KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Why does the concept of a room exist?

Why does the concept of a room exist?
Started by: MythLord

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MythLord
Diamond

Why does the concept of a room exist?

Based on what I said here. So... why do rooms exist?

True, there's stuff like shelter from the elements, but those needs can be met other ways. Why do we humans need a special space for purely ourselves?

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 10:55 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Well let's see, I'll take care of the basic pragmatic physical housebuilding architecture shit first. Walls make for some quality structural support for a roof or higher rooms, also not a bad place to put lightswitches and shit, lean stuff against, or put stuff on.

But also we value our privacy... important thing. If I'm taking a shit for example, I'm happy there's a separate room for that... and more happy if it's other people taking a shit, I don't need to see that. Also, my parent's bedroom was right across the hall from mine when I was growing up... and I'm glad I didn't see them pounding each other, same with my roommate whose room is rather close to mind, I don't need to see what he does with his girlfriend. Moreover, I'm happier there was a wall and door inhibiting my parents from seeing me fap in my room cuz that would be awkward. Also me and everyone else I've ever lived with is happy to have a room where they can change clothes in private, and where they won't be disturbed while sleeping.

Third because it's good for organization if you have separate spaces with different functions, a kitchen, a bedroom to sleep in and game in, a living room to meet up with other people in your house to watch TV and chill n shit, a bathroom to literally shit in and shower in, etc.

Lastly, because by our nature we simultaneously create and seek sovereignty in some part of our lives. In public anyone can come up to me, any noise can be made, anyone could be watching me, and I don't really have the authority to put shit wherever I want or stand wherever I want if it's somewhere people are walking, or have privacy. In other parts of any house I've lived in that aren't my room, other people might be moving around, making noise, expecting a certain level of social decency, or attention, or some other thing from me or just doing an activity I might find distracting. In my room though I can put down all my shit, do whatever I want, entertain whatever guests I want or don't want, have privacy or solitude if I want, do shit without screwing with anyone else, masturbate, sleep without being disturbed, think in solitude, etc.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 11:29 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I think that the idea of separating space is so ingrained in our minds that making rooms is something that was bound to happen for us. Nevertheless I can still of very different/conflicting reasons for us to want to have them.

The first one is to be sure something can exist consistently over a given time. Think of yourself walking through the grasslands, exploring, hiking up a mountain and then walking back to your starting point. Barring a big stone or a crooked tree that you identifying on your way back, it's nearly impossible for you to guarantee that any of the spots you passed by remained the same during that little time. It's even hard to identify any "given space" if you don't make a mark. Animals will do this thanks to scents and taste, if things were to become odorless after their first passing they'd be pretty puzzled.

For us living in a constant unawareness of space becomes tiresome, so after secluding a certain space we can easily convince ourselves that such room is continuous over time and that it's a place we can "return to".

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 11:32 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Re: Why does the concept of a room exist?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MythLord
...we humans need a special space for purely ourselves...

You just answered your own question.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 11:33 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

I asked why do we? It's obvious we need it, but why? The deeper psychological sh!t is at hand here.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2019 01:55 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I asked why do we?

^^^Because we’re human IS the why.

Sometimes the answer is simple.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2019 03:59 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

May as well ask "why do concepts like good and evil exist?"

"Why does virtually every society have a concept of spirituality/religion/higher powers?"

"Why do parents love their kids?"

"Why is murder considered wrong?"

I dunno, I like Riv's take.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2019 08:24 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

The deeper psychological sh!t is at hand here.
Power.

Shelter. Protection. Privacy.

Physical, emotional and egoic power.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2019 11:20 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

For once I agree with Riv.

The answer is astoundingly simple. No need for melodrama.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 06:04 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

We as humans fundamentally seek out territory because the world is composed of order and chaos. We adapt to it by adventurously exploring the unknown so we can naturalize it into what is habitable for us. Our rooms are our innermost sanctums in geographic space.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 06:46 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by Mindship
Power.

Shelter. Protection. Privacy.

Physical, emotional and egoic power.

And for sex and masturbation. eek!

It would be weird if anyone could look in on you at any point. Some activities are best practiced with privacy. confused

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2019 03:09 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hayama
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am bad in philosophy, but this question is interesting for me. I am future teacher. Now I am college student and like studying. But sometimes have troubles with essays. Now I am working on one of writing compositions. How to write a rhetorical analysis i found here This is a bit hard task for me. So i will apply for help.

Last edited by hayama on Apr 11th, 2019 at 05:21 PM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2019 05:18 PM
hayama is currently offline Click here to Send hayama a Private Message Find more posts by hayama Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Jesus."In My Father's mansion life is but one room."
If we as the son's of Great Britain build our own place.
You see the fundamental aspects can belong for every nation under God.
Indivisible.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Aug 16th, 2019 03:01 PM
Wonder Man is online now! Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Re: Why does the concept of a room exist?

Based on what I said here. So... why do rooms exist?

True, there's stuff like shelter from the elements, but those needs can be met other ways. Why do we humans need a special space for purely ourselves?

Masturbation.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2019 06:34 AM
CaveDude33211 is currently offline Click here to Send CaveDude33211 a Private Message Find more posts by CaveDude33211 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote