KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » How would you better the world?

How would you better the world?
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

How would you better the world?

All of Earths governments, natural/anthropogenic resources, territories, and economies have been placed under your control. Social constructs such as religions, nationality/ethnicity, etc can also be rewritten at your whim. It is your job to devise a new system to ensure egalitarian happiness for everyone with Earths limited resources, while simultaneously ensuring no crime or war, freedom of choice, and doing your best not to pollute/deplete Earths resources. How would you go about it?

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Aug 21st, 2015 04:41 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Make them fund research in to fusion power. Tell them to cut the inequality stuff out. Find a way to save us from the impending coffee and cocoa bean shortage. And get rid of North Korea.

Also, stop giving money to Michael Bay and Uwe Boll.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2015 10:19 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

The most important aspect in any country is education. If you give everyone a good education, everything else will solve itself.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 12:29 AM
Van Hohenheim is currently offline Click here to Send Van Hohenheim a Private Message Find more posts by Van Hohenheim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

By giving the power i have back to all the appropriate parties.
No way should i or any one person be trusted with all that.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 02:25 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yeah. I would nuke the place.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 02:46 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I would nuke certain places.

Thats what i mean though. Reading the OP i thought of about 4 different ways i'd abuse the power and none immediately came to mind that were actually helpful.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 03:09 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'd start with minimizing the cultural memes of self-aggrandizement and entitlement. Eg, having a Facebook page doesn't make you a reality star. And greed is bad.

I'd cherish and reward acts of charity, kindness and compassion, as well as long-term, intelligent and altruistic planning for the benefit of all humankind. I'd hail good, effective teachers and scientists as the new rock stars. Singers, movie stars and pro athletes would all be on the back tiers of importance.

Moral relativism/equivalence would end. Political correctness would get a major overhaul to minimize oversensitive wussiness.

I'd insist on people taking personal responsibility for their own lives and behavior, not just ranting about rights. Rights w/o responsibility = recklessness; responsibility w/o rights = slavery.

And yeah, if necessary, scorched-earth would be part of my foreign policy.

In time, my stern but ultimately benevolent monarchy would blanket this world with sufficiently distributed resources for global peace and prosperity.

Oh, one last thing: I'd fund research into resurrecting a Jack Kirby clone. Man I'd love to see what he could do with today's computers and art programs.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Aug 22nd, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 10:41 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I suppose living under your dictatorial thumb's be worth it for that last bit about cloning Kirby....thumb up

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 11:04 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've said this before: find out a safe easy and reversible way to sterilize people. This way we don't have teenagers having kids or people who are unfit to be parents raising children, etc. You have to pass a battery of physical and mental tests to be allowed to have a child. I'd also limit the number of kids to 3-4 max. No more of this 8 or 12 god damn kids in a family.

This won't solve everything, but I do believe a persons upbringing plays a huge role in how they turn out, and thus this way we can at least greatly increase the chances that upbringing will be positive.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2015 02:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
I've said this before: find out a safe easy and reversible way to sterilize people. This way we don't have teenagers having kids or people who are unfit to be parents raising children, etc. You have to pass a battery of physical and mental tests to be allowed to have a child. I'd also limit the number of kids to 3-4 max. No more of this 8 or 12 god damn kids in a family.

This won't solve everything, but I do believe a persons upbringing plays a huge role in how they turn out, and thus this way we can at least greatly increase the chances that upbringing will be positive.
thumb up Along a similar vein: parent licensing. No kids, unless you are ready for them, emotionally as well as financially.

Again, rights and responsibility, not one w/o the other.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2015 10:18 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think I'd also like to somehow make at least 2 years of college mandatory with free community college.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2015 03:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

By ruling it with an iron fist.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2015 10:28 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
By ruling it with an iron fist.

See I rule my planets with fists made of platinum.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 25th, 2015 10:37 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

laughing out loud

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Aug 26th, 2015 12:04 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Invest in liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology and roll it out around the world thus removing the need for fossil fuels for energy production and instead only for chemical processes. Would also have secondary benefits of being utilised for cleaning up current stockpiles of waste generated from heavy water reactors and also produce vital radionuclides required in diagnostic medicine.

Lift all restrictions on genetic modification to allow crop viability in parts of the world where it is currently very difficult to do so thus alleviating hunger.

Nationalise pharmaceutical companies to ensure research is geared towards curing diseases outright rather than profit focused repeat 'treatments'

Remove all notions of hereditary entitlement of power ie monarchies and aristocracies.

Increase funding on space exploration.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Aug 26th, 2015 12:28 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

Originally posted by jaden101
Invest in liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology and roll it out around the world thus removing the need for fossil fuels for energy production and instead only for chemical processes. Would also have secondary benefits of being utilised for cleaning up current stockpiles of waste generated from heavy water reactors and also produce vital radionuclides required in diagnostic medicine.

Lift all restrictions on genetic modification to allow crop viability in parts of the world where it is currently very difficult to do so thus alleviating hunger.

Nationalise pharmaceutical companies to ensure research is geared towards curing diseases outright rather than profit focused repeat 'treatments'

Remove all notions of hereditary entitlement of power ie monarchies and aristocracies.

Increase funding on space exploration.

this man has my vote

Old Post Aug 30th, 2015 07:56 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clubcrawllasveg
Restricted

Account Restricted

I should be helpful to other people

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 03:16 PM
clubcrawllasveg is currently offline Click here to Send clubcrawllasveg a Private Message Find more posts by clubcrawllasveg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

unite us all against an enemy, either of foreign or own making

foreign = alien attack

own= dead planet and we need to resettle

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 11:37 PM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

At this point why not just fake an alien war, Wag the Dog style?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2015 05:05 PM
Genesis-Soldier

or create a genetic monster we need to kill

Old Post Oct 8th, 2015 06:27 AM