KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is "Chivalry" Sexist?

Is "Chivalry" Sexist?
Started by: MF DELPH

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Is "Chivalry" Sexist?

Been having a conversation along these lines with a couple friends and I figured I'd toss it out for board consumption:

Is Chivalry, as in giving women special treatment essentially for the sake of them being women, actually sexist and degrading to Women?

The discussion has been in regards to Women being the equals of Men, and thus needing to be treated as equals to Men, but then the social mores of "Women and Children First", etc., and the patronizing that follows therein (like when members of both genders play up women being "more emotional" [which I personally find demeaning to women]). Is this point of view wrong? Is Chivalry patronizing and not equal treatment of Women? Should you treat Women as you would treat Men in the same circumstances?

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 07:06 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe treating all humans with kindness and equality unless I want to **** them, then chivalry.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 08:12 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Sexist? Not necessarily. For myself, offering, say, one's subway seat to a woman, is a gesture of kindness, same as offering it to, say, a senior citizen (would that be "ageist?"). People who object to this sort of courtesy, I suspect, have "self-esteem issues."

Men and women are equal in status, no question about it. But clearly, they are not equal, down the line, in each and every ability. There are also, it seems, many women who try to have it both ways. Eg, "I am your equal, but I still expect you to pay for dinner."

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 08:26 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
Sexist? Not necessarily. For myself, offering, say, one's subway seat to a woman, is a gesture of kindness, same as offering it to, say, a senior citizen (would that be "ageist?"). People who object to this sort of courtesy, I suspect, have "self-esteem issues."

Men and women are equal in status, no question about it. But clearly, they are not equal, down the line, in each and every ability. There are also, it seems, many women who try to have it both ways. Eg, "I am your equal, but I still expect you to pay for dinner."
That reminds me "They say they want to be equal but if you listen closely... they only want the good sh!t. Pay for dinner? Nah fuk that". Bill Burr.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 09:01 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Chivalry is sexist- just not to women. Chivalry is basically sexism toward men.

edit- Hmmm. Actually, I'll think about it for awhile before giving a final answer.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 6th, 2014 at 09:07 PM

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 09:03 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

And what inequality necessitates giving a woman your seat?

Side note: I've never given anyone my seat after I sat down. **** them.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2014 09:13 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by NemeBro
And what inequality necessitates giving a woman your seat?
Woman, elderly, disabled. A child, so s/he can sit next to mom. If I see someone I feel is going to have a tougher time standing out a trip, I offer my seat...unless I'm having one of my at-war-with-the-world moments.

Side note: I've never given anyone my seat after I sat down. **** them.
You're not going to be young and cute forever.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 12:58 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

How do women have an intrinsically harder time standing up then men?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 7th, 2014 at 01:05 AM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:02 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Weaker back muscles, makes balancing harder.

Also bewbs.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:07 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Woman, elderly, disabled. A child, so s/he can sit next to mom. If I see someone I feel is going to have a tougher time standing out a trip, I offer my seat...unless I'm having one of my at-war-with-the-world moments.

So you believe a woman is just as physically disadvantaged as the elderly or the disabled?

quote:
You're not going to be young and cute forever.

Right on the first account, definitely wrong on the second. thumb up

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:20 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Indeed. "Cute forever" implies cuteness at one point in time.

'Bro has been an eldritch monster since conception.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:30 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I feel like this is one of those things that doesn't have a broad answer, just because every situation is different. The context and intent determines the answer.

Last edited by Digi on Aug 7th, 2014 at 01:38 AM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:35 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Thanks for that, Dig.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:40 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by Digi
I feel like this is one of those things that doesn't have a broad answer, just because every situation is different. The context and intent determines the answer.
Spoken like a true misogynist.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 01:41 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Is that your people's way of saying 'gentleman'?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 02:12 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Yes, chivalry is sexist.

Gender equality does not include special dispensation or treatment for women.

Women can stand on public transit just as well as men.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 03:22 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I don't think it really matters whether it's sexist or not anymore, seeing as it's dead as ****.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 03:29 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Being a gentleman is too gay cliche for young ladies these days.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 03:43 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Thanks for that, Dig.

Lol, what? You'd rather I stick my foot in my mouth with a half-baked opinion? For example...
Originally posted by Oneness
Being a gentleman is too gay cliche for young ladies these days.

Anyway...

No, I'm racist, remember?

wink

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 04:36 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I hold the door for women, so i can take a gander at their hineys.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:59 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote