KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Morals

Morals
Started by: Genesis-Soldier

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

Morals

some people have them some seem not to
why are morals so flexible in terms of what is acceptable and what isn't and what are the "right" morals to have

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 12:00 PM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Morals are seen as subjective because they are not "rooted" in the physical world like, say, gravity or digestion. And in a culture with a strong secular element, Divine Authority is not universally agreed upon, so again, morals can be seen as relative.

One could say that from an evolutionary viewpoint, some morals work better than others in fostering a long-term, peaceful and prosperous society (eg, murder: bad). But as a rule, people don't consider evolution when discussing moral behavior.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2015 05:56 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

thats a good point, so what would define as the "right" morals to live by or uphold?

but are morals really relevant ?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2015 08:19 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
thats a good point, so what would define as the "right" morals to live by or uphold?
Ultimately, that would depend on what values a society holds, and generally speaking, humans apparently value conditions which promote physical and psychological well-being, for themselves, for family. As such, respecting one another is a good place to start, eg, the Golden Rule.

but are morals really relevant ?
For reasons noted above, I would say yes, especially if one believes morals/ethics originate from a transcendent source.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2015 10:25 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

thank you

Old Post Jul 14th, 2015 12:08 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

smile

Old Post Jul 14th, 2015 06:00 PM
Greatest I am

Religions consider morals to be objective and not subjective.

I tend not to agree with this view but may have stumped myself by thinking that there is the one objective moral.

The one that says that the needs of the many are always to be put before the needs of the few.

My second question is this.

After years now of trying to get Christians and Muslims to think and debate some of their immoral tenets, unsuccessfully for the most part, could it be possible that those in those religions know that they have no arguments for the immoral tenets they follow?

Is their delusion of following the best God leading their mortal or is it just their delusions?

Regards
DL

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 05:18 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

so they are bieng stuck up and just don't want to be proen wrong by the other even though they know they may not have any debating evidence?

yeah p;robs

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:29 PM
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

Morals are loose because society is fluid.

Honestly any set of morals I could give you are revolutionary to some and antiquated to others.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:33 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

that is very true

although there are some morals that have a universal feeling
you see some bloke bashing on another fella or woman. you want to step i there

a child being hurt (as in abused and kicked around in the ribs) you want to **** over the abuser

Old Post Oct 10th, 2015 01:06 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Right and wrong...good and evil, these are just constructs created by us. Thus they can be open to interpretation.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2015 07:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

pretty much

it just depends on the governing values of the time

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 06:51 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Oct 12th, 2015 10:32 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

The golden rule can only apply to those who hold the same values are yourself, such as religious flock or those under the same oath. Otherwise, how do you know that they want what you want or have the same tastes?

Even biblically, it only applied to those within the faith.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 03:23 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Our concepts of morality are largely cultural, which itself is largely an evolutionary byproduct. It's important to keep that in mind; we only possess these concepts in the first place as survival mechanisms. The philosophical quandries of morality are an emergent problem resulting from evolutionary trends, and not necessarily an intended end of the developments in the first place. If you're building a case for relative morality - or, more radically, morality as an artificial construct in a deterministic, morally-devoid universe - that would be where I'd start.

That said...

I think there's probably a system of objective morality that could be judged based on primal opposites like suffering and happiness. In practice, we haven't the ability to do this perfectly. How would we begin to weigh one against the other in "grey" areas? However, it provides a framework from which to work, and one that needs absolutely no favorites among religions or philosophies. Does it cause suffering? Work to end it. Does it create happiness? Pursue it. The entire system could be encapsulated in a sentence and would be theoretically objective, perhaps even subject to empirical study. It could even extend beyond humans, to include any sentient being.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 14th, 2015 at 03:56 AM

Old Post Oct 14th, 2015 03:53 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by long pig
The golden rule can only apply to those who hold the same values are yourself, such as religious flock or those under the same oath. Otherwise, how do you know that they want what you want or have the same tastes?

Even biblically, it only applied to those within the faith.
I'm not so sure you're right about this and I say that because you use the word those when the "golden rule" is directed at individuals and not groups. Whether something that you are doing goes against the golden rule depends totally on who YOU are. If you are doing something to someone that you would definitely not want done to you there is no way to call it a moral act. I've never seen one example where treating someone the way that you want to be treated is an immoral act.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2015 05:05 PM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I've got feelings of guilt by getting involved once.

See below.

Last edited by Esau Cairn on Nov 16th, 2015 at 01:38 AM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 01:33 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I always thought that was "morally" true until one real life incident proved me wrong & I resolved that dilemma by never interfering in someone else's problem ever again.

Years ago I witnessed this guy yelling abuse & physically restraining this woman on the street. She was screaming & crying & I instinctively ran over & pushed the guy away from her.
I held him down whilst she ran off down the street, flagged down a cab & drove off.

The guy broke down in tears.
Turns out he just found out she was cheating on him & was on her way to the airport to fly out of the country with their kids, without him knowing.

And I helped that happen, thinking I was a Good Samaritan.

So yeah, F that. I won't ever interfere in someone else's problem ever again.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 01:34 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Sorry tried to edit but got a double post instead.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2015 01:35 AM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Because morals =/= ethics.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 08:18 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote