progress. How can a bunch of nocturnal mental-zombies be creative?

But you believe that people who eat raw food all died in their twenties . . .

Are you sure you know what the word "nocturnal" means, by the way?

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 06:01 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
What? Why

Because of lifestyle, eating habits, work hours, type of work, it's very detrimental.

quote:
a) You just said the modern life was sick.

It is.
quote:

What was it? What is it now? Has it increased more than three decades. The inconsequential minutiae of nitpicking is worthless in rebuking my theses.

quote:
But you believe that people who eat raw food all died in their twenties . . .

Not because of what they ate but because of how rough life was on their bodies. If it wasn't putting themselves in harms way for food, it was starving.

quote:
Are you sure you know what the word "nocturnal" means, by the way?

Fittingly it's sleeping in the day and living life mainly when it's dark out. Polar opposite of what we're designed for.

Nighttime eating disorder is caused by HPG dysfunction, too much khrelin, not enough leptin. Deficiencies in:

Glycine

Ornithine

Arginine

Lysine

^These are essential amino acids that can stall aging, even. We're ruining our brain's ability to function.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 24th, 2013 at 06:12 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 06:07 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Why Uber AI would offer us immortality and a Utopia

It uses all its energy at once

Computers do not use all their energy at once. We have a different word for things that do that. See if you can guess it.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Explosives

the human brain uses its energy sparingly

By any standard you can think of the human brain uses energy greedily and inefficiently, compared to a computer.

the human cognome

We already have a database that contains hundreds of family names from Italy.

A child learns so much faster when playing than an adult does on the job

Because as we all know children are physiologically identical to adults and the skills gained during play are identical to the skills gained and used in adult life.

Learning is a more powerful drug than adrenaline.

Dopamine and serotonin are certainly more pleasant than adrenaline.

Evolution has designed us, above all else, to create.

Evolution has designed us to not die and then produce offspring.

adrenaline .... allows women to give birth

laughing

a world of corporate hierarchy, national inequality (unnecessary division of living standards), unnecessary butchering of wildlife and polluting food products by bottle-necking chickens and injecting them with hormones to make them docile, which makes us docile and miserable once consumed, and subservient, accepting, and almost thankful for unnecessary work and to livelihoods of perpetuating labor and debt) and pollution, unnecessary labor, broken homes, jealousy, debt, war, violence, increasing stress, and suffering

I'm more concerned by a world with dangling close parenthesis. I mean I get a danging open parenthesis but how did that happen? Did you stream of consciousness that and get to the end of a thought and realize you had gotten side tracked? Of course that doesn't make much sense since you're talking about something that is central to your argument.

Mainly this makes me think that comma delimited lists are a poor way to represent written information in a way that is supposed to have emotional impact. Impassioned speech writing (see: MLK & Hitler et al.) translates poorly to a format where people have time to think and respond critically. I'm sure that a dramatic reading of Time Cube would sway people much better handing them Time Cube flyers.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 06:19 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Why Uber AI would offer us immortality and a Utopia

Computers do not use all their energy at once.

As in focus on a task, that does indeed produce thermal energy? They sure do.

quote:
By any standard you can think of the human brain uses energy greedily and inefficiently, compared to a computer.

Yet our adaptive perception allows for things like metaconsciousness to emerge. Which is, in fact, advantageous on a cognitive level.

quote:
We already have a database that contains hundreds of family names from Italy.

Cognition, not congeniality.

quote:
Because as we all know children are physiologically identical to adults and the skills gained during play are identical to the skills gained and used in adult life.

Okay, so if children are physiologically predisposed to be more creative, a) and, physiology can be altered by environmental and genetic factors, b) and, Strong AI can manipulate our environment into a Utopia and our genetics will be altered through natural selection of creative developments in epigeneses, c): Then perhaps we adults should be more like kids. Free to experience a greater range of perception.

quote:
Dopamine and serotonin are certainly more pleasant than adrenaline.

Those are hormones released from sore muscles after adrenaline has subsided. Apropos, greater adrenaline and stress can yield greater dopamine release.

quote:
Evolution has designed us to not die and then produce offspring.

It's also produced the human brain.

quote:
laughing

Why don't you take away a woman's ability to make adrenaline and see how she fairs during labor?

quote:
I'm more concerned by a world with dangling close parenthesis. I mean I get a danging open parenthesis but how did that happen?

The link was to a cinematic scene of labor in third world countries, an example of national inequality in living standard. That is useless, because with ample organization and currently viable and implementable post-scarcity solutions, we have the resources to take each and every one of those laborers out of there and add them to our decadent living standards and still get products.

Only with a difference in setup.

quote:
Mainly this makes me think that comma delimited lists are a poor way to represent written information in a way that is supposed to have emotional impact. Impassioned speech writing (see: MLK & Hitler et al.) translates poorly to a format where people have time to think and respond critically. I'm sure that a dramatic reading of Time Cube would sway people much better handing them Time Cube flyers.

Noted.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 24th, 2013 at 06:47 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 06:43 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Why Uber AI would offer us immortality and a Utopia

I may be double posting to break down my own mistakes before you can.

This will cement certain mistakes as typos and NOT illiteracy; and, it will allow for you to better comprehend my side of our juxtaposition.

Those are hormones

Chemicals.

quote:

The link was to a cinematic scene of labor in third world countries, an example of national inequality in living standard. That is useless, because with ample organization and currently viable and implementable post-scarcity solutions, we have the resources to take each and every one of those laborers out of there and add them to our decadent living standards and still get products.

Only with a difference in setup.

So, if I were to correct the two never ending monologues between parentheses, I would have replaced the "delimited commas" and vocab words with the monologue above embedded with a hyperlink to the "sorcerer life" cinematic Noqoyasqatsi.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 24th, 2013 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2013 07:11 PM
tsilamini

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 12:10 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Oliver North
http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Neu...textboo
k
$97? F*ck you, Dolos. How do you afford such ridiculousness?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 04:16 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

One day I'll read every text related to science. May take decades. Maybe I'll die before I have the opportunity, but if I don't, it's my intention. I'll catch up with the the ever-evolving, ever-changing omnibus that is science - absorbing knowledge more quickly than the world's accumulating scientific understanding can change. I'd have to be able to read and comprehend extremely fast. Faster than I currently can, at least.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 25th, 2013 at 03:06 PM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 03:03 PM
Bardock42

Uber has just received immense investment by Google Ventures.

One day I'll read every text related to science

ide

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 03:05 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42
Uber

"Strong" didn't do a justice for this kind of AI.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 03:07 PM
Bardock42

Pretty good AI?

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 04:51 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
$97?

can you really put a price tag on knowledge?

One day I'll read every text related to science.

that is sort of my point. read first, come up with theories second.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 06:21 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

that is sort of my point. read first, come up with theories second.
My theories here, like always, are those of others who've gone through the empirical process in their respective scientific endeavors. These are philosophies and ideologies at their core; theories not meant to go unquestioned, but indeed theories to be questioned as SM has.

Experts of a multitude of separate studies of research, ofttimes with no collaboration in their research as their studies are over completely different fields of science, coming to a commonly optimistic perspective of the future's technological potential.

Of course that is to be expected in any time, but I'm not making anything up, unless they are. Which is a possibility I'd have to accept when my scrutiny of these theories reveal the truth.

For now this is a way for me to express my creative potential in technological innovation to free us from unnecessary troubles by re-imagining many techno-progressive concepts.

Please, shoot me down. Keep me level.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 25th, 2013 at 07:50 PM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2013 07:35 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yes! If it takes a whole shift at McDonalds to pay for.

Please, shoot me down. Keep me level.
You're going to die before you accomplish anything of worth.

Am I helping? Was that too pessimistic?

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 04:03 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yes! If it takes a whole shift at McDonalds to pay for.

Knowledge should be free, in my mind.

quote:
You're going to die before you accomplish anything of worth.

