KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What's your personal morality?

What's your personal morality?
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Me, I tend to have a very libertarian point of view.

Essentially, I'll divide people into two classes:

1. Immediate threat (Physical/financial/psychological)

2. Non threats.

If you're in camp 2, you can live your life however you want afaic. I'll treat ambitious overachievers and shiftless lazy bums exactly the same way, because imo it's just not my place to judge people, and I feel no one else has the right to pressure others.

To that end, I certainly don't believe in the concept of "community" or "social responsibilty". NO ONE owes anything to society. Anyone who claims they do, is just a self interested arsehole trying to justify a belief that he's owed a good place to live, a good job, a good economy, a good country..

No. If you get these things, it's because enough individuals choose to he productive members of society for their own personal ends. You have no right to DEMAND that people provide you with their productivity.

If society fails, let it fail.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 01:42 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

As a Christian, I believe that there is an objective morality. At the same time however, I don't believe in Biblical inerrancy as many Christians do, and even if the Bible were a perfect work, it comes far from addressing every possible moral dilemma. My belief is that objectively moral actions are actions taken from an absolute knowledge of everything pertinent to the situation and the motivation of love (love of oneself and others) while objectively immoral actions are taken from that same absolute knowledge of everything pertinent to the situation but with the motivation of nihilistic fear instead (a visceral fear of worthlessness that either leads to self-destructive horror, apathy, or arrogance).

Granted, mankind is not omniscient, so transcendence after death aside, we'll never truly know that objective morality in our physical lifetimes, so while I believe in an objective morality, I believe morality in human hands is functionally subjective, as it should be. Unless a person is omniscient they should not suggest they have an understanding of objective morality. I do however believe people should stick to an internal moral compass of recognizing actions taken out of love as morally motivates and actions taken out of some form of that nihilistic fear as immorally motivated, and try to act out of love with whatever knowledge is available to them, as while the tool of perfect knowledge is not within our grasp, the ability to act with moral intention is.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 01:58 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Even if I were an atheist, I'd hold roughly the same moral stance and moral relativism disgusts me.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 02:21 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Even if I were an atheist, I'd hold roughly the same moral stance and moral relativism disgusts me.

If that was directed at me, I'm absolutely NOT a moral relavist.

More of a pragmatist.. Someone strikes an old woman, you step in, even if everyone says it isn't your business.

I just don't see the purpose in shaming people for living a lifestyle you deem indesireable/beneath you. Someone wants to screw around with a lot of women/men, what's it to you (Or me?)

Someone else isn't getting any and lives with cats? Or, has a "furry" fetish? So what? They're not hurting anybody.

Into drugs? Go ahead and enjoy? Smoking, drinking, go for it. Want to grow out your beard, eat a crate of twinkies and let yourself go? Hey, it's your life.

Pretty much every "social norm" that exists, exists solely to protect "haves" from "have nots", and this happens regardless of "democrat/republican" status. It's about keeping people down/hoarding privileges.

You know the old meme about the "peace and love" hippie who rails against "the system", until he becomes a sellout as soon as he achieves financial success and BECOMES "the system".

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 03:44 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

Meritocracy must trump the inevitable outcome that reality won't be perfectly egalitarian.

Generally my political beliefs, then I add in political realism.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 04:03 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by cdtm
If that was directed at me, I'm absolutely NOT a moral relavist.

Nah, just asserting my disgust with moral relativism. Also I agree with you as far as people conflating social norms with actual morality goes, and with condemning people for victimless actions.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 04:31 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I think everyone should be treated equally, unless they aren't running a two-parent household, then they should be punished. sad

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 11:38 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Yes terminating a human life because it's existence is inconvenient is not something I am morally comfortable with.

It has nothing to do with punishment. In fact I can't wait for the day when birth control is so advanced that unwanted pregnancies are no longer a problem. I don't have some weird fixation over wanting people to not **** each other out of wedlock if that's what you're implying.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:19 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Wasn't implying anything of the sort mate, my comment was about the proper enforcement of the nuclear family, two parents and two children, or else, you have a problem with this?

But I agree, people shouldn't have sex unless they're prepared to have kids. thumb up

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:26 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: What's your personal morality?

Moral nihilist.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2017 05:38 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I'm mostly on board with the mostly universal standards. You shouldn't kill, steal, rape, etc. I do however, see where some of those crimes could be committed.
Killing someone to protect your family for example. Stealing so you don't starve to death. Not saying there shouldn't be punishment, but i can understand how normally good people would do things that are morally wrong to the majority.
(except rape, I can't think of a scenario where that would be reasonable).

Old Post Jun 30th, 2017 08:41 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Re: What's your personal morality?

Originally posted by cdtm

I try not to be a dick, while realizing the world isnt set up to make that possible 100% of the time.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2017 10:25 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

I wish I was a better person.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 06:08 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ What makes you think you are not?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:14 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Regardless of how good you are that's a pretty good thing to want.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:36 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Meh. I'm fine the way I am

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:39 PM
Afro Cheese

Did I say a better person? What I meant to say was

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 10:25 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Lol. I like that song

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:09 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 02:09 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Don't be a dick. Words to live by. It really is that simple

Old Post Jul 20th, 2017 07:42 PM