KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » What determines if a character is above Street Level?

What determines a street leveler?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Powers 24 80.00%
Feats 3 10.00%
Location 0 0%
Statistics 2 6.67%
Other 1 3.33%
Total: 30 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What determines if a character is above Street Level?
Started by: Tha C-Master

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Question What determines if a character is above Street Level?

This one has been on my mind for awhile... the terminology of what is Street Level is too vague. Some would consider Spiderman street level, and others would argue he's beyond. In terms of what and who he fights he would be Street Level, but in terms of powerset he is beyond DD, Cap, Batman, etc. So I can see what both sides are getting at.

Is it the fact that they cannot fly? Or that they are fighting normal crooks and "people on the street", or what? What makes a character street level, and where would you draw the line.

Powers.
Feats.
Location.
Statistics.
Other.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 04:34 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
endrict
Restricted

Account Restricted

anyone around human level----superhuman

Sig done by me.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 05:53 PM
endrict is currently offline Click here to Send endrict a Private Message Find more posts by endrict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by endrict
anyone around human level----superhuman
So by your definition guys like Wolverine and Spiderman are above Street Level since they have superhuman abilities? Or do you mean in terms of physical aspects, which would make Wolverine arguably Street Level?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 05:57 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
endrict
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes Logan is meant to be street level - above street level but stupid writers and fans make him a God.

BTW this isnt a vs thead.

Sig done by me.

Last edited by endrict on Nov 1st, 2006 at 06:29 PM

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 06:24 PM
endrict is currently offline Click here to Send endrict a Private Message Find more posts by endrict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Humans (Batman) to low level superhuman(Cap, peak human my ass)

Wolverine would be street level if not for the healing factor which makes him a low mid tier guy. Spider-Man would be a notch above him.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 06:29 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
complexbrother
The protector of logic

I agree with most of this thread . Street level is for the heroes that dosn't have and "active" powers like super strength, speed, energy blasts, and invunerability . people say that Spider-man is street level because of the location and type of criminal he usually fights, but according to the Marvel U database itself, thats not right. now a streetlevel hero can acclaim top hero status (Batman, Daredevil) but the true meaning of Street level simply means that a hero has no more actual phyical powers (notice I didn't say skill or gadjets) than the common thug, hired goon, bank robber that they fight every night. plus it don't hurt to work in an urban enviroment . allthough there are excptions for every rule.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 07:15 PM
complexbrother is currently offline Click here to Send complexbrother a Private Message Find more posts by complexbrother Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Yes Logan is meant to be street level - above street level but stupid writers and fans make him a God.

shhh....

Originally posted by Validus
Humans (Batman) to low level superhuman(Cap, peak human my ass)

Wolverine would be street level if not for the healing factor which makes him a low mid tier guy. Spider-Man would be a notch above him.
So any touch of "superhumaness" makes them not street level.

I take it Cyclops and Shadowcat aren't street level either?

Originally posted by complexbrother
I agree with most of this thread . Street level is for the heroes that dosn't have and "active" powers like super strength, speed, energy blasts, and invunerability . people say that Spider-man is street level because of the location and type of criminal he usually fights, but according to the Marvel U database itself, thats not right. now a streetlevel hero can acclaim top hero status (Batman, Daredevil) but the true meaning of Street level simply means that a hero has no more actual phyical powers (notice I didn't say skill or gadjets) than the common thug, hired goon, bank robber that they fight every night. plus it don't hurt to work in an urban enviroment . allthough there are excptions for every rule.
I didn't know the database itself said that... nevertheless we are all in conjunctive agreement that it's the degree of physicality without anything else that makes them street level?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 07:47 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

This is always problematic.

"Street Level" is a discussion board term, not a strict definition for actual comics. So there isn't really a set level.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:17 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by complexbrother
, but according to the Marvel U database itself, thats not right.
This got me here.

And nevertheless, what would set the standards of streetleveledness?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:21 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Tha C-Master

A guy who can vaporise a whole forest and take out multiple sentinels. Hell no.

Shadowcat may have been street when she started but not any more. Ninja skills + Heart pull FTW.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:23 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by grey fox
A guy who can vaporise a whole forest and take out multiple sentinels. Hell no.
I wouldn't consider him one either, but people made it seem physical.

What about Beast? He's been upgraded, but would he be considered above Street Level?

Shadowcat may have been street when she started but not any more. Ninja skills + Heart pull FTW.
So her intangibility allows her to take street levelers with ease, correct?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:26 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

I wouldn't consider him one either, but people made it seem physical.

Cyclops's main ability is his optic blasts , said blasts can level a small city or moon. That is not street level.

What about Beast? He's been upgraded, but would he be considered above Street Level?

Not sure . Beast is.....tricky. People aren't entirely sure whether his strength level is 25 tons or 2. The healing factor amps him up but i dont believe it's very effective. So far he just seems to be a more cat like version of Wolverine (with super intelligence)

So her intangibility allows her to take street levelers with ease, correct?

On KMC yes.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:32 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by DigiMark007
This is always problematic.

"Street Level" is a discussion board term, not a strict definition for actual comics. So there isn't really a set level.

Exactly.

The only way to define it would be to classify anyone who primarily operates on/near the "streets" to be a street leveller. And even that's shaky.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:35 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Cyclops's main ability is his optic blasts , said blasts can level a small city or moon. That is not street level.
I agree, so I imagine you would place him low mid tier?

Not sure . Beast is.....tricky. People aren't entirely sure whether his strength level is 25 tons or 2. The healing factor amps him up but i dont believe it's very effective. So far he just seems to be a more cat like version of Wolverine (with super intelligence)
Beast is a hard one to guage because he hasn't had enough feats to show for himself.

On KMC yes.
Which is what matters the most, so you think that Wolverine, DD, Bats, are street level?

Or anyone Cap and below?

Originally posted by H. S. 6
Exactly.

The only way to define it would be to classify anyone who primarily operates on/near the "streets" to be a street leveller. And even that's shaky.
So Spiderman/Cyclops are street level to you then?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:39 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I think the level of threats/villains a character deals regularly is what decides whether or not the are a street level and not their actual stats. For instance I considered Luck Cage a street level hero.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:40 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I think the level of threats/villains a character deals regularly is what decides whether or not the are a street level and not their actual stats. For instance I considered Luck Cage a street level hero.
Ok then this is what makes Spiderman a split in the middle.

By definition of abilities he is widely considered "beyond" Street Level, but many of his classic villans are just clowns... so does he stay Street Level because Vulture still gives him trouble?

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:43 PM
Starscream M

I personally think the most important factor is the enemies you fight regularly, because really that shows what the writers intended the character to be.

For example, batman and DD are def street level. Just look at their gallery of rogues, mostly humans who aren't necessarily even peak.

Spiderman, Wolverine and Captain America are not street levels. Wolverine often fights with superfoes like Hulk, Sabretooth, etc. Spiderman often fights venom, carnage, etc and Captain America is fighting super foes of avengers, not some human with mental issues.

so for me, its pretty clear who are street level and who isn't.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:56 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

If writers make him a God, wouldn't that imply that he isn't meant to be a street level?

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 08:58 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

So any touch of "superhumaness" makes them not street level.

Not any touch. Like I said, I consider Cap superhuman but he's still street level in my view. Daredevil has the radar sense but still street level. Cyclops and Shadowcat definitely aren't street level, not forum wise anyway. Shadowcat could possibly take down a top tier if she got lucky enough.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 09:12 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by masterbruce
I personally think the most important factor is the enemies you fight regularly, because really that shows what the writers intended the character to be.

For example, batman and DD are def street level. Just look at their gallery of rogues, mostly humans who aren't necessarily even peak.

Spiderman, Wolverine and Captain America are not street levels. Wolverine often fights with superfoes like Hulk, Sabretooth, etc. Spiderman often fights venom, carnage, etc and Captain America is fighting super foes of avengers, not some human with mental issues.

so for me, its pretty clear who are street level and who isn't.
So you don't see Cap above Street level? Despite his jobber aura? What is he on the forum? Most would consider him street level here...

Originally posted by Validus
Not any touch. Like I said, I consider Cap superhuman but he's still street level in my view. Daredevil has the radar sense but still street level. Cyclops and Shadowcat definitely aren't street level, not forum wise anyway. Shadowcat could possibly take down a top tier if she got lucky enough.
What areas are Cap superhuman in.

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2006 09:30 PM