Am I helping? Was that too pessimistic?

First, with - a super-stimulant induced soaring IQ that would make Daniel Tammet and the great Johann Wolfgang Von Geothe shutter, and a macrobiotic-pill popper (stimulating HGH far longer than otherwise possible) life of meditative yoga and isolation from stress - anything's possible.

Second, you can never be too pessimistic because of Murphy's law. I encourage you to be as real and gritty as fathomable, so that I can be prepared.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 04:50 AM
Bardock42

On the topic of reading every text related to science.

This is the arxiv page of new submissions of the day for the subtopic of astrophysics. It's 40 new papers at the time of this writing. http://arxiv.org/list/astro-ph/new

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 07:47 AM
dadudemon

1. I have never heard of an "adult life expectancy." It has always been just "life expectancy."* And, yes, the life expectancy has been as low as 18, before, in our human history and in some populations.

2. I remember one anthropologist saying that by the time our early female ancestors reached 18, they had already had 3 children, on average. That statement was made in reference or in countermeasure to the point in #1.

*I have heard of life expectancy "at 18" or other ages. That measure basically tells a person how much longer they can expect to live, on average.

Computers do not use all their energy at once. We have a different word for things that do that. See if you can guess it.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Explosives

And these capacitors

A child learns so much faster when playing than an adult does on the job with stressers being the only drive, and the drive of creativity is far more powerful a stimuli than the drive to pay the bills.

That's not really true, actually.

And adult can learn pretty much everything faster than a child (assuming both the child and the adult are normal).

Last edited by dadudemon on Aug 26th, 2013 at 01:03 PM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 12:53 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
1. I have never heard of an "adult life expectancy." It has always been just "life expectancy."* And, yes, the life expectancy has been as low as 18, before, in our human history and in some populations.

*I have heard of life expectancy "at 18" or other ages. That measure basically tells a person how much longer they can expect to live, on average.

No, "life expectancy" tells you how long a person will live on average and has the potential to be an extremely skewed number. Keep in mind that many cultural refused to even name children early in life (several months) because child and infant death was so frequent.

Adult life expectancy (or life expectancy at age ya-da ya-da ya-da) tells you how you should expect an adult to be which is a much more useful piece of information. To drop the "life expectancy" number unqualified shows either ignorance or a desire to deceive.

2. I remember one anthropologist saying that by the time our early female ancestors reached 18, they had already had 3 children, on average. That statement was made in reference or in countermeasure to the point in #1.

Citation? Not out of incredulity, by the way, that number sounds entirely reasonable, its just that if anthropologists are anything like biologists those numbers can be extremely difficult to interpret.

And these capacitors

Heh, true, but then I know physicists who refuse to buy electric cars because they're "basically just rolling bombs".

That's not really true, actually.

And adult can learn pretty much everything faster than a child (assuming both the child and the adult are normal).

Faster and better?

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about but bear with me for a second. People can quickly learn impressive tricks that don't involve much actual knowledge or skill. Mental math is the best example: You can train a person to multiply three digit numbers in their head without them learning a great deal of math, and people will find them very clever.

In the same way I expect that adults have an arsenal of tricks they can employ on a variety of subject that involve minimal knowledge. This would explain why adults nigh-instantly learn nouns and verbs in foreign languages but struggle with even grammar. Learning the words is the equivalent of mental math, an impressive trick that's really very shallow.

A child, on the other hand, will develop an ear for the language, something that even linguistically skilled adults seem to find impossible. Only focused accent training will get rid of the "L/R" conflation in a native Japanese speaker and as far as I know no amount of training will make a native English speak hear the difference between "retroflex t/dental t" in Hindi. A child will also develop the ability to make grammatically accurate error (the drawers are in the knife/the knives are in the drawer) while I'm not sure adults ever gain that kind of mastery of a languages grammar.

Obviously we can take this outside of language but since children are weaker and less coordinated its a bit harder. (Also psychology doesn't provide me with an arsenal of quick counter examples!)

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2013 01:39 PM