KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Souls, Spirits, and Spirituality

Souls, Spirits, and Spirituality
Started by: MF DELPH

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Souls, Spirits, and Spirituality

What is a soul?

And what does it mean to be "spiritual'?

Discuss.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Oct 20th, 2014 11:06 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I would imagine that in the broadest sense, "spiritual" means going beyond yourself, seeking something bigger to be part of. In religion, that means being closer to God; in society it means charity, putting others' needs before your own. Even "school spirit" means you're there for your school, the institution with all its faculty and fellow students.

In essence, I suppose one could say, to be spiritual is to see, with positive regard, the unity of things.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Oct 21st, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2014 11:41 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

In my work, the spirit is your representation in the spiritual planes (etheric plane, astral plane, etc.) while the soul is your ideal representation. According to the Valascian church the spirit detached itself from the soul with first death of man (spiritual death).

Old Post Oct 21st, 2014 07:51 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This is actually an interesting question from a secular perspective. I've seen writers/thinkers try to co-opt the terms for secular use, redefining "soul" not as an ethereal or divine entity but as a more empirical collection of experiences and thoughts that make up our perception of ourselves. Or sometimes as our imprint on the world; a soul via lasting impressions on others. Same with spirituality, which can exist in a secular context, though what it means exactly will change slightly.

I'm not sure if I endorse such attempts to borrow the terms from religion. I don't disagree with their new definition or usage, but I wonder if religious terms actually need to be co-opted for secular use. Would it just be better to dismiss the concepts entirely? Does it muddy our understanding of empirical concepts to use words that bring with them religious preconceptions?

I have similar issue with determinists co-opting the phrase "free will" for their purposes. To someone with enough background in the topic, "libertarian free will" and "compatibilist free will" make perfect sense. To most, however, it creates confusion, and puts one philosophical camp in the background because the other is more widely understood.

So I tend not to think in such terms. What's a soul to me? I don't know, because I don't believe souls exist in the religious sense, and my worldview precludes the need for me to redefine it for myself. Same with spirituality. If the awe and wonder we feel toward life, and our pursuit of and experience of such feelings, must be defined as spirituality, ok. But it's not how I think of it, nor how it needs to be thought of.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 21st, 2014 at 08:10 PM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2014 08:07 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Souls, Spirits, and Spirituality

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH
What is a soul?

And what does it mean to be "spiritual'?

Discuss.

Its a misunderstanding. People of the past didn't know how our bodies worked, so they made up things to explain what they didn't know. Typical humans.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2014 12:35 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

A soul? To be honest, I wouldn't know. Maybe the archetypical abstract concept of any personality? The schematics that defines us? If humans are made of activities and choices, just like fictional characters are made from descriptions and verbs, then a soul would be the impression left by what we do. By definition it would go further than our actual existence, but it would be correlated to us.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Its a misunderstanding. People of the past didn't know how our bodies worked, so they made up things to explain what they didn't know. Typical humans.

Not sure that was it. At times I feel we ride a bit too much on our ancestors saying they believed stuff literaly and they used it as an excuse to ignorance. Sure, there must've been that kind of idiots in the past, but also people who knew better.

I'm just iffy about that because it sounds like a very simplified take on the subject.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2014 01:05 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Jesus said; "It's what comes out of the body..."

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2014 01:09 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Wonder Man
Jesus said; "It's what comes out of the body..."
I trust he worded it better than that, cuz there are a few things that come out of the body.

-------------------------

As regards a soul...I tend to see "soul" and "self" -- or more precisely, the self-process -- as synonymous. It is the holistic dynamic by which the Absolute ("God") individualizes consciousness (in a non-materialist paradigm). It's two dominant attributes are identification/attachment and dis-identification/detachment. This is how the self-process ascends the developmental ladder, from infancy to childhood to adulthood to (if one is inclined to believe) the transcendent stages.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2014 02:32 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote