KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » If person A has 100 times more money than person B

If person A has 100 times more money than person B
Started by: Archaeopteryx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Archaeopteryx

Is person A, as a general rule, 100 times happier than person B?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 06:10 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Think of it this way: If person B is $100,000 in debt, than person A needs to come up with one thousand dollars to get out of debt.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Aug 30th, 2013 at 06:29 PM

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 06:17 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx

No. There are studies that show that there is not much increase in happiness after a certain limit of wealth (US middle class wealth about) is attained.

Though, I am parroting this popsci fact like a good little sheep, cause I have no idea how they define happiness...

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:15 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Originally posted by Dolos
Think of it this way: If person B is $100,000 in debt, than person A needs to come up with one thousand dollars to get out of debt.

Your reply is not relevant to the question the thread is about. I can be millions in debt but perfectly happy knowing a good bankruptcy lawyer will help me not have to pay.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:27 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by Dolos
Having money or the lack thereof =/= Being in debt.

You're discussing a related but different scenario.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:30 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bardock42
No. There are studies that show that there is not much increase in happiness after a certain limit of wealth (US middle class wealth about) is attained.

Though, I am parroting this popsci fact like a good little sheep, cause I have no idea how they define happiness...

It was much higher than that. But there was diminishing returns after a certain point.

Edit - Nope, I'm wrong, too.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sc...pier-2013-04-30

It would appear you just get happier and happier but I am certain you get less happier with more more than a previous increment. No?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:31 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Only the insane are happy.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:33 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

the issue is really how you define happiness followed by what Bardock said.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:36 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Oliver, are you happy?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:38 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Mindset
Oliver, are you happy?

when I drink?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 07:48 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: If person A has 100 times more money than person B

I doubt it.

Consider: A has $1; B has $0.01
An essentially meaningless difference in net worth.

Consider: A has $100,000,000; B has $1,000,000
Both are extraordinarily wealth and you'd expect the marginal value of the extra money to be quite low.

Consider: A has $100,000; B has $1000
Here is the approximate range where it would make sense for A to be much happier than B.

I'm not sure exactly how happiness is measured but I've seen example of scales where people were asked to rate their happiness from 1 to 10 and those surveys showed little to no difference due to things like wealth.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 08:15 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 08:16 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I doubt it.

Consider: A has $1; B has $0.01
An essentially meaningless difference in net worth.

Consider: A has $100,000,000; B has $1,000,000
Both are extraordinarily wealth and you'd expect the marginal value of the extra money to be quite low.

Consider: A has $100,000; B has $1000
Here is the approximate range where it would make sense for A to be much happier than B.

I'm not sure exactly how happiness is measured but I've seen example of scales where people were asked to rate their happiness from 1 to 10 and those surveys showed little to no difference due to things like wealth.

If you rate out of ten (1-10 with natural numbers) no one can possibly be 100 times more happy than anyone else, so that would be a no by default

Originally posted by dadudemon
It was much higher than that. But there was diminishing returns after a certain point.

Edit - Nope, I'm wrong, too.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sc...pier-2013-04-30

It would appear you just get happier and happier but I am certain you get less happier with more more than a previous increment. No?

Yeah, well you can find studies for everything right?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 08:33 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, well you can find studies for everything right?

Peer reviewed and results duplicated studies by unbiased 3rd parties who have no interest in duplicating or rejecting the results?

Yeah, those types of validation are certinaly rare to come by. sad

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 08:58 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Peer reviewed and results duplicated studies by unbiased 3rd parties who have no interest in duplicating or rejecting the results?

Yeah, those types of validation are certinaly rare to come by. sad

lol, they really aren't.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 09:01 PM
Mindset

Originally posted by Oliver North
when I drink?
thumb up

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 09:59 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

They describe the relationship as being log-linear which means it slows down as you go further along it. I'm not sure the results make any sense as reported, though.

If the highest rating is "Very Happy" then when you reach a point where 100% of people report being "Very Happy" (which they did) then you've reached the limits of your scale. Without a more detailed scale it's ridiculous to say that it goes up without measure.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 10:38 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

That has not been my experience. At best he (or she) is a bit happier when it comes to managing the ordinary stuff, like having the cash to pay bills. However, when it comes to self-worth, self-esteem as related to quantity of cash, he/she is likely to be more insecure, anxious and frustrated.

No one gets out alive.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 12:51 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

As long as person B's basic needs are met, according to Maslow's Hierarchy [ooh technical sociological term] I see no reason why A and B can't have the same amount of happiness.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 01:03 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: If person A has 100 times more money than person B

Most happiness studies don't have mathematical scales...

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 04:04 PM
Master Han is currently offline Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